BC Boards

Slightly indulgent Ness update

We've had Ness (was "Nanna, senior dog in Ohio") now for two months (we were supposed to temporarily foster her, but then, alas, we couldn't send her away again--the only foster dog we've ever kept.... :rolleyes:)

She remains the easiest dog we've added to the house and she really seems to live that rescue adage that dogs know when they've come home. Not to be too anthropomorphic about it all, but she really does seem more appreciative of her cushy beds, soft toys and regular meals than the rest of our pampered, suburban-raised pack.

She's gained almost 10 lbs and is starting to look less like a skeleton. Her coat is softening up and getting blacker. She's no longer anemic, appears to be parasite-free, and shows no clinical evidence of tick-borne disease--yay. The vet thought that she'd been fairly severely malnourished for some time--so either she was really neglected or had been stray for a while or both. She's lost significant muscle mass on all four legs. She still needs to be spayed and her teeth need a lot of attention--the bottom teeth are basically worn down to the gum-line and some of the incisors show pulp. Her hygroma has disappeared and the umbilical hernia is just cosmetic. More yay.

She may have been treated pretty harshly as she is often hand-shy and will flatten on the ground if she's approached too quickly or when she hears unknown noises. She doesn't seem to have ever been taught any conventional commands, but she's been perfectly clean in the house except for when she was ill. She walks beautifully on leash. Despite whatever rotten people are in her history, she's completely trusting of everyone she meets.

She is the doggie-leader of the pack, having put each of the others to the ground at least once. This is a girl who takes no crap from other dogs at all, but loves puppies.

We took her with us when we went to work sheep this week-end and she was in heaven--her ears stayed perked the whole time and she was absolutely certain that Rafe needed her help with whatever it was he was up to with that group of cloven-hoofed creatures. For the first time, she didn't try and high-tail it back to the car.

She absolutely loves toys and keeps a bevvy of them around her at all times. Her poor teeth mean that she's not very good at actually destroying them, but she gives it the college try. She will sometimes move a group of toys into her crate and shuttle back and forth between that group and another group she's left in the living room.

She has the sweetest tail wag of any dog I've ever known and I feel really privileged that ours gets to be her last stop.

Not a great picture of her (surprise, she's camera-shy), but it's the only one we've gotten with her ears up.

nessface.jpg

And here is her more typical look

nesssnow.jpg

Anyway, thanks for indulging me in this long post about Ness. Lots of folks here were rooting for her and so I wanted to let you know how she's doing.

I agree it seems the older rescues seem to aprrecciate???? it more. My opinion :D

I bet Ness nevers demands. She probably waits kind of to the side till noticed, that's Lady's way. Never up front but ready for what we give them. :rolleyes:

I'm glad ya'll found each other :D

I agree it seems the older rescues seem to aprrecciate???? it more. My opinion :D

I bet Ness nevers demands. She probably waits kind of to the side till noticed, that's Lady's way. Never up front but ready for what we give them. :rolleyes:

Yes, she's mostly like that until just two minutes ago when she was standing in the middle of our bed with a squeaky toy barking--she just wanted to announce..I don't know, something--joy, pride, that she's in the world--she's back there just yucking it up . Almost makes my heart break....

ETA: MI Ness says heya back to Aussie Ness