BC Boards

curious about a breeder in VA

How bout one more chance to educate? I think this has been a good discussion for most green dog owners. I can see where the OP could be confused. I also think it's hard to learn the subtle nuances (not the colors) of a good breeder. If threads like these, minus the bashing of the Henrys although I think Christine defended/explained herself and her husband's ideals wonderfully and hopefully put to rest (she sure did in my opinion) any questions someone might find with their breeding practices. It takes so long to learn what it is to be a good Border Collie breeder (not talking about wanting to breed but what is a "good breeder") any added learning at an early stage is extra credit.

Ok...bash your heads till they fall off. :rolleyes: It's worth it if just one future bc owner learns something here.

Kristen

If people don't even read the exact thread they post in, what makes you think they're going to learn anything? Sorry, it just makes me nuts. I agree, it's been a good thread. Now SAMSON, go read the frigging thing. Then come back and tell us we're all snotty color-phobic bitches etc, etc, so we can all argue and rehash the same stuff over and over and over until the cows come home. With a REAL border collie behind them bringing them in! (no pretty coat colors please)

Actually, SAMSON, you may be a very nice, sensible person who will learn a lot without calling us snotty bitches, but believe me, that's the usual pattern....

Okay, I'll try.

Samson,

First of all, having at least two litters a year isn't necessarily something to be commended. It's not a point of pride for a breeder or anything.

Second, someone who keeps enough dogs to be able to provide any color puppy you could possibly want is putting color before all else, and as has been pointed out in this thread and numerous others, color is not an acceptable breeding criterion.

If you haven't read the "Read This First" thread at the top of this section, then perhaps you should. If you would like to discuss how to select a good breeder, you can start by reading this thread from the beginning and then coming back and asking questions.

It is something of an insult to David and Christine's breeding program--the hard work and consideration that goes into producing fine working border collies that are everything they're meant to be--to somehow compare it to this other breeder (as in implying that one is as good as the other, which is exactly what posting the new link in this thread did, IMO).

J.

>

Some breeders don't tell the whole truth. Some have flashy websites that say all the right things but don't have the reputation to back them up.

Ain't that the truth! And I agree with you that recommendations from people whose knowledge you trust is a good way to find a good breeder.

3dogslater, I certainly wouldn't think badly of you because of the questions you asked, and I doubt many other people would either. Especially in view of the way you've explained yourself in this post. There's nothing wrong with continuing to question and test one's own assumptions of what makes a good breeder.

I agree with you in part that the owner of the stud has as much responsibility for the appropriateness of the breeding as the owner of the dam, and I would certainly agree that all too many stud owners don't take sufficient responsibility. But I think back-to-back litters is pretty much exclusively a matter for the owner of the bitch to decide, because it affects only her health and well-being and not the quality of the litter. It is not necessarily a bad thing for a bitch to have two litters back to back, as was discussed on the thread Julie mentioned. (I'm not talking here about breeding a bitch on every heat, on and on, of course.) Much depends on the size of the first litter, how much stress it placed on the bitch and how quickly she recovered from it, etc., facts that are peculiarly within the knowledge and judgment of the bitch's owner. So while there are things I think the owner of the stud should take responsibility for about a breeding, I don't think this is one of them.

Hope that helps.

Samson, I deleted the name of the breeder you mentioned because I'd rather not see that type of breeder advertised on the Boards. To help you understand why, please read this and this.

Please don't take this in any way as a criticism of your pup, who I'm sure will give you lots of love and enjoyment.

Maybe you need to go into the bcsa web site and look up Janet Lewis. She wrote a great piece that appeared in the Nov/Dec 2004 Borderlines magizine called Epilepsy:The Breeder's Dirty Little Secret.

Good luck and God Bless.

I'm interested in this article, but I"m not a member of BCSA.

Has anyone read this? Is there a way I can get ahold of the article?

Thank-you

• 2 months later...

I just purchased a pup, Jinx, from David Henry and would highly recommend David and Christine to anyone wanting a true, working Border Collie, bred for their original purpose and standard.

I first emailed David about a pup and he promptly called me. That initial conversation pretty much told me I was dealing with a high-quality breeder. We talked again and made plans for me to visit his farm and dogs.

My wife and I met David and Christine and their dogs and we couldn't have been more impressed with their professionalism, knowledge, compassion, sincerity, and of course, the quality of their dogs.

It's only been two weeks since we've had Jinx, but so far he is everything I expected after watching the sire, McCloud in person.

Just great dogs and great people.

Craig

Oh, sweet! You've got my pup's brother :rolleyes: I have a male pup off Gordie Cline's Minnie X David Henry's McCloud. I've love to see pictures!

That's cool. Now I know where Jinx's brother Blaze is :-)

I'll try to post some pix this weekend when I get them off the camera.

Craig