BC Boards

Ears

This is probably a stupid question, but is there anyway to tell what a bc pups ears will do when they are grown (will they be prick ears or flop). Both of Cheza's parent's ears were down, but not totally floppy (not like a labs ears). They didn't have erect ears. Does that mean Cheza's will stay down for good as well?

They have changed a good bit since we brought her home. They have moved further forward and stand more then they did when she was younger. She also seems to be able to control the movement of them which is cool. When you say her name she pricks them up and moves them closer together.

6 weeks (at the breeder)

untitled2.jpg

9 weeks

PC1500011.jpg

and 12 1/2 weeks

P1170030.jpg

Someone stole my thunder with posting a thread of what I wanted to ask! I am a BIG fan of prick ears! However, I think my Foxy's ears are going to be drop ears =( Anyway here are some pics to show to see if anyone thinks they might go prick....

When I first got her at 12 weeks

100_1270.jpg

100_1307.jpg

A couple weeks after that

DSCN0077.jpg

And about a week ago about 17 weeks old

DSCN0118.jpg

DSCN0100.jpg

They may yet stand, though you do see the occasional dog with the really high tipped ears. I think her ears are cute just as they are. My Pip's ears didn't stand reliably till he was well over a year old, so there's really no predicting, only hoping.... (By the way, Foxy has tipped ears; dropped ears are the ones that look more like a hound's or lab's ears.)

J.

I'm glad I started this thread just so I could see all the ear pictures! I love how it's a surprise, and I don't know what I will get. It was the same with Salem since he is lab / gsd. We didn't know whether they would stand or not. His didn't. I don't really care what her ears do. I would be happy if they stay how the are now or point.

My breeder said that she has only ever had 3 puppies with prick ears born from Cheza's mother, and that was with a different father. She agreed that Cheza's do look like they want to stand.

These puppy ears are TOO cute. I really, really want (but definitely don't need!!) a puppy!!!! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was just wondering...does anyone know about the inheritance of prick, tipped, rose, or drop ears? I saw Salem's Mom post that Cheza's parents both had drop ears, but have had prick-eared pups, and I always had thought that prick ears were dominantly inherited--but then that wouldn't make sense according to Cheza's example. **Edited to add: oh, I just saw that the prick-eared pups were from a different sire.** Anyway, I tried to dig up some info on it, just out of curiosity, but didn't find anything definitive. If anyone happens to know, thanks in advance for the reply!!

Those are some cuuuute puppies! I agree it looks like Cheza's are on the way up, and maybe Foxy's, too.

I got Alex when he was about 3 months old, so I don't know what his ears looked like when he was tiny. At 3 months, though, they were just slightly tipping forward, and in the next month they went all the way up.

At 3 months:

1z2hcll.jpg

Now:

dqhv1i.jpg

This is what i am wondering about Zac's ears too. His are very strange. he is nearly 4months old now and they do look funny at times. They often go to a point in the middle of his head. It was mentioned in the gallery thread that they look like Julie's Pip's ears. I think that they might end up looking like that. I don't care what they do but at the moment they don't really seem to know themselves. :rolleyes:

IMG_0360.jpg

Samantha,

We call those "Pope's hat" ears! :rolleyes: I think ears that want to stand up tend to do that if they are placed farther apart on the head. If I compare Pip's ears (which are pricked) with Twist's (his mom) or Lark's, I note that his ears are set further apart on his head and so stand up straighter, whereas both Twist's and Lark's ears tend to stand up and point out. It may also simply be a function of the wideness of the head (there's a reason I call Pip "Big Head Fred"!). But Phoebe's ears also used to do the Pope's hat thing, and as she's matured she's ended up with ears that look more like The Flying Nun at rest and one of which stands up when she's working (the other flops out to the side), though she will stand both up when she's really interested in something. In other words, Phoebe has really odd ears....

Now let's see if I can find a picture of Lark's ears at a particularly funny stage.

From this:

P3310034.jpg

To this (at 4 months):

P5310003.jpg

And this (4 months):

P5310005.jpg

And these (no kidding, I did not flip the ear backward, that's just how it was for a while):

P5240023.jpg

P5240022.jpg

To this:

P7040026.jpg

And finally this:

IMG_0578.jpg

J.

Continued....

Pip looks like this now:

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

But used to have the Pope's hat look that you see in the photo collage in my sig line. You'll notice that in that sig photo Phoebe's ears appear to be pricked, but this is what she generally looks like now (at rest, both ears look like her left ear in this photo):

IMG_0665.jpg

Though they will stand up when she's working:

IMG_0602.jpg

Or not:

IMG_0653.jpg

Ya just never know with ears!

J.

Julie,

Thanks for posting those, I love the funny ear look. I have a bit of an ear thing with dogs anyway and with this breed in particular there is so much difference to the shape and styles of the ears. I really like your siggy as you have different ear variations on there with your guys.

This has to be my favourite though -

P5310005.jpg

It is nice to see what the ears do. I still think Zac is going to end up with strange looking ears. I do like the 'Pope's hat' name for them!! hehe

Not a great photo but you can just make out the way Zac's ears go to a point. Everday whilst out walking he has them like that. He must be concentrating on all the car sounds etc but they go to virtually one ear in the middle.

IMG_0459.jpg

Then they do stick up sometimes -

IMG_0456.jpg

Mostly they do this though, usually with one looking wonky as it goes in more than the other -

IMG_0447.jpg

Oh yeah and they keep turning inside out on their own, both of them together. :rolleyes:

Good idea for a thread this, i love looking at all the puppy ears and what they turn into. One thing i want to say though is they are all so cute!!!

Ears....my favorite. Pippin's ears were as in the avatar pretty early. Folks kept telling us they'd change, but they've stayed pretty much like that (though the one is sometimes pricked rather than flopped--depends on what she's doing....)

Here's Hamish's progression (we guessed he'd have tipped ears, but they are prick and also point backwards at the tip most of the time)

6 weeks

hamishbaby.jpg

10 weeks

hamface.jpg

12 weeks

fallpuppy.jpg

15 weeks

hamishwatching.JPG

17 weeks

hamdiploma.jpg

5.5 mos

hamishearstipped.jpg

Now

Hamish%20shoe.jpg

hamish%20working.jpg

Ears....my favorite. Pippin's ears were as in the avatar pretty early. Folks kept telling us they'd change, but they've stayed pretty much like that (though the one is sometimes pricked rather than flopped--depends on what she's doing....)

Here's Hamish's progression (we guessed he'd have tipped ears, but they are prick and also point backwards at the tip most of the time)

17 weeks

hamdiploma.jpg

5.5 mos

hamishearstipped.jpg

Now

Hamish%20shoe.jpg

hamish%20working.jpg

You gave me hope for Foxy's ears!!! They look almost exactly like that now at 17/18 weeks... so *crosses fingers* prick ears MIGHT happen :rolleyes:

Usually, if they are set Waaaaaaaaaay up on top, even if they are floppy, when they are pretty young- you've got a good chance at pricked ears. MY personal favorite. Usher has one, and the 2nd one just won't quite make it. Darn!

050451.jpg

I got to see Delta's parents, grandparents, and older sister at the farm when I picked her up and they all had ears they stayed down. I expected hers to be the same but they started to rise about 4 months; however, they never actually made it to prick ears. They stick up, but the tips flip over. I love them, they look so cute.

She is about 7mnths in this pic but they haven't really changed much.

1000589dy2.jpg

A few weeks ago (13mnths old)

dsc0502xn7.jpg

I haven't a clue what Jett's ears are going to do. They look different every day. They started out quite floppy but they keep migrating higher and higher. For a while she had one up and one down, but today she has airplane ears. Dad's ears are prick, Mom's are folded, so it's anybody's guess really.