BC Boards

The drawback of video on the web ...

I don't have speakers either, but I could see that poor dog panting. The ducks didn't seem to be concerned. Maybe they are used to it. Didn't hear the commands, but you can tell your dog, dishwasher- for a come-bye and if that's what they learn, WT Heck? Only you and your dog know- same with whistles, no one knows when you mess up-

If you peruse youtube, you will come across a well known clinician giving a sheepdog clinic. In the segment aired, there is a small pen with sheep in it. The dog was supposed to half circle the pen and stay off it. I once was asked to do that with Lucy- this is to work on widening the outrun. I didn't get it, Lucy didn't get it, and it was a disaster. I am not saying for certain dogs it wouldn't work, but for Lucy, all she wanted to do was find the gate :rolleyes:

but you can tell your dog, dishwasher- for a come-bye

Oh thank Dog you showed up, Dianne! I have a question for you. Ok ok ... so when I'm ball-herding with my dog (who I know works stock because she herds my other dogs -- so I don't really need sheep for this exercise ... it will just transfer right over), when she casts out to the left, I will yell, "DISHWASHER"! Ok ... I'm sure she'll pick that up, no problem. My question is ... what do I say when she goes to the OTHER side? "Washing Machine"? Should the whistle be wheet-woo-wheet? Or Woo-wheet-woo?

For the rest of you, on a more serious note, I have written to the organization who posted the video, asked them to remove it, and gave them the link to this thread and told them that there's tons of good information to be had here.

Jodi