BC Boards

Walking on a lead

Here's another vote for the Gentle Leader! I have trained other dogs and never had too much problem, but my 15 mo. old BC, Allie, is the exception. I love her to pieces, but walking on a leash was no fun at all!! We have also done obedience and will be starting an advanced level this next week, but the Gentle Leader has made our leash walks fun again.

Don't feel guilty because your pup is a puller, just be pro-active and take care of the problem. We have some off leash time (where Allie is fabulous), but she does need to learn that "leash time" is not "sled-dog" time. :rolleyes:

Your pup is a cutie, by the way! :D

"I'm trying to picture how this is configured. Can you explain? Is the leash attached to a collar and threaded between the legs and then around the belly? Seems like that would require more than a 6 ft lead."

We use a homemade Cahill harness, but it only works if you have a center ring collar to attach it to. I have a two page Word document that tells how to make and use the Cahill. It's very cheap, consisting of a swivel snap and a length of solid braid rope from Home Depot. I'll be glad to send it to anyone who sends me an email.

We tried the Easywalk no-pull harness made by Premier, but it didn't fit Ruby - she's too deep chested and narrow.

I use the Gentle Leader. Sasha is very strong and walking her is like maneuvering on a Nascar circut. I also usually walk all 3 of mine at once, so have developed a system which works really well. My setter/lab was also a big puller, and with the GL on (and sometimes off now), she has a perfect heel. Sasha still sort of hates it, but has figured out that she gets to go for a walk or run if I pick it up. I am going to look into the easywalk harness, too.

To be perfectly honest, I've also changed... more often than not, we go for runs now. A mile or three with the crew wears them out, is better for me, and there is MUCH less pulling because we're going at a good trot. (I should clarify - I'm not a runner. It's more of a slow jog. I hate running. Really. ) The only problems I really run into are the occasional cat or off-leash dog. Little me with almost twice my body weight on 3 leashes trying to get a cat is not a good thing!

Misty is a puller, its not energy for her, she can be dead tired and ready to drop, and she will still pull. so I hooked her up in a harness tied her to my bike and went for a ride. as in I just sat on my bike, if she wanted to pull she was gonna be pulling about 160lbs(me and bike) behind her, she pulls for about 2 blocks...then she just walks beside me lol she's not so bad when just walking anymore either, I have not needed her Halti in a while, I am now able to walk her on a normal collar.

Bordercentrics and Nancy - - -

No the leash is not between the legs - just around the belly - - Jo and Tex described it really well just a few posts up - - with the leash on the dog - - and the dog facing away -hold on to the leash back by the dog's waist - wrap the leash under the dogs middle and pass it under the leash- - no knot of any kind - it would be considered a half-hitch - - I will try to take a picture for you if it is still confusing - - I agree the Gentle Leader DID work in Tess's case - altho this is so much easier and works on the same concept - - but instead of whipping her head around it contracts on her belly - - and I don't have the fight with her about something on her muzzle -

Glad to hear it is working for some of you - it really is amazing the difference it makes - Tess will always be a puller am afraid but this gives me so much more control of her in those 'jacked-up' situations - - new dog - cats - etc

Maggie, Tess and Roz

I admit I did not read all of the posts, but Maggie's (RainierLass) had a good suggestion about the leash/harness trick, I have seen that done but I don't know how to do it???

The Gentle Lead Harness works miricals with my Phoenix ,he hated the headharness, (and so did I), he was sooooo BC determined! & I was afraid he would hurt himself somehow. I have actually gotten so I don't need it anymore after using it for a couple of months coupled with telling him, "easy walk", consistently and praising him when he did. I also have trained him by saying "walk close to me" & patting my leg, aka: heel without using the heel command, and that also works if he starts pulling because he WANTS to be out front. Every now and then while he is walking I call him back to my side for a couple of strides then let him have the lead...he seems to get it pretty good.

As a Trainer I highly recommend the Harness soulution, either the actual Gentle Lead or Maggies very cool way! :rolleyes: