BC Boards

Anybody know anything about RINGWORM

They gave me Advantage Multi (imidacloprid+moxidectin) topical every 2 weeks to start with. If that doesn't work he recommended that I see a dermatologist. He mentioned ivermectin but didn't really want to use that unless it was last resort because of the problems collies have with it. He also mentioned the dip Amitraz...but he didn't think anyone used that anymore. I will definitely be going back at the end of the Advantage Multi period to have another scrape done.

MyTDogs, I am curious why the derm vets you know don't like to use lufenuron as a treatment. The protocol is well known, accepted as very safe and was taught to me by several derms. I've used it before and have been very happy with how well it worked.

MyTDogs, I am curious why the derm vets you know don't like to use lufenuron as a treatment. The protocol is well known, accepted as very safe and was taught to me by several derms. I've used it before and have been very happy with how well it worked.

I will check tomorrow Liz (I am the head tech/office manager there) to get specific references. I think it has something to do with a study showing that it didn't work. They are sticklers for actual studies & rarely believe anecdotal evidence, absent legit studies.

When my 7 year old was your pups age he got demodex around his eye, though not as bad as yours is. I mixed a few drops of neem oil with some almond oil and applied it about 3 times a day. It cleared and never came back. This might help you.

Localized demodex (found in just one spot) is not uncommon in growing pups. It usually clears all on its own with out any treatment. So while your neem/almond oil may have helped it go away, it is more likely it would've cleared on its own without any intervention.

Generalized demodex (spots on multiple sites- this pup has a spot on his leg too I believe) is not as likely to clear on its own and get very bad. So in a pup like this treatment would be advised.

Cindy

Does Demodex drive them crazy with itching?

Not necessarily. Sometimes the worst is when we start treatment on a really bad case & as the mites die the dogs get really itchy. Presumably because the drug attacks the nervous system of the mite and they get more active before they die.

In general it just depends on the individual dog's tolerance for that sort of thing.

Thank you ShesMaggie. I hope he recovers fast too....he looks so funny right now.

Dexter has had absolutely no itching that I have seen....he is as active as ever and sleeps very well.

Cindy... I am thinking it is not recommended to get him neutered until this passes correct?

Cindy... I am thinking it is not recommended to get him neutered until this passes correct?

I don't know all of your circumstances but I will say that I tend to wait as long as I can to alter. Some studies have suggested that the hormonal release during puberty has an important effect on the formation of joints. Waiting until growth plates are closed, especially for those who plan on athletic activities with their dogs, seems to be more & more common.

Depending on the severity of Dexter's demodex, he may be more susceptible to relapses during times of "stress". Anesthetic procedures are stressful & so sometimes we see a relapse.

HTH,

Okay Liz,

I spoke to one of the derms today & she said that the original case study showing that lufenuron was effective (circa 2000) was poorly designed, no controls, etc... in 2004, 2 of her colleagues - Doug DeBoer & Karen Moriello did a carefully designed study (actually funded by Novartis) that showed that Program was not effective for preventing or curing dermatophytosis.

here is the abstract

Here is a link to a paragraph about Lufenuron for Dermatophytosis. It is written by Dr. Moriello.

HTH,

• 4 weeks later...

Update on Dexter after 3 treatments of advantage.. Just gave the third one... The hair in the spots affected is growing back. Yay! Woot!

That is great news :D

If he has concurrent skin infections (common with demodex) it will help to have him on antibiotics & frequent baths with benzoyl peroxide shampoo.

Please post pix when you can.