BC Boards

Patrick Shannahan Clinic

February 9th and 10th ... for young dogs ...

Patrick Shannahan Clinic

I'm taking Skar ... She's about 15 months old ... she's working well ... she downs, she flanks, and we're working on her call off. I've lived in Boise now for almost 4 years, and have never taken a lesson or gone to a clinic with Patrick.

I know some clinicians have their "thing" ... for instance ... if your dog doesn't have a solid "down" ... you will spend your entire weekend downing your dog. With other clinicians, if you're looking to get some inside flanks on your dog, you'll spend the whole weekend making your dog comfortable coming between you and the sheep. For those of you who have worked with Patrick with young dogs, what is his "thing"? Skar is 15 months old, is downing quite nicely on balance, comes to balance naturally, is nice on her come bye side, and is a bit tight on her away. I have several weeks to work with her, and I would like to have a productive weekend. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jodi

At 15 months? I think she is doing well!

February 9th and 10th ... for young dogs ...

Patrick Shannahan Clinic

I'm taking Skar ... She's about 15 months old ... she's working well ... she downs, she flanks, and we're working on her call off. I've lived in Boise now for almost 4 years, and have never taken a lesson or gone to a clinic with Patrick.

I know some clinicians have their "thing" ... for instance ... if your dog doesn't have a solid "down" ... you will spend your entire weekend downing your dog. With other clinicians, if you're looking to get some inside flanks on your dog, you'll spend the whole weekend making your dog comfortable coming between you and the sheep. For those of you who have worked with Patrick with young dogs, what is his "thing"? Skar is 15 months old, is downing quite nicely on balance, comes to balance naturally, is nice on her come bye side, and is a bit tight on her away. I have several weeks to work with her, and I would like to have a productive weekend. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jodi

I've taken a nursery dog to a Patrick clinic where most of the other dogs were just starting. I'd say he is one of the best to read your dog AND you. I don't think he is set on a certain regiment.

Show him how you work at home and listen and ask questions and listen.

Good luck

Bill

per...

Thanks.

Jodi

I've taken a few private lesson's with my older dogs. At HIS place, just you and him alone- he used his large pasture with me. He didn't have fences and used his other dogs to help if I messed up. Now that I have a less experienced dog, I don't know if he would go to the round pen or not. He's very fair- seems to know what you need to work on. I know his schedule is very busy, but since you live so close, it would probably be much more worth your while to spend the money on private lessons- You'd get more for your money than you would with a clinic. A clinic is kind of a rush-rush thing and nothing can beat a private lesson with Patrick!!!!

I like clinics for what you learn from watching other dogs. I had a friend who was an Open handler (had been in the Finals final round multiple times) and audited a Patrick Shannahan clinic, and said he learned a lot (and indeed I noticed a few changes to his approach afterwards). I learn tons from watching just about any Open handler work multiple dogs.

A private lesson is like counseling for you and your dog. Group lessons and clinics are like going to Sunday School, or Scout camp.

You'd get more for your money than you would with a clinic. A clinic is kind of a rush-rush thing ...

Bo Peep, I don't know what kind of clinics you've been to (no need to tell me, either), but I've been to several, and never have I felt a rush-rush thing while hanging out all weekend watching tons of different dogs work, including my own. Thanks for your advice. I think I'll stick with the clinic.

Bill, thank you for the input. I'm glad there isn't one thing that will hang me up all weekend. I worked her again today, and I think I am going to need a few ideas on how to get this particular dog to bend when she is starting her flanks. I laid a ton of pressure on her, and still couldn't get her to bend. Those first three steps of her "flanks" are straight at the sheep with her eye locked in nice and tight. Woo wee! This one is gonna be fun!

Becca, I'm like you ... I love watching the other dogs, and taking notes and such. In fact, I should dig through my stuff and find my notes from the Alasdair clinics and Scott clinics from when I was just starting to train my first dog. I'm sure it will make for an interesting read, if not a good laugh.

Jodi

Jodi

Not from nothin', but when you posted about the first three steps being toward the sheep. I figured out that when my dog would do that, there were reasons- no, none of em acceptable :rolleyes: , but I did figure out why sometimes she would do that and other times she would just set up just right, and start off at the right angle. This would be great for Patrick to see on your dog, and he may be able to figure it out very quickly. It may be you :D . I hope we all get a report after this clinic!

I went to a lesson by a well known guy from across the pond who now lives here last year. To say I was a bit nervous, was an understatement. To my somewhat surprise, I found that my dog not only was not doing the bad stuff, but was so much more mentally balanced when working the sheep, I honestly could not believe it. In that short of a period of time, I had a new dog. WOW.

That's what is so good about going to good clinicians who know their stuff, if nothing else, your DOG gets so much out of it, it's worth it!!!!!!!!