BC Boards

How to learn what life with a deaf dog is like

Just get a case of laryngitis :rolleyes:

It has the very same effect. There you are, well-trained dogs trotting cheerfully ahead of you on the trail, when for whatever reason you decide to recall them. Except that they are facing forward, and you can't make a sound.

Actually, I discovered that if I tried hard enough, I could produce a sort of eerie, high-pitched squeak, which caused them both to whip around immediately with surprised looks that said "What the %^!@ was that???" Got their attention, but at some cost to my poor, abused vocal chords.

Seriously, if you want to know what life with a deaf dog would be like, try using only non-auditory communication methods for a day.

(Trying very hard to view the glass as half-full here, but winter is definitely testing my patience this week. Luckily, the dogs understand their job as nursemaids fairly well, possibly better than human nurses, as there is nothing more effective than a snuggly, fur-covered heating pad to cheer you up when you are confined to your bed.)

Sounds like an interesting experience (although a bit painful). I did a some hand signal training with my old GSD/Rough Collie and it turned out he went profoundly deaf the last 3 years of his life. Boy, was I glad we had those commands learned. You don't realize how much you rely upon voice command and visual cues, until you can't really use them.

Sorry to hear about the laryngitis -- hope it heals soon!

There you are, well-trained dogs trotting cheerfully ahead of you on the trail, when for whatever reason you decide to recall them. Except that they are facing forward, and you can't make a sound.

Now I know why I have this dam*ed whistle hanging around my neck! :rolleyes:

A

Just remember, it is bad to try and use your voice when you have laryngitis. So, a whistle might be a very good investment, since, from what I have read, some folks are more prone to repeat attacks of this than others...

Just get a case of laryngitis :rolleyes:

It has the very same effect. There you are, well-trained dogs trotting cheerfully ahead of you on the trail, when for whatever reason you decide to recall them. Except that they are facing forward, and you can't make a sound.

Actually, I discovered that if I tried hard enough, I could produce a sort of eerie, high-pitched squeak, which caused them both to whip around immediately with surprised looks that said "What the %^!@ was that???" Got their attention, but at some cost to my poor, abused vocal chords.

Seriously, if you want to know what life with a deaf dog would be like, try using only non-auditory communication methods for a day.

(Trying very hard to view the glass as half-full here, but winter is definitely testing my patience this week. Luckily, the dogs understand their job as nursemaids fairly well, possibly better than human nurses, as there is nothing more effective than a snuggly, fur-covered heating pad to cheer you up when you are confined to your bed.)

I had the same thing happen last winter. Luckily when I don't speak Jackson will walk next to me and periodically make eye contact, probably because it is so weird for me to be quiet lol :rolleyes:

But one day I was walking and this off leash hyper-crazy doodle thing (at about 80+lbs) came running full speed over to me and started jumping on me. I had my treat bag on me and he literally ripped it off my waist, almost ripping the pocket off my jeans. Then he bumped Jackson out of the way to jump on me and stole his frisbee. The owner was jogging away from me and didn't see this. I couldn't yell at the dog and the owner had his back to me. I actually started to panic a minute because i was afraid Jackson was going to take care of the situation for me. He is usually pretty calm, but only when I have the ability to take care of the situation. I finally stomped my feet really loud and was able to make a deep growl with my lip curled. The dog didn't even react to obvious "Back off!" signals, but the owner heard my feet stomping (did I mention he was running with headphones in as well? With his ill-mannered mop of a dog off leash.) and called him. After another minute of him jogging away from me and repeatedly saying "Max, come" the dog finally ran off. I immediately praised Jackson with hugs and pets and treated him for being so good.

After that I carry a spray bottle just in case and try not to go out in areas where I might be in the same situation without my voice. 'Cause I doubt whistles work on idiot owners like they do on my dog :D