BC Boards

Dew Pad

aBC4me

The other night I had to put Blaze in the tub to wash his paws after it got really dewy out and as I was washing them I noticed that the extra pad did not look right, it looked like someone had taken a cheese grate to the top layer. I have NO idea what could have happened. Is this normal?

Are you just saying it was roughed up looking or that it was raw and red? My dogs' pads (including the one up off the ground) tend to look really rough and that's normal. If it's actually scraped raw then I'd just put a little neosporin (the type without pain reliever) on it and keep an eye on it.

J.

It wasn't red at all, the color was completely normal. It was just scraped and the scraping looked like a cheese grater had gone over it. But given that none of his other pads look like this, and it's only the Dew pads (sorry, I really don't know what to call them) I wasn't sure if I should be concerned.

Check that all his nails are trimmed and he doesn't have a broken one. That can change their gait enough to cause wear on a pad that wasn't exposed before. It's not a problem, just something to check for.

(says the lady whose dogs all have Dracula nails. *sigh*)