BC Boards

breathing heavy & not eating

Hi all, this morning something terrible happened, we both had to get up early and forgot to give jeeves his breakfast. Anyway this evening we gave jeeves his supper and he he flatly refused. This is completely not like him as normally its gone within seconds and awaiting his evening chew. About an hour ago his breathing has become quite heavy itermitantly. and his usual activity level is at about a third. Should i be worried? He looks quite happy but i cant help feel somethings up. Maybe hes swallowed something like a piece of plastic and its got stuck (just a guess) what do you think should i rush him to the vet or am i over reacting? BTW hes pooed twicw today normally which ive checked and nothings in there altough sometimes there can be a piece of plastic and even tin foil ive seen before. i dont even know where he finds these things.

Thanks in advance......

Hi all, this morning something terrible happened, we both had to get up early and forgot to give jeeves his breakfast. Anyway this evening we gave jeeves his supper and he he flatly refused. This is completely not like him as normally its gone within seconds and awaiting his evening chew. About an hour ago his breathing has become quite heavy itermitantly. and his usual activity level is at about a third. Should i be worried? He looks quite happy but i cant help feel somethings up. Maybe hes swallowed something like a piece of plastic and its got stuck (just a guess) what do you think should i rush him to the vet or am i over reacting? BTW hes pooed twicw today normally which ive checked and nothings in there altough sometimes there can be a piece of plastic and even tin foil ive seen before. i dont even know where he finds these things.

Thanks in advance......

i'm just your average dog owner...but in these types of cases...i would say go with your gut...

you know your dog...

labored breathing is always something to be concerned about in my opinion...

When Piper skipped a meal, it turned out she had a belly full of dog toys and had blocked.

When Briggs skipped a meal the first time, he had Lepto. When he skipped a meal the next time, he had pancreatitis and he died.

I don't fool around with skipped meals. I take my dogs to the vet when they don't eat.

*disclaimer* some dogs skip meals. If that happens regularly in your house, maybe you don't need to worry. But if it doesn't happen regularly and you "feel" something is not right, you're better off heading to the vet than posting here.

RDM

Low activity, skipped meal (when it isn't normal in the dog), heavy breathing....I'd waste no time in going to the vet. You know your dog. If something seems out of the ordinary, I would head to the vet.

It seems with dogs that things can just deteriorate so quickly once we notice the symptoms. Things can often go from a cough in the morning to the ICU that afternoon.

If he didn't eat breakfast, there might be a good chance he got hungry during the day and decided to eat something he shouldn't have. I would probably take him to the vet, but its up to you. If you can get an appointment with your vet pretty soon I'd do that. Emergency vets can be so expensive. I'd say just watch him for now and try and get him to the vet soon. If he gets any worse you might want to go ahead and take him to the EVet.

:rolleyes: S*** now im worried o.k. first thing in the morning its to the vets, fingers crossed.

I'm sure you'll watch him closely. But if that heavy breathing continues/returns or if symptoms worsen, I'd get him to an emergency vet. Is there any way you can talk to your vet at least to see what he thinks? Some vets are fine about doing a brief phone consult and will come in after hours for emergencies.

I'm an infamous over-reacter, but if that was my dog, I'd want him looked at now, not tomorrow morning. Good luck and please let us know he's doing.

I agree with the others, anything to do with breathing and skipped meals i would want to at least speak with my vet. I don't know if your vets work the same as mine. They have a 24hr emergency number which i believe is answered by a vet nurse and they can advise you whether you need a call out etc. JMO but a lot can change by the morning. Not trying to freak you out but it is always better to be over careful.

Hes stopped breathing heavy and i found the emergency no. for the vet however theres no answer. :rolleyes: Im going to stay up late to keep an eye. with his breathng returned to normal or at least for now my worries have lightened. hes had small treat one of those pedigree maribone thingys and hes now sleeping normally. im going to try the vet again in a minute ill let you know if they answer. oh yeah and hes seven months old.

After a restless night jeeves seems almost back to normal hes had breakfast and the heavy breathing seems to have calmed down. The vet said it was probably some lodged food and to watch him for the day incase symptoms worsen. Hes certainly livened up this morning.