BC Boards

An odd question

OffTopic

We are going to go look at two 3 year old keeshonds tomorrow with the thought of buying one. We lost our old kees, Max, recently and have decided we want another.

The problem? The breeder (an AKC show breeder....I know, but the alternatives are worse for this breed) called me to let me know that both females just went into heat.

Well, goody.

I've never dealt with this. I've had female dogs, but I always had them spayed before the first heat cycle.

Finn is neutered, so I have no worries about pregnancy, but I have no idea how he is going to react to a female in heat. He was neutered in October.

Anyone ever run across this particular situation?

Are we in for a really rough 3 weeks if we get one of these dogs? Is Finn going to drive the poor girl crazy? I hate to put her (and us) in that kind of situation in a brand new home.

I have an older neutered boy- neutered at 5, so he was fully mature. He never reacted at all to Lucy being in heat whatsoever. You could wait to bring her home, or just get some pants for her to wear in the house (you can use boys underwear, or buy those cute denim duds at petco, like I did :rolleyes: Congrats! Pics are obligatory you know.

I've never dealt with a female in season. Recently on one of my lists, a couple of people were saying that even neutered dogs could have intercourse with a female in season. I had never heard of such a thing. :rolleyes: Have no idea if it's true, but these are very reasonable people whose posts I've been reading for a long time.

My neutered male (neutered as a young pup) happily tied with one of my fosters who showed up here in heat, so it can definitely happen.

Great.

get some pants for her to wear in the house (you can use boys underwear, or buy those cute denim duds at petco, like I did Congrats! Pics are obligatory you know.

The breeder uses PullUps training diapers with a hole cut out for the tail. But I like the idea of the denim.

And I will certainly post pictures. Especially if I end up with a dog in diapers.

When someone brought a bitch here to breed to Tweed, my neutered male Joe started to howl and carry on before the car had made it into the driveway. This was the dog who couldn't eat when there was a bitch on heat on the farm. And where between the three other shepherds who worked there, there were about three months out of the year when there were either bitches on heat, just coming in, or just going out twice a year.

My old guy, 13, has been neutered since he was 2 or younger. He will tie with any and all of my females when they come in. Still. I try to prevent it, just for GP, but he's REALLY quick and sneaky. In his old age, one of the few perks he has, I guess :rolleyes:

A

Ah, geez.

So should I just get out the Barry White music and leave them alone?

The breeder is 2 hours away, so not a bad trip. I guess I can ask her if she'd hold the dog until she's out of estrus. Or let me bring her back if Finn causes too many problems for her.

I just don't want this to be too stressful on the new doggie (assuming we even get one...which we probably will), too stressful on Finn, who is still a bit new but wonderfully adjusted, or too stressful on us. Me in particular since I'm home all day and will have to listen to the whining and heavy breathing.

Jackson and Skip are intact. Lucy, Missy, and Cheyenne are spayed. Jackson would mark where they peed, but then he did that with Skip too. Skip, OTOH would follow the girls around with his nose stuck up their behinds! And with all the fur they had back there his face practically disappeared! And to top it off, I think Holly is getting ready to come in heat!

Good luck. Can't wait to see pics of the new dog!

You could just keep the bitch crated in a Vari-kennel and let her out at different times than Finn (alternate them in crates, with his crate in a different area than hers). You're going to want to leash walk her, etc., anyway to insure that no "Roving Romeos" get to her. She'll be standing for roughly one week out of the three-week cycle, so you're not talking a lot of time that you'd need to keep the separated.

Otherwise, you're talking mabe a two-week delay if you leave her where she is until she goes or is going out (in *general* it's one week coming in, one week in/standing, and one week going out). If we wait till she's in the last week before picking her up, chances are you'd be safe to have the two together, but you might still want to be careful that last week (since you won't know her well enough to know what her typical heat cycle is).

J.

Solo was about 18 months old when he was neutered and is still quite studdish around bitches in heat. He may have been a breeding dog in the past (I know -- scary). He managed to tie with Fly on two separate occasions and did not look confused about it at all. So if you don't want to deal with it, I'd keep them separated.

Fly was no problem when she went into season. If anything, she became even more cheerful than she usually is (which is really freaking cheerful). I had her wear an old pair of my bikini underwear with a pantyliner in it. The only issues occurred when I forgot to take them off her before going out for a walk, which my neighbors found highly entertaining.

I had no idea they could do that! But, along these lines, when my daughter brought Beau home (her Thoroughbred gelding), he and my Molly (my Thoroughbred mare) had quite the "honeymoon", so maybe I should have guessed although I'll admit I never gave it a thought.

The six months that Donald's sister Arwen lived with us were very interesting...She came into her second heat about two months after her second birthday. She picked out my neutered Red Dog to be her boyfriend and wouldn't leave him alone until she had seduced him. She was shameless!!!!! She kept herself clean, I never used a pad or pants on her. I crated her when I was working or *gasp* showing the house(we were in the process of moving). This little hussy would leap over the deck railing to get to the boys. When the two/three weeks was finished she gave Red Dog the brushoff and he was quite confused and hurt....

I was told by a breeder to be careful if she tied with any of the dogs...if you scare them they can become injured.

Arwen is now spayed and in a home where she is queen.

Good luck with your new pup. Just don't let her escape and be bred!

I am not sure about dogs, but I know with horses, when they are gelded, sometimes it isn't done right(I'm not a vet, just what some horse people told me)and they end up with what they call a "proud cut", the gelding cannot reproduce, but has all the inclinations of a stallion.

I was told by a breeder to be careful if she tied with any of the dogs...if you scare them they can become injured.

Oh yeah -- forgot to add that -- I had to keep an eye on Solo and Fly. They didn't seem to mind so it was only er weird for me, not for them.

The second time it happened Fly DID have her undies on, so don't count on Pull-Ups to keep them from doing the deed.

From the opposite perspective - the kennel where I used to board the BC3 was once home for a couple months to a stud dog for Guide Dogs for the Blind. He was a really sweet, gorgeous golden retriever. When I went to pick them up after their 'vacation,' the owner told me that Shoshone had made a beeline for this intact dog, and would not leave his side the entire 5 days they were there. She followed him around like a shadow, wagged her little hiney at him, and generally behaved in a shameless fashion.

We also had a clueless neighbor who had an unneutered yellow lab. Shoshone would just about throw herself at Max whenever they showed up at the park, it was almost embarassing. If I ever said his name, even at home, she'd jump up and start looking for him.

She's a quirky one.

Ruth n the BC3

ETA - yes, she was spayed before we got her.

Well, we have her home and so far, Finn has been a perfect gentleman. He's tried to get her to play, but she's still a bit nervous. So he's just going about his business and giving her hopeful looks. I hope this means we're in the clear.

He's just such a good boy. I swear we hit the jackpot with this little rescue guy. He is sweet and cute and obedient as long (as he understands what we're asking of him).

I hope we've hit the jackpot with this little girl, too.

Her kennel name is C'Keeper's Here For The Party. We don't particularly care for her current call name (Gretchen) so we're thinking of changing it. Something drink related, to keep in the "party" spirit of the kennel name, maybe.

I'll certainly be taking pictures, 'cause she's a beauty (and tiny at 26 pounds)!

OffTopic,

Please do post pictures, we had a kees for 13 years and I think of her often. I saw where you lost Max and I'm so sorry about that.

Alexandra was hands-down, the most gorgeous dog. And she knew it. When she was groomed that double coat would fluff out and I would call her Marilyn Monroe because she "worked it" all the time for attention, but pretended to be dumb, (she was not), when she needed to be manipulative. :rolleyes: Many people aren't familiar with keeshonds. I got weary of people asking if she was a chow, or whatever, so when we would be out walking and people would yell out how beautiful she was and what kind of dog is that, I'd agree with what they said--chow? yep! elkhound? uh,huh!--or I would yell out "She's a Humperdoodle!" :D

These dogs are awesome guard dogs, I swear she could hear a leaf turn from inside, and I always felt safe with her protecting me when I was in the house alone. Before she got too old and stubborn, she would run with me at night--those are my favorite memories of her--running in the moonlight. She was our nanny, a benevolent protector for the kids, but not much to rough house too much. She would often look at me with exasperation when the boys had a gazillon friends over and the house was loud with chaos. I guess she felt like she had done her job when my oldest left for college because she died the year he left.

As you know, they were bred to be guard dogs for barges in Holland, and she was so funny when she would hang out on the bow of our little boat, surveying the lake like a princess.

Please enjoy your new addition and post pictures..it's great that Finn is being so good to her!

Charlene

Ben has been neutered since he was eleven months old and he is quite studly. When I had intact bitches around there was no confusion at all involved in what he wanted to do! He tied on a few occasions with our bitch who had a wacky irregular cycle (she would essentially stay in heat and never ovulate).

Her kennel name is C'Keeper's Here For The Party. We don't particularly care for her current call name (Gretchen) so we're thinking of changing it. Something drink related, to keep in the "party" spirit of the kennel name, maybe.

Oo, oo! How 'bout Margarita? You could call her "Rita" for short.

my 2 shekels :rolleyes: