BC Boards

Agility World Championship 2008 in Helsinki / Finland

Hi,

Is there anyone in this forum who will come as participant or as fan to the Agility World Championship 2008 in Helsinki?

My husband and I, we will be teamleader for Luxemburg. Already 2007 in Hamar we where teamleader and it was a pleasure to trade whith the american fans.

Here is the link http://voittaja.kennelliitto.fi/EN/agilitywc2008/

Hi,

Is there anyone in this forum who will come as participant or as fan to the Agility World Championship 2008 in Helsinki?

My husband and I, we will be teamleader for Luxemburg. Already 2007 in Hamar we where teamleader and it was a pleasure to trade whith the american fans.

Well -they haven't chosen the American team yet, but my friend Carrie Jones was on Team USA the last couple of years, and I'm hoping she and Jive make it this year, too! I'd love to come as a spectator, but the cost is a little prohibitive, so I'll just cheer the USA on through cyberspace. Thanks for the link!

Laurie

Well -they haven't chosen the American team yet, but my friend Carrie Jones was on Team USA the last couple of years, and I'm hoping she and Jive make it this year, too! I'd love to come as a spectator, but the cost is a little prohibitive, so I'll just cheer the USA on through cyberspace. Thanks for the link!

Laurie

I gave her a pin of Luxemburg and she gave me one of the USA Team 2007 Hamar. Say her hello from the lux. teamleader Nancy Schiltz if you want, that would be nice.

each teamleader has to make a gift for an other country and our gift went to the USA

mg6396mediumme9.jpg

on the picture is my husband and the teamleader of the USA, in the background is the FCI délégué of Luxemburg and the one of the USA I suppose.

We got a gift from Sweden.

How do people on here feel about the fact that only dogs recognised by national breed clubs like the AKC can compete in the FCI event?

Over here we have many top class WSDs (unpapered BCs) that will never get a chance.

Because of our KC's decision to participate a few years ago, many handlers are now buying sport bred BCs (many bred with colour at least partly in mind) instead of simply looking for any dog that can do the job.

Of course we have the peculiar arrangement here where an ISDS registered dog will be registered by the breed KC as a BC, if asked to do so, but that is of no help to those owners of unregistered working bred dogs, of which there are many.

It is often the case that farmers and shepherds simply do not bother to register their working dogs unless there is a good reason. It costs money, after all.

I'm assuming that the US BCs that are on the team will be sport bred, which doesn't seem to be approved of on this board as far as the future of the breed is concerned.

Pam

How do people on here feel about the fact that only dogs recognised by national breed clubs like the AKC can compete in the FCI event?

I'm assuming that the US BCs that are on the team will be sport bred, which doesn't seem to be approved of on this board as far as the future of the breed is concerned.

Pam

It is FCI's rule, and not much anybody can do about it unfortunately. Dogs that want to qualify for the team have to be AKC registered with a four generation approved pedigree, but that doesn't necessarily mean sport bred - AKC approves pedigrees from ABCA, ISDS, AIBC, NASD. And you are right, this board membership does look unfavorably on any relationship with AKC.

There is another organization that holds a world championship that is open to non-kennel club dogs - our USDAA sends a team, and it can even have mixed breeds on it. I'm not sure of the regulations, since I haven't aspired to doing that either, but I would bet that an unregistered agility sheepdog would certainly qualify, if the UK participates.

Laurie

AKC approves pedigrees from ABCA, ISDS, AIBC, NASD. And you are right, this board membership does look unfavorably on any relationship with AKC.

There is another organization that holds a world championship that is open to non-kennel club dogs - our USDAA sends a team, and it can even have mixed breeds on it. I'm not sure of the regulations, since I haven't aspired to doing that either, but I would bet that an unregistered agility sheepdog would certainly qualify, if the UK participates.

Laurie

So a similar registration arrangement to the one we have.

In dog activities here we're lucky that our KC does not discriminate in home competitions and any dog, purebred or not, can compete to the highest level (except in Field Trials).

However, up to now they have only supported a team for the FCI Championships.

This year, though, they have bowed to pressure and are supporting a team going to the European Open (claiming that Helsinki is too expensive).

We'll see what happens in future years.

We have a much smaller agility organisation here (UKA) which sends a team to the IFCS championships.

There is a significant part of our agility community that strongly believes that our KC that claims to exist for the benefit of all dogs should not have any involvement in a competition that is discriminatory.

I guess it may be a little different over there as I get the impression that the AKC has no pretensions to being anything but a breed club and, as such, can't be accused of hypocrisy.

Pam

Already in 2007 where an USA team on the European Open in Italy. It's so nice to see agility friends from countries which are so far away on competitions. I saw my friend Elicia Calhoun back :rolleyes:

img5134mediumac4.jpg

the luxemburgish team

img5137mediumkj6.jpg

img5144mediumij5.jpg

img51461di4.jpg

Elicia and I

img5122mediumod0.jpg

I also met Naish's brother Nessie who is living with Ezio Bertuletti in Italy