BC Boards

ABCA Litter Registration

I was under the impression that the breeder had to register the entire litter after all the pups were sold, providing the new owners' information, along with the pups' names, in order for the ABCA to release the individual papers for all the pups.

Registration Policy

REGISTRATION POLICY CHANGED

On November 16, 2004, the Board of Directors voted to change the existing policy of the Association for accepting registration applications. All applications for registration of dogs born in North America on or after January 1, 2005 must be submitted by the breeder of the litter. Applications for entire litters, partial litters, or individual dogs must be submitted to the association by the breeder.

However, someone asked Patty and she responded that that's how a lot of breeders are doing it, but it's not the policy the ABCA has set. I know Patty is probably very busy, and I didn't want to bother her by asking her to clarify this for me, especially considering the litter in question was not bred by me. How do you go about registering your litters? What are the different methods of doing so? Is there still a way to register the whole litter, and get back the papers that say "Pup 1," "Pup 2," etc.? I thought they cut that out ...

Thanks.

Jodi

IF I remember correctly, when I got Bute, I got his papers with his "litter name" or pup number, and then submitted the papers with the change of ownership information, including the name I gave him.

The policy you quoted says that all, part, or individuals of a litter may be registered at one time. I don't breed and so haven't read the rules. Interesting, but making sense since not all pups sell at the same time and some might sell to pet homes without papers, while others are registered.

When I registered Twist's litter, I registered all the pups, but I waited until all the pups' owners had named their puppies and then registered them in the owner's name with the name they had chosen for the dog. But I did all the paperwork and paid for the registrations. I think the point of requiring the breeder to register the pups from a litter is to prevent owners from registering pups fraudulently (knowingly or unknowingly), but I could be wrong.

J.

The rule change was directed at the practice by some breeders of pushing registration of pups onto their puppy buyers, giving the buyer a signed registration application for the pup they bought and leaving it up to that person to send it in. This practice lent itself to misuse in a variety of ways. Under the new rule, all pups must be registered by their breeder, whether the breeder does it one at time, or several at a time, or the whole litter at a time. I think the best practice, and the practice most good breeders follow, is to wait until all the pups in a litter are named and then register them all in the name of their individual owners via a single registration application, as Julie describes, but that is not required. The only requirement is that the breeder must be the one who submits the application.

When I registered Twist's litter, I registered all the pups, but I waited until all the pups' owners had named their puppies and then registered them in the owner's name with the name they had chosen for the dog. But I did all the paperwork and paid for the registrations. I think the point of requiring the breeder to register the pups from a litter is to prevent owners from registering pups fraudulently (knowingly or unknowingly), but I could be wrong.

J.

On reading what the ABCA says, this, too, is my interpretation and how I do things,

A

This is why I like the Boards...questions like this are intellegently answered and explained by folks who've been there, done that.

I have to register my first litter ever, I had that same question, and it makes sense to wait and get all of them placed, then send it in with names and addresses completed. The people at ABCA are wonderful, and have been helpful to me when I needed clarification, but nothing beats the Boards.

I have to register my first litter ever, I had that same question, and it makes sense to wait and get all of them placed, then send it in with names and addresses completed.

One advantage to registering the whole litter yourself (as the breeder/first owner) is the option of registering certain (or all) pups as "non-breeders" - there's a simple form on the ABCA website to do this. Then, any pups going to non-working homes (or pups without testicles or w/other defects) will not be bred unless the breeder/first owner specifically decides to change the papers to "full registration", ie, when and if the pup demonstrates adequate stock work or the testicles drop. ABCA will send you the papers to distribute to puppy buyers, and each person can send in the ownership transfer and name (or rename) the pup themselves. (But you control whether or not the pup will be able to produce registrable offspring down the line.)

Of course, if all pups are going to working homes where you know and trust the buyer, you could register the litter as mentioned above...wait until all the pups are spoken for, then send it in with new owner's info and names already in place.

Laurie