BC Boards

Can someone tell me

MrSnappy

1. One day at a time.

2. If what you want to do is stay home with RD, I urge you to do that and not worry about the cost. I will be eternally grateful to the person who gave me this wise advice when my last dog was slowly declining. Conversely, I will eternally regret an earlier decision not to do that with an earlier faithful companion.

3. It won't last forever; nothing does. Odds are that what you're going through won't last all that long at all in the grand scheme of things, regardless of the outcome.

Alaska, very well said. I think your points #1-3 summed up everything meaningful in my tremendously long post. I agree with your sentiments completely.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming in very late - just got back from the mainland where I had no internet access.

Nothing practical to add, I'm afraid, except to say just hang in there. Just wanted to say you and Red Dog have very best wishes coming to you from hot and windy Hobart. Whatever decisions you make will be in RD's best interests as you can see them at the time, and therefore, while they might hurt like h***, can't be wrong.

I've been keeping up w/ the updates you are giving out on RD and it just breaks my heart into that he (and you) are going through this very hard time. The only advice I can give is just *Take a breath* and know that you are doing everything possible for him to pull through this. I truly hope that he makes a speedy recovery and things can get back to some sense of normalcy for all of you. You know that we are all pulling for the old guy but you also have to try and take care of yourself or you will be no good for him. :rolleyes:

As far as what you can do for his sore...I was thinking maybe getting some corn/bunion pads if they make them big enough to surround his sore (you know those round things w/ the holes) and layer it until you can get the right amount of height to keep his sore from touching the floor and taping it so he doesn't try to remove it. At least if you can't keep him from favoring that particular side, you can try and keep his sore from becoming more irritatated from coming into contact w/ anything he lays on and still allow for air ventilation. If it works it may also allow for a tiny bit more freedom on your part to do things that need doing. Not a very conventional suggestion but I have been known to "improvise" like this when the need arises.

aw hun :D

i cant offer any advice i'm afraid, and sadly i am too poor to be able to offer to help with the cost.

BUT i CAN give you the email of the lady (classical homeopath) who saved my tikki's life. she works via email and/or telephone, is very reasonable (i think it was about £75 to have tikki's case worked up including the immediate 1st aid advice, and the 1st remedy he needed), she was willing to let me pay in installments, and will be there via email anytime you need advice.

she will tell you which remedy is needed and exactly how to give it.

if for any reason she cannot take on new cases, she will be able to recommend someone who will be able to :rolleyes:

classical homeopathy can work miracles hun, it certainly has for tikki!

if you want her addy pm me and i will send it asap!

I have been following this thread with a lump in my throat. I am sending loving, warm thoughts out to you and RD. Its horrible trying to find clarity in emotional issues isn't it? I never know if I can trust my decisions, but in the end it always works out for the best.

Sara

Not to get all SAT on you, but:

Red Dog is to Sheena

as

Solo is to Melanie

My way of saying that I can imagine all too well what you are going through, and that I feel for you, and am thinking of you.

There are too many similarities between us for me to not be putting myself directly in your shoes right now and I know it is a very difficult place to be.

I am not much of a blog commenter, but I do keep up with yours regularly and will stay tuned for updates. Only good news I hope.

Take care, Melanie

Sheena,

I just wanted to let you know that I've been following RDM's illness on your blog and here. You have my deepest sympathy for the ordeal you and he are going through. I know that you'll make the best decisions possible for him and your love will give him strength (and vice versa). I'm sending all the positive energy and good mojo I can muster your way.

Clara

Thanks for all comments, ideas, sentiments etc. We are heading back to the vet - RD's pressure sore is worse and I can clearly see the bone of his elbow.

It'd be really nice if I could stay home "as long as I felt I had to" and all those things, and I think those of you with that option should feel lucky you have it. I don't have it. I'm broke and someone needs to pay the rent and the bills. So we'll do what gotta do, but life has to just march on you know?

Thanks again

RDM

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and Red Dog. I've been reading your blog getting all the info I can from that but just wanted you to know that I'm praying for you and for Red Dog.

I know it's not easy and it is very frustrating but doing what you are doing is what you feel is what is right for you and you have to go with that. Everything else will work itself out in the long run.

One step and one day at a time is all you can do for both of you. You are fortunate to have friends helping with the other pooches - Red Dog relies on your undivided attention right now which you have given all his life without question.

Hang in there, try to get some rest (eat!) and love on Red Dog all you can while you can.

I'm just getting caught up here, and understanding how you're feeling...just a year ago, we lost a battle with kidney disease in our 3yr old bc mix, Maggie. The care of her was exhausting, affected my job, costly, and difficult on many fronts...and there was always the question: how long can I, should I, keep this up? The answer came from Maggie, and I'd suggest that you can look to Red Dog for guidance here...he will let you know. Heart to heart, dog to person, he'll tell you. Until then, do your best with the time, the resources, you have. It's all you can do, and its more than he'd ask of you, and it's alright...

We fought a year and a half for Maggie, and could have fought longer, but she was in pain, and she let us know...she released us. I'm very thankful I waited until then, despite the debt and time. Red Dog is a good boy...he'll help you through whatever lies ahead. Peace be with you...

RDM, I am sorry to read that the pressure sore is getting worse. Sometimes, for whatever reason, we just don't have a choice in the decisions that we have to make, but you are 100% right, you do what you have to do because life does march on, no matter how much you wish it wouldn't.

We will all continue to hold you in our thoughts.

Michelle

Please give the old boy a hug and kiss from me. It's hard for me to look at his pictures on your blog because he has the same dignified, noble expression that my old boy Pete did and it's like a knife in the heart. You know you've got a lot of people with you and RD in thought and spirit.

Just read your blog RDM. So very sorry. Was going to comment on there but i have never done any posts on blogs before.

After reading your last post, i knew what you were saying. The silence then after that said it all.

Your special boy will be remembered by us all.

eta - i too hope it helps you in some way to know that RD was so special to so many people. So many messages already on your blog. We are all thinking of you at this awfully sad time.

RIP sweet red Dog.

WHAT??? OH no. I am afraid to go look at the blog. Damn the "view new posts" function on this Board. DAMN IT. I am sorry that everything I tried to do was not enough to help...GAH.

Know that you're in our thoughts - even though you don't know us. I feel like we know you and RD so well. Thank you for sharing his life - and his struggles - with the virtual world out here. He knew you loved him and did all you could. My departed Cisco had a soft spot for red dogs (go figure - he wasn't a border collie), and I'm sure they're playing hard across that bridge. May it not be too long before you can remember all the good times you had with him.

Diane & the Moab Mutts