BC Boards

older dog losing status?

My oldest border collie is a 13 year old bitch. And I mean that in all ways. She has always ruled by being really snarky and hateful without actually causing physical damage. Anyway, my male border collies hate her. An interesting thing has happened twice this week. I have caught the boys urinating on her blankets which makes me wonder if she is losing status in the pack and I haven't noticed it. Mentally and physically she seems to be doing fine but I wonder if she could be slipping in ways I am not noticing.

If you've actually seen them peeing on her bedding then my thought would be that they could be picking up on some weakness. I'd not let them do it though since, in my opinion, this wouldn't be acceptable behavior for a couple of reasons including I don't want to deal with urine soaked bedding. For the dogs I've had so far I think it is my choice to protect an older dog's status if I feel it's the right thing to do - for example if it would be stressful for the older dog.

Suzanne

If you've actually seen them peeing on her bedding then my thought would be that they could be picking up on some weakness.

It could be that. Or it could be she is leaking urine on her bed and they are marking over it. I wouldn't let them do it either, but I'd want to take in a urine sample just to be sure she didn't have an infection or some other medical problem.

When my poor old boy was slowly leaving us, the two younger dogs (labs) started doing alpha dog-esque things. Coop died in September and the girls are still duking it out for pack leadership; the youngest (Scout the BC) could care less. She'll always be the baby sister who gets pushed around.

Do be sure to have your old doggie checked out for UTI/kidney problems. However, I think the younger dogs starting to vie for alpha position is not unusual.