BC Boards

Reverse Sneeze

aBC4me

Blaze was diagnosed with a reverse sneeze not too long ago and I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. We were VERY concerned about it when he first started presenting because I thought that he was precenting with kennel cough over and over. So we took a video of it and took it in to the vet and he told me right away what it was. Of course we tried to do a process of elimination and I thought that maybe it was cheese but it turned out that my DH has been giving him a piece everyday at lunch, so... the ONLY thing that I can say has helped him is the Fish oil. He hasn't had a BAD case in close to a month now but he still has the occasional small one that will last for 15 to 20 seconds, but only like once every week and a half or so. Any suggestions.

I never heard of using fish oil to prevent reverse sneezing. Interesting. Both my Lhasas would do that every so often. It seems to be more common in smaller dogs. It is generally considered harmless. With the first Lhasa, I just let him ride it out, but Chili seems to get upset and almost seems to be hyperventilating. His spells go on longer than the other Lhasa's did. I don't know if his reaction is making the sneezing last longer or he is reacting to a more intense attack. So I will usually pick him up and pet him which seems to help him stop sneezing and calm down.

Brechin has bouts of this from time to time. I too usually find that holding him and stroking him seems to help stop it. I also blow in his face but not sure if that helps or not. Interestingly though I do have to watch out that my oldest dog doesn't attack him when this happens. For some reason it really bothers her!

Jennifer

I never knew this had a name. My dogs, particularly my oldest one, Milo, will do this from time to time. It's very infrequent, though. When he has done it in the past, I would often rub his throat gently. I have no idea if it helped at all, but it made me feel like I was doing something for him. A lot of dogs that I had that were getting over KC seem to do this for quite some time afterward. So, maybe it just has something to do with needing to clear their sinuses.

I never knew this had a name. My dogs, particularly my oldest one, Milo, will do this from time to time. It's very infrequent, though. When he has done it in the past, I would often rub his throat gently. I have no idea if it helped at all, but it made me feel like I was doing something for him. A lot of dogs that I had that were getting over KC seem to do this for quite some time afterward. So, maybe it just has something to do with needing to clear their sinuses.

That's hilarious... you know what, Mary? Mickey reminds me of Milo, Charlie reminds me of Molly and Skittles reminds me of Jersey. Not in appearance, but personality and family roles.

Mickey does this too from time to time, and whenever I hear it I thought he was getting KC. I found this online:

A common remedy is to pinch the dogs nose and scratch their throat. Lightly blowing in their face may also help. The dog will swallow a couple of times and then stop the reverse sneezing.

Is this true?

Yes, actually my vet told me that blowing in there face helps because it makes them have to take a breath. as far as the Omega 3 goes, as soon as I put him on it it was like they were 98% gone.

Sorry I just watched the video and it is exaclty what Blaze does.

Yes, actually my vet told me that blowing in there face helps because it makes them have to take a breath. as far as the Omega 3 goes, as soon as I put him on it it was like they were 98% gone.

I've heard the advice about blowing in their face. It really is interesting about the Omega 3. Hmm.

The reason that he suggested the Omega 3 was because he said if it is an allergy to something that it would help with that. Like I said, I orginally thought that maybe it was cheese but come to find out my DH had been giving it to him behind my back so now I know that it wasn't cheese. Whatever it was, I am just going to stick with the omega 3 has helped, it's good for him anyway.

Wow! you dont know how many dogs in a week I see that come across my grooming table that do that! Ive always chalked it up to a collapsed tracea. I cant wait to tell some of my clients, that that may be what it is, and refer them to their vets to see! Interesting! Id never heard of a reverse sneeze, but Ive sure seen a lot of them! Thanks for the video.

My husband's dog, Kato, does this about once a week. We brought it up at the vet and after describing it we were told it was a reverse sneeze and that it wasn't anything to worry about. I'll have to see if blowing in his face helps!

One of ours does that too, at first I was really worried about what the heck was wrong with her then the vet told me about the reverse sneezing. It seemed to mostly happen in the spring and fall when the allergens are at the worst and come to think of it the salmon oil I started giving to them has made it a lot better.

Suzanne

My dog Meg did this a ton when I brought her home from the shelter with Kennel Cough - I thought that she was dying the first time I saw it. My vet also indicated that it wasn't a big deal. She still does it once in a while but never like what it was when she had KC. I just figured, based on what the vet said, that it was no different than an occasional sneeze, except that it was backwards.

. Interestingly though I do have to watch out that my oldest dog doesn't attack him when this happens. For some reason it really bothers her!

Jennifer

I had a foster dog six, no seven! years ago who reversed sneezed. He was pretty dominant over my dogs, but when he had a sneezing fit they would all try to jump on him.