BC Boards

The Off Switch

Ok, you just described me with my dogs. And it works for us, too.

Ahhh, but I do remember with one of my first BC's (she's the best couch tater I have right now) when I bought into the BC's have so much energy that you "have to" do all this stuff with them cause I hadn't learned differently yet. I lost major weight, rollerbladed almost 10 miles a day, cause I loved it, she did too! Even got to the point of having 3 rollerblading BC's. Got in the best shape I'd been in since highschool.

I'd like to have that back again, but for me, not the dogs! :rolleyes: They're in great shape!

The more you exercise and work and constantly stimulate him you do, the more he will need next time to maybe take the edge off his energy. Chesney for the last week (poor guy) has pretty much been stuck around the house with shorter walks around the block in the evening and he will pretty soundly sleep all day still, even though for the last 2 months he was getting worked (on sheep and cows) pretty consistently throughout the week. He's adjusted just fine :rolleyes: And still has a lot of stamina and is in good shape.

I think you need to chill out with him so he learns what acceptable behavior is in the house.

Oh, we DO have down time, at least, I TRY to, that is where the problem is. I love to read, and after being out in the 6 inches of snow with my pinky toe about to fall off I would love to just curl up on the bed and read a good book, but even AFTER all this exercise he is STILL bouncing off the walls and all that good stuff. And if I crate him there is no way I'd be able to read one sentence, as his shrieking and high pitched yelping is horendous.

Ok so crawl into bed, curl up under the covers, and when Ghost starts to bug you, give him a gruff "GET" (or your word or choice) and shove him off the bed or out of your eye contact and read! If he tries again, I'd up my gruffness, and a third time would get him unceremoniously put in his crate (probably right in my room or eye distance so he doesn’t forget I mean business) and back in the bed I'd get with my book and I’d be on Ghost ignore. It’s your energy that he’ll get and he will get the message if you mean business. No cheating and giving in, I don't mean the crate per say, but that you mean, LEAVE ME ALONE NOW! Start with short periods so you can get used to it. He will too!

Congrats on getting married. You're going to be having some major life changes that are going to cause Ghost some major upheavals if you don't start getting him to keep himself occupied without you.

I know you can do it!

Kristen

I think that perhaps you're not considering your most formidable ally: The Crate.

After a good play session, or outdoor run, crate your pup for a couple hours. This is good down time, and after the run they are more likely to initially settle. Once this seems to go over well, try randomly crating your pup 10-15 minutes at a time. After a nice play session is ideal, but be sure t mix it up, sometimes he may only be out for a little bit, some times hours before he goes in that crate for a little down-time. You can start using a command for this, "Kennel" or "Go Rest"... which will come to mean that you're about to be busy and good things come to those who wait--patiently. I think it goes without saying that all whining, yelping, begging should be ignored until it stops. Any time you cannot watch him: crate. When you do let him out, don't make a big deal out of it either. In fact, teaching a dog that they must sit or lay down before exiting is a good tactic, and something else you may be able to work on. Give him a good snack or trat in his kong during these crate periods.

This is an easier way to teach your puppy some patience and how to relax without having to be right on top of them. Its easier than teaching a pup to lie down for an extended period, too.

However, the crating I used initially. When my dogs turned a year and gained a bit more freedom, I taught them to lie down...and lie down until I said it was ok to get back up. I let them chew their rawhides, play low-key bitey-face, nice quiet things during this, but the rules are they must be by me and they must not be bouncing around. This comes about by insisting they lie down every time they get up, making them lie down right back where they got up from, until they finally cave in and are still for a good 10 minutes, then its "OK! good dog, lets go.." and we go have some fun. 10 minutes turned into 15, then 20...etc, you get my drift.

Your description of all you do with Ghost sounds like more than enough. I agree that maybe without meaning to, you've trained him to expect all that stimulation. When mine are "settling" it's usually with a bone or puzzle type toy. The regular kongs are too easy for my dogs, even frozen. I have better luck with the Kong Stuff-a-ball and twist-n-treat, or a big meaty bone or cow hoof. I say "go get your bone" when I want them to go entertain themselves, or "go night night" when I want them to specifically go to their crates or bed. After a while of working on a bone or puzzle, they usually go to sleep. I would stop the hand feeding, it seems to me like that would be just another way of feeding his need for constant attention.

I think that perhaps you're not considering your most formidable ally: The Crate.

After a good play session, or outdoor run, crate your pup for a couple hours. This is good down time, and after the run they are more likely to initially settle. Once this seems to go over well, try randomly crating your pup 10-15 minutes at a time. After a nice play session is ideal, but be sure t mix it up, sometimes he may only be out for a little bit, some times hours before he goes in that crate for a little down-time. You can start using a command for this, "Kennel" or "Go Rest"... which will come to mean that you're about to be busy and good things come to those who wait--patiently. I think it goes without saying that all whining, yelping, begging should be ignored until it stops. Any time you cannot watch him: crate. When you do let him out, don't make a big deal out of it either. In fact, teaching a dog that they must sit or lay down before exiting is a good tactic, and something else you may be able to work on. Give him a good snack or trat in his kong during these crate periods.

This is an easier way to teach your puppy some patience and how to relax without having to be right on top of them. Its easier than teaching a pup to lie down for an extended period, too.

However, the crating I used initially. When my dogs turned a year and gained a bit more freedom, I taught them to lie down...and lie down until I said it was ok to get back up. I let them chew their rawhides, play low-key bitey-face, nice quiet things during this, but the rules are they must be by me and they must not be bouncing around. This comes about by insisting they lie down every time they get up, making them lie down right back where they got up from, until they finally cave in and are still for a good 10 minutes, then its "OK! good dog, lets go.." and we go have some fun. 10 minutes turned into 15, then 20...etc, you get my drift.

Good ideas! Thank you very much. :D

We already do make him hold a sit/stay before he can come out of his crate, and that has been very helpful. He will even hold it as a cat passes by. :rolleyes: His other obedience training is actually doing very well. The only problem we are having is some pulling on the leash when he REALLY REALLY wants something, and we are working on that and improving every day. I have just never had a dog inside the house before who's training is completely up to me so I didn't think to start this kind of training early on. Defidently my mistake.

And I don't remember who said that marriage would bring big changes, but I already live with my fiance, we actually got Ghost after we started living together. I can only assume you mean kids?? :D Which won't be happening for quite some time. LOL

Autumn

I would stop the hand feeding, it seems to me like that would be just another way of feeding his need for constant attention.

We are slowly going to be weaning him off of hand feeding, that is why we introduced the kongs. The only reason we started that was because he started to challenge us when we came near his food bowl, and he actually snapped at my hand once. :rolleyes:

Maybe I am working him too much... ahhh, I'm just afraid if he doesn't get enough excersise he'll be even worse than he is now! :D

Autumn

"And if I crate him there is no way I'd be able to read one sentence, as his shrieking and high pitched yelping is horendous."

That's the problem. The fastest way a BC learns down time is the crate. It's also the easiest. Of course, your dog needs to be crate trained. Start with that first. Really.

Oh, we DO have down time, at least, I TRY to, that is where the problem is.

Don't try. Have down time. Be firm. Don't take no for the answer. You are the smarter one and you're supposed to be the one in charge.

I know you say kids are way down the road, but consider this good practice for setting limits and training good manners with them. Ghost is beautiful. I'm sure he's a wonderful dog. But he is being a brat because he hasn't learned that life is NOT non-stop fun and games. Unless you want to live with a dog dictating to you for the next 10 years ('m figuring eventually he'll mellow out :rolleyes: ), you need to take control and train Ghost there are times when he needs to settle and leave you be. If he tantrums in his crate, leave the room, close the door and don't return until he has been quiet for at least 5 minutes straight. Be cheerful when you crate him. Give him a little treat. Be cheerful when you return to let him out. But do not respond to the tantrums and whatever you do, never reward him by letting him out for them.

Or not. He's your boy and its up to you what your life with him will be like. We all have different expectations and tolerances. Good luck.

The only reason we started that was because he started to challenge us when we came near his food bowl, and he actually snapped at my hand once.

I've stayed out of this one so far, but this statement really supports my take on what's going on here: this dog is running the household. Period. This dog has got you trained very well to make sure things run his way--constant play when he wants it, hand feeding; he's got you running yourself ragged to try to keep him stimulated. Geesh. And now it's to the point where he needs and expects that kind of non-stop stimulation. One of the key words I've seen in several of the posts is "I'm trying XYZ..." As someone else pointed out, don't try; just do. This is exactly why so many BCs end up in rescue or shelters. Somebody's got to be in charge, and BCs are opportunistic enough that if it's not the human in charge, they'll gladly take that position.

I totally disagree that they are non-stop energy dogs. Assuming that they need constant stimulation is only setting yourself up for problems. I have found that most beings live up to whatever expectations you have of them; for me, I expect my dogs, even very young pups, to behave in a civilized manner, both in and out of the house. I currently have 8 here, 5 of my own, and 3 in for training. Two days a week, I can leave my 5 (the dogs here for training aren't necessarily house-trained, and that's not my job) in the house while I go to work for over 10 hours, and they are all fine. Their ages range from 13 down to two who are under 2 years of age. Presumably they sleep most of the day. When I get home, they go out for a potty run, have dinner, then they come back in while I watch an hour or so of TV, then it's bed time. During TV time, my 6 year old might want to play tug for 5 minutes or so. The youngest two might play quietly together (someone called it quiet bitey-face, and that's a good description). That's it. Are these couch potato dogs? Hardly! These are high level working dogs who compete at the national level working cattle.

I think it's great that you are trying to do all you can for your dog, and by trying to make sure he has enough exercise, etc., you are trying to be a great dog owner. But it's backfiring on you. Use a crate. Set boundaries. Rather than cajoling and bribing with treats and being nicey-nicey, be in charge. As someone else pointed out, this is great preparation for having kids. Both kids and dogs don't need another friend, they need a "parent,"

A