BC Boards

trial next weekend

I wasn't sure where else to post this question so I am sorry if it should have gone somewhere else.

My question is that my Aunt is competing in a herding trial (her first) next weekend and I would like to take Blaze but am concerned about him getting over excited and exciting the other dogs. He has been to agility trials before when he was younger and of course there it isn't as big of a deal because all of the dogs are excited. But given that I have never been to a herding trial before I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm not saying that I can't completely control Blaze but I am saying that he is a 20 month old typical male boy and I want to make sure that if something does happen that it will not be the end of the world.

What sort of "herding trial" is it? USBCHA trials are generally very dog-friendly as long as your dog is on lead, quiet, and polite. I have been to other events (AKC, AHBA) where they seemed much more strict about non-competing dogs being on lead and away from the active and stock areas. Perhaps you could contact the event organizers and find out what restrictions, if any, they have on "spectator dogs".

If you have doubts about your dog's behavior around the excitement, other dogs, and livestock - play it safe and leave him home for your first exposure to this type of activity. Enjoy!

And it is an AKC. So I may not take him. I do have another question though. We have always said that we didn't want to introduce him to sheep and herding because we haven't had children yet and were concerned about fully turning that switch to "on". But I have been thinking about it a lot recently and my thoughts are that it would

1. Be really good for him!

2. It would teach my DH and I how to handle him when he gets in that mode.

Why, He is already very peramiter protective at the house. There are some neighbors that can walk by and he is fine with them. 99% of the time it is because he sees them on a regular basis and likes them. And then there are some that he absoultely is not okay with and will have a fit over. Not to mention the diesel truck problem. He really wants to herd those. Any advice!

Well, I would probably choose to avoid potential problems and leave him home.

As for "turning on the switch" - if your dog is going to work your kids, he's going to work your kids whether or not you have exposed him to livestock - in fact, if he's working stock regularly, I think it would probably reduce what interest in he had in working your kids. But, the big thing is that you will need to teach him that working the kids is not acceptable (or the cats or vehicles).

My dogs all have worked sheep and cattle to one extent or another - when the only one that ever shows any "interest" in working a grandchild does so, I let him know immediately that that is not acceptable. Consistently, immediately, and definitely. At this point, a verbal correction of just his name and a "leave it" if he doesn't immediately break off is all it takes.

I don't believe you need any stockdog handling skills to deal with a dog that wants to work kids or cats - you need a good "leave it" command.

There is a recent and excellent thread concerning dogs that chase cars or other vehicles. Read it thoroughly if you haven't already. This is a bad habit that needs to be stopped now, for your dog's safety (and for the safety of others).

Best wishes!