BC Boards

Update on Willow

Some of you know that over the past couple of months I have been dealing with a tumor on the inside of Willow's hind leg (in her groin region). We started out with a holistic treatment (bloodroot) which seemed to have removed the external part of the tumor, but when she had her recheck, the vet felt that we should go ahead and remove what could still be felt under the skin. So on Januray 3rd Willow had surgery. At the time, the vet was more concerned about a heart murmur Willow has (never before diagnosed, so probably something new), so they used strictly inhalation anesthesia and all went well. (She said she had considered just using a local, but when she got in there and saw the number of blood vessels, she's glad she didn't). All of Willow's bloodwork was pretty normal, thank goodness.

Today I received the pathology report. There is nothing indicative of a mammary tumor (my vet was concerned because of the proximity of the tumor to one of her nipples), but there were cells that were considered cancerous. The good news is that the tissue that was removed had good, clean margins, so it's very likely that the vet got it all during surgery. The tumor is considered pretty low grade and her prognosis is good, but I will have to watch for recurrence, since that is a characteristic of this type of tumor (apparently it can send out little "fingers"). Unfortunately I neglected to ask exactly what *type* of tumor we're talking about (duh!), but since Willow has to go in Thursday for a follow-up and to have sutures removed, I will ask then.

Anyway, I just wanted to update folks, since some of you were asking at the clinic this past weekend.

J.

I am glad she is safe for now. Our best wishes for the future - she is in good hands, I know!

Hi Julie,

So glad to hear this good news. I just wanted to mention that my old Floss also was diagnosed with a type of cancer that I was told was very prone to recur at the site. It was in a tight area at a joint, so that was of particular concern to me, but she lived for many years after its removal and it never did recur. Please post when you learn what type of cancer Willow's was.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the well wishes on Willow. I ended up taking her in yesterday to have the stitches removed and read the histopathology report for myself. Willow's tumor was a Grade II mast cell tumor. Apparently the pathologist recorded no mitoses in the viewing field at 10X magnification. What this means for a prognosis is this: If there are fewer than 5 mitoses present at 10x magnification, then the life expectancy is 70 months (i.e., nearly 6 years). For a dog Willow's age (nearly 11) this pretty much means that she's likely to die of old age before this cancer could get her. Obviously that prognosis could change if other tumors arise, but given that the tumor removed had good, clean margins (meaning that they likely got all of it during surgery), I'm hoping we won't have any recurrences.

She is back on antibiotics because the incision site appears to be a bit infected (probably from when the little dear took off and jumped in the creek), but the vet who examined her yesterday didn't seem overly concerned. And the other piece of good news is that her weight is back up to her normal 37-38 pounds from a low of 32 right before the surgery.

She's my heart, and the dog who got me started with all this (and she's a rescue):

IMG_0281.jpg

J.