Jump to content
BC Boards

Rat poisoning


Recommended Posts

I just recently had a mouse infestation. I put bait up high in the garage ... and they fell for it. I put bait underneath my sink, and put a bungee chord around the handles to the cabinet door to remind me that the bait is in there so that I NEVER forget to bungee it shut to keep the dogs out ... and I put traps all over. At one point, I had 4 traps on my kitchen counter for like a week, and in the mornings, I would have to empty them all. Yuck! Happy to report, I haven't seen a mouse in over a month now.

 

I'm glad Fynne is ok ... Keep us posted.

 

Jodi

Link to post
Share on other sites

I, too have had mouse problems and used Rat poison. I purchased the big chunk kind. Put them way back where the dogs couldn't reach them and "TA DA" Dead mice. No dead dogs. I Like the BAR kinds. You can keep track of them. I had a friend with a pup they left outside. They had a mobile home and lattice underneath. The poison was such a "sweet smelling" thing it drew the pup to chew the lattice off of home and the pup died. You are so lucky. I think you're over the hump!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Aussiered,

Well the emergency vet told us that it is 'definitely rat poison and yes Fynne was sent home with K tablets.

She continues to do well and so far there doesn't seem to be any further problems.

 

Mr_Tiki, just to clear things up, I wasn't trying to say that Fynne doesn't have rat poisoning (I don't doubt that for a second). I was more trying give reason as to why the day time vet may not have identified her symptoms as rat bait. Sorry.

 

I was surprised that the day time clinic where she checked in the day before didn't identify the problem. We lost valuable time then. May be she didn't show visible signs.
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish Fynne a speedy recovery.

 

I had a scare this past summer with Buster. My husband had put rat poison inside the little shed with the well pump at our trailer in the mountains. Well, the mice moved all of it indoors, it was in all of the drawers and cupboards. I thought I had found all of the pieces when I let Buster in. I saw him with something in his mouth and when I yelled he spit it out. I called the number on the bag and spent a week worrying that he had found more than the one piece. Now no more mouse/rat poison will be used - ever.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bo Peep, that's the kind my dad had in the garage, big sticks instead of the little pellets (Contact?). He thought he had them all put up but his garage is quite large and has a ton of junk in it. The vet said rodents can move the bait around, so it does no good to put them up where pets can't reach them. I don't know if that's what happened, or if he missed one or more. Either way, we are going to use safer methods to keep the mice under control.

 

Fynne is doing wonderfully and I think I can stop worrying now. She'll continue to get vitamin K for the next few weeks though. I'm seriously thinking of poison proofing the dogs, or at least Boy since he's going everywhere with me now. There's lots of dangerous stuff people have around here in rural Michigan like antifreeze and rat poison and rotten food thrown in the woods and who knows what. Boy loves food so much that it's a four letter word around here (don't say the "F" word!) and I'd be devestated if something happened to him. My old Mickey wouldn't eat anything unless it was in her bowl. I just raised her by saying "no" and that's all it took. She wouldn't even take food from a friend unless I gave the ok. Boy isn't like that though and I can't afford to lose him. He's not just my pet anymore so I'm seriously thinking about teaching him not to eat anything he's not supposed to. I know of one way, not my fave, but effective. If anyone has any alternative techniques then please share. Thank you for your prayers for Fynne. She's just fine!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
Fynne came to mind today and I just wondered how she was doing?

 

She is doing great, thanks for asking. I hope Michelle would post some pics soon.

Boyden and the cats are also fine. There is just one problem with one of the cats (Punkin). He is about 6 yr old and has always been potty trained, but he seems to be loosing his toilet etiquette of late and we can't understand why this is happening now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

mr. Tiki,

I'd monitor while he pees to see if he strains also check his bladder to see if it's tight. If he does, take him to the vet. I lose a cat recently on urinary tract infection. He started peeing outside the litter box and strained. With early detection and treatment, they usually get better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...