BC Boards

Dog boots - A good idea or a waste of money

I'm considering buying some dog boots for my BC Aden and would like to get some other opinions on the subject. I was mostly considering them for when she will be out in the snow for longer than several minutes. Does anyone think they are worth it or just a waste of time and money? Also, recommendations on brand and where to buy them would be helpful too :rolleyes:

My dog doesn't seem too bothered by snow. If the snow is fresh, he does get those snow balls between his pads that I have to pull out... but in snow that's at all "aged," he seems fine. However, I often see bloody paw prints in the snow at the park - so other people's dogs must be bothered. A friend recommended Musher's Secret paw wax... but Buddy just licked it off:

http://www.lucy-the-dog.com/musherssecret.html

Mary

I'm considering buying some dog boots for my BC Aden and would like to get some other opinions on the subject. I was mostly considering them for when she will be out in the snow for longer than several minutes. Does anyone think they are worth it or just a waste of time and money? Also, recommendations on brand and where to buy them would be helpful too :rolleyes:

www.dogbooties.com Good quality but cheap so no big deal if you lose them. I bought from this company when I ran sled dogs and was very happy with them. They use "Velstretch" for their velcro closures, which is stretchy, so they fit better without being too tight.

If you just want to stop ice balls from building up you can use petroleum jelly on the fur between the toes. I really only used booties when I thought the snow or ice was abrasive or sharp.

it only snows a few times each winter here and it melts usually within a day, Pearl has no qualms about walking or laying in the snow. neverless a few years back my mom got her felt booties for x-mas, i think you can tell from this photo how Pearl "felt" about them. A few minutes after this photo was taken she went out in the snow and shook her feet until they came off, next time i brought them out to put on her she went under the bed and would not come out. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/pea...op/ffe147c9.jpg

I don't think mine would keep them on- Bailey seems to be bothered by the snow. We have to stop about every 15 minutes of frisbee to look and remove snow from her pads- then she's fine. Guess she doesn't like that "glumpy" feeling- probably not a word. Usher doesn't care! Throw the frisbee- I noticed Bailey's pads were a little brownish, so I applied bag balm and wrapped them. They were fine for a week. Snow's gone, should be back. It's unusual. I thought I was done with snow pics- LOL.

www.dogbooties.com Good quality but cheap so no big deal if you lose them. I bought from this company when I ran sled dogs and was very happy with them. They use "Velstretch" for their velcro closures, which is stretchy, so they fit better without being too tight.

I second dogbooties.com. I use them because of all the salt on the roads around my house. My dogs don't like them and walk funny... until we're outside, going on a walk, then they seem to totally forget about them and seem in no way hindered in their movement. They stay on well and when they don't I've had good luck locating them. Even if I didn't, they're priced very reasonably.

I'm thinking a lil bag balm and some wrap and that might save me some major bucks-

BAG BALM= the instant cure- My ex rubbed it on my tummy when I was Peggy- worked, no stretch marks.

Usher actually ATE the neuosporin- :rolleyes: GROSS I'd go for bag balm and wraps. JMO

Guest SweetJordan
it only snows a few times each winter here and it melts usually within a day, Pearl has no qualms about walking or laying in the snow. neverless a few years back my mom got her felt booties for x-mas, i think you can tell from this photo how Pearl "felt" about them. A few minutes after this photo was taken she went out in the snow and shook her feet until they came off, next time i brought them out to put on her she went under the bed and would not come out. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/pea...op/ffe147c9.jpg

Hehe. I'm sure that is the look I would get from Riley if I tried that w/ her.

I live in Switzerland where we do get snow - tho not that much in my area. I don't use booties and never will unless my dogs would need it due to an accident. However I put on some special cream on my dogs paw on days where we do have snow but more so because of the salt on the streets. When we are back home I put on some lighter cream again depending on how the streets were.

I have seen a thread like this before, and if I would have had time, I would have tried to order some online from that suggested website...dogbooties.com?

I never thought I would have to use them, since I live in Calgary, we get a couple of days of -15 and then a week of +5 and on and on like that for most of the winter..chinooks are awesome especially when you've had a day or two of -20. Daisy isn't usually bothered by the snow and cold that much and we don't salt the streets here like a lot of City's do. But today I woke up to -32 (-48 with wind chill) and needless to say when human skin will freeze in 2 minutes, my dog wouldn't go to the bathroom! I had to go and buy some....I got some "mutluks" they are pretty fancy. fleece inside and the outside would be what your normal ski jacket is made out of and they have leather pads on the feet and a cuff that goes half way up the leg. She's not so keen on them indoors, but as soon as were outside she is really excited that her feet aren't freezing! They were, however pretty expensive...so try the website first, if not, get these they are pretty good and stay on so far!