BC Boards

Rocky at Robin's

Robin mentioned a technique she'd been using with her Moss. Coincidentally, I showed up with Rocky the very next week, who had a very similar issue (or issues). Rocky was bit worse, actually, since he had about given up on covering the sheep at all.

Here's Robin working with Rocky, calling him in closer and using voice cues (corrections and encouragement) to get him comfortable close to the sheep and not using the grip so much. Turn the sound waaaay up and sorry about the wind popping - but it's worth it to get what Robin is saying, and when.

I wanted to bump this since Robin was talking about Moss before the holidays and what she did with him. Thought it might have gotten lost - or people are just getting bored with my videos. :rolleyes:

thanks for posting the videos...i love watching dogs start.

I really just want to be herding...it's too snowy and icy here to do any practice, just chores...so that leaves about 5 dogs a day without practice.

now...i just have to get a digital video camera...this is what we have to contend with right now...

IMG_0697.jpg

We had about 2 more feet of snow and than an inch of rain...yuck!

Cynthia

Cynthia, that wouldn't be a TATER there in the middle would it?!!! :rolleyes:

Becca, it's too bad there's no video of Rocky's first session that day. It was strikingly different, that's for sure. One minute he was ripping up sheep legs and the next acting like he didn't want to work, much less cover. He was a totally different dog the second session.

Tater is up in the top corner...that's Tater's mom....Pam in the middle...I can't tell them apart half the time.

I've been working with Tate and although not trilled with the overall breeding of this particular litter (two are working, one is coming along..(tate) and one LOVES toys) she is coming along. I've been using lots of sushing and calling her name to come in...she does a lot of heeling, nipping at the heels but balances well. I'm not correcting that at all right now because she is working...she does like to work the large flock much better than just a few sheep. Just a really really late maturer...not what I want in my puppies...but DAMN she is cutE!

One of the litter mates to my Tackaberry's Clare/Geier's Brass recently came back as he wasn't working for the guy that bought him...didn't like rules, didn't want to cover, you can see that lack of confidence rushing biting thing and bailing out...we might have to try the Robin technique on Hoss....hmmm

I guess you never really know what is going to work...but alas...as soon as the ice goes it'll be -20 again...why did I move back to Canada?

cynthia

Tater is up in the top corner...that's Tater's mom....Pam in the middle...I can't tell them apart half the time.

Okay, that makes sense - she was always on the outside of my group "gathering" everyone!

I've been working with Tate and although not trilled with the overall breeding of this particular litter (two are working, one is coming along..(tate) and one LOVES toys) she is coming along. I've been using lots of sushing and calling her name to come in...she does a lot of heeling, nipping at the heels but balances well. I'm not correcting that at all right now because she is working...she does like to work the large flock much better than just a few sheep. Just a really really late maturer...not what I want in my puppies...but DAMN she is cutE!

She is definitely adorable! Sounds like she's made big progress since I had her, she didn't want nuthin' to do with big white things. :rolleyes:

I guess you never really know what is going to work...but alas...as soon as the ice goes it'll be -20 again...why did I move back to Canada?

You probably don't want to know what the weather is like here then. :D I'd go stir crazy up there!