BC Boards

Training

I have a six month old male borde collie, who is about a week new to our home. He seemed to do well with his crate at first, but now I have a hard time getting him in there. I always treat him when he goes in when he's told, but lately Ive had to pick him up and put him in myself. When I force him in, I do not treat. The question is, should I still be treating him? So that he knows when he's in there he gets one, or will he always put up a fight cuz he knows he will still get a treat?

Secondly, Ive started clicker training. He's doing well with sit and laydown. However, when we are outside or on a walk, Im trying to clicker train him so that everytime he looks at me with distractions, I click and treat. BUT.. when I click he sits right away. He's mixing up commands now. Am I moving too fast? Also, with the girlfriend in the house, its hard for him to focus on clicker training, as he just wants to follow me or her around, and/or heard us back together?

Suggestions please?! THANKS!

Shane (and Storm)

Crate:

I would make the crate a good place. I feed all meals in the crate. I throw treats in the crate so if they go in on their own there is something good. When in the crate I give them frozen stuffed kongs.

Training:

Don't rush things. I teach multiple commands at a time but I make sure my commands are precise. I also use hand commands along with voice commands so to help them distinguish. Hand commands are also useful when you are at a distance and need to give a command.

I have a six month old male borde collie, who is about a week new to our home. He seemed to do well with his crate at first, but now I have a hard time getting him in there. I always treat him when he goes in when he's told, but lately Ive had to pick him up and put him in myself. When I force him in, I do not treat. The question is, should I still be treating him? So that he knows when he's in there he gets one, or will he always put up a fight cuz he knows he will still get a treat?

Personally, I would treat every time. I would also set up several opportunities a day to have the dog go in the crate, treat, and immediately open the door and let him out. I would also feed in the crate with the door open. I would leave treats and toys in there with the door open so the dog could find them.

Secondly, Ive started clicker training. He's doing well with sit and laydown. However, when we are outside or on a walk, Im trying to clicker train him so that everytime he looks at me with distractions, I click and treat. BUT.. when I click he sits right away. He's mixing up commands now. Am I moving too fast? Also, with the girlfriend in the house, its hard for him to focus on clicker training, as he just wants to follow me or her around, and/or heard us back together?

It sounds like you might be moving too fast. If he's been with you a week and you're already using the clicker for walks outside - it might be that a few important steps might have gotten missed along the way!

However, if he sits at the moment that you click, that's fine. The click marked the behavior - which is look at you. If he sits as you deliver the treat (or stands if you marked a "sit"), that's fine.

Another thing about clicker is, you don't need to use it at all times - in fact that would be a logistical nightmare! Using praise or food or toys as rewards outside of clicker sessions won't confuse your dog.

I recommend setting up just 2 "clicker sessions" each day for 5 - 10 minutes where you work on behaviors in small increments.

Hope that helps!!