BC Boards

"Barbie Colles Can Herd, Really!"

Flamincomet

My mystery mutt Kaos (we think BC x ? the trainer thought BC x Kelpie, could be BC x lab, BC x ACD...meh) has a natural outrun, flanks beatifully, finds the balance point etc... on dogs. I had some friends who were stock dog knowledgeable that were fairly impressed with her. They suggested bringing her to stock to see if it played out. Well she was 6 at that point and had been heavily pet-ified by me NOT to herd dogs or anything so when we went she ate poop, played with the shadows on the ground (OCD issues) and basically acted like a goof. The trainer was very kind and said that I shouldn't waste our time by trying anymore and to just enjoy her, which I do. I know nothing of stock work except that if its not stock how can you presume to know what the dog WILL do on stock? Wouldn't it be like saying "Wow, look at that kid direct that bumpercar... betcha he'll be a formula one driver !"

Sara

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree but when I've seen working bred dogs playing with non working bred dogs, there is always a huge difference in their movement and manner (when isn't there?). I don't believe it tells you if the dog has what it takes or not, just that something more is there

Great, then we're all on the same page. :rolleyes: How ever, when you make a statement like "I agree," that you cant tell anything about the abilities of a working dog by ball chasing, or playing with another dog, then go on to say that "just some thing more is there," it tends to make a person think that you are conradicting yourself. The point I was making, was that it really doesnt matter what they do, until they do it on stock. :D

Robin, Yep for me too, the last incident of a dog not paying attention and running into something, cost me 800.00 bucks to fix! She was trying to do both, work other dogs, and sheep, on the wrong side of the fence! Expensive lesson.

yes.

It's unfortunatley a side effect of working a lot of places, on a lot of different, often difficult, stock. I try to prevent it but haven't managed too keep my own head free of tree branches long enough to be a credible point to my dogs.

I find work injuries a frustrating side effect and I try my best to prevent them....play injuries just make me mad at all involved!

<sigh> I was hoping that maybe it only occurred when herding other dogs.

I'm afraid one of Gel's soon-to-occur injuries is going to be stepping on his tongue and ripping it out. :rolleyes:

Oh yea, forgot about running into things. Have you ever seen a dog run into something while actually working stock?

Yes. My bitch Bess ran into a 3-foot DBH Oak Tree while we were herding fallow deer at Belle Isle. A few years later she impaled herself on a fallen tree branch while getting sheep out of a brushy fenceline.

for what its worth...

My best (most trained) dog is a dog herding addict. He'll be 8 tomorrow and i've never been able to knock it out of him. He will not play with balls, frisbees or fetch anything. He will however, play with toys by himself. Throwing them in the air while running, does somersaults.

This same dog has a bad habit of not watching where he's going on an outrun he is so fixated on his sheep that he has fallen over ditches etc and gone head over heels more times than I want to count. He just gets up and keeps going. A couple times I was just ready to correct him for cutting in and he went end over end..when he got up he bent out on his own..LOL I couldn't have corrected him better than he did on his own.

My best ball fetching, frisbee catching dog is my 2nd best working dog. He is obsessed with fetching and chasing the ball/frisbee and if nobody is there to throw/kick it for him he will do it for himself. He is constantly pushing his ball around the yard.

My other two do not dog herd nor do they fetch anything. They have their own quirky behavior and are ok workers.

I don't think how a dog plays is any indication of how well that dog will work or even if it will work at all. JMO

I agree, though i find it a really hard behavior to fix in my dogs. Billy is driving me nuts right now working Moss when we go on walks. I may just start him even though he's only 6 months old just to show him the difference.

Is starting them early something you would advise as a general "thing to try" with dog herders?

Jett is a Fly-working fiend. I know this is not the best habit for her to get into and am careful to enforce recalls frequently to make sure she's still listening to me and not totally fixated on Fly (and she's doing well with those) but with my living situation it is nearly impossible to exercise all three dogs adequately without exercising them together a lot of the time. Solo chases balls, Fly works Solo, and Jett works Fly. Jett and Fly look like something out of a John Woo "gun fu" movie scene a lot of the time, both pointed at each other, locked and loaded (Google "Chow Yun Fat" and "John Woo" if you don't know what I'm talking about):

killer.jpg

(sorry, no photos of Jett and Fly in action as of yet)

Although I know it is no indication of how talented or useful she will actually be on stock, I still find it striking how stereotyped the behavior of a working-bred dog is even at less than four months of age (Jett was stalking, heading, and eying Fly when she was only 9 weeks old) when there is movement to be controlled. I think the behavior of a dog around frisbees or balls is indicative of absolutely nothing and have seen some very stylish hounds and toy dogs when a ball is there to be chased. But I have ONLY ever seen other Border Collies -- and I mean real Border Collies -- work dogs the way Fly and Jett do. Although I don't think they are actually "herding" the other dogs (Solo does not respond to Fly's pressure, and yet she pantomimes all the movements despite the fact that she is not actually controlling him) I do think the working behaviors for which they are selected affect the way they respond to movement both on and off stock.

Jett is keenly interested in birds, hasn't seen stock yet (well, she did see some goats at a Christmas tree farm when she was very small but mostly they just freaked her out), isn't interested in chasing bikes, skateboards, or cars (whew). She'll be four months old Valentine's Day weekend. I will admit that I am very curious to see what she does her first time around sheep and have wondered if I should show her some soon before she gets the idea that only dogs are there for working.

I just teach them to lie down and take turns fetching. When I was really trying Frisbee we worked up to several being sent together and everybody had their own "side" of me to catch from.

Frisbee...is boring btw :rolleyes: I didn't stick with it long when someone wasn't helping me stay motivated. My throwing genetics are poor and I would rather not do it. :D

to answer the other part of your question...yes, I do think it helps to show them what is "right" to herd oaccassionally so they get an outlet for that in their head. Occassionally only - as she is too young to start (and I know you know that)

I've seen other herding breeds, and some gun dogs "herd" each other like BCs do. Some of the working breeds will as well, but they really do seem to have a quick leap between control and prey :rolleyes:

Is starting them early something you would advise as a general "thing to try" with dog herders?

Not necessarily. The most intense, focused dog herder i've ever owned would look a lot like Billy to anyone else when with the dogs. Both she and he show(ed) a lot of eye and cast on other dogs. She no longer lives with me because she never would work sheep and was scared of them, despite no bad experiences with them while growing up. He, on the other hand, is showing intense focus and desire when he does work sheep (no pressure from me of course) and there's just something about him that feels different to me. She was just having a good time and playing where he seems to be craving work of some kind. Hard to explain and seriously, they'd have looked just the same to anyone else watching them flying around and eying the other dogs. As usual, the answer is "depends on the dog" (and maybe the trainer). :rolleyes:

I will admit that I am very curious to see what she does her first time around sheep and have wondered if I should show her some soon before she gets the idea that only dogs are there for working.

I'm requesting video of the first sheep introduction! Whenever that may be...

Solo chases balls, Fly works Solo, and Jett works Fly.

A friend of mine has several dogs ... and her dogs will line up like this when there is a ball around. She feels they line up according to their order in the pack. Melanie, seeing the order of your dogs, I'm now wondering if there isn't some truth to it.

Jodi

Mine just all lined up next to each other, side by side and made a semi circle around me. Oh, dogs said thanks btw for making me get out and throw the ball. With ewes lambing, and no work, they needed and appreciated the run.

Mine line up in the order they were acquired -- Solo is the only one that is actually obsessed with the ball, and he also has the closest relationship with me, so he totally tunes out the other dogs and wouldn't work them regardless of what they were doing. (For the record he's never worked another dog -- chased, yes, made the moves around, no.)

I suspect that when Jett matures she will have higher status than Fly. Fly was born to be a _________ banana (second, third, fourth, whatever) and lives to orbit around someone else, be that a person, dog, or amoeba. I always wonder what she would be like as an only dog. I kinda think she'd be lost. If she were a wolf in a pack, she'd be the one who always gets left behind to babysit the pups and she'd be totally cool with that. I don't think Jett will ever try working Solo -- she respects him too much for that. She also seems to realize that he's a few cards short and that it is important not to get on his bad side. Fly can get unfortunately forgetful about that.