BC Boards

Hi Everyone!

Hey There! I just stumbled upon these boards and I'm glad I did!

I have a 3 year old Border Collie/Malamute cross named Daisy Duke. I think the only Malamute trait she inherited was the "talking" man she makes some weird noises! But other than that, she is all Border Collie. It's nice to read some of these stories and find out that my dog is normal! I grew up on a farm and we always had dogs, but never a BC. She is my first one, and I have to admit, she was an impulse buy, but the best one I've ever made! When she was between 4 and 6 months old I said I would never, ever get another one, but now I am trying to convince the old man that we really should scrap the idea of getting a boxer and get another BC. Daisy is a bit of a couch potato and I would really like a dog that I can do agility with...! Oh well, either breed would be fine! There were a lot of issues when she was a puppy that seemed to have disappeared or are in the works of getting better since one of the people I used to live with moved out, so I have a feeling she was mistreated when I wasn't around, which just makes my blood boil, but I can't prove anything. So, I'm thinking that the difficulties I had with her wouldn't necessarily be repeated with another one in a better living situation. BUT one big surprise to me, this BC was never a chewer...I guess I kinda got lucky on that one!

Anyway, that's our story, hope to talk to you all soon!

Merry Christmas!

Looking forward to more stories! My BIL has a Malamute/Aussie mix. I'd love to see pictures of Daisy and see whether there's any resemblance. Heck, we just need pictures, period. :rolleyes:

That may not be Malamute. My Niki (who is either BC or BC/Aussie mix) talks too. Especially when it's hike/ski time, and I'm a bit slow getting my boots on!

lol. Daisy sounds like Chewie from Star Wars when she gets going. Mostly when my BF comes home from work, it's a weird mix of howling, barking and whimpering, pure excitement all around though!

post-8266-1198469251_thumb.jpg

She doesn't look like my BIL's dog - she looks like our dog Gus!

GusHeadTiltJune07.jpg

GusStareJune07.jpg

GusLaugh.jpg

Gus is purebred, and he makes Chewie noises also.

Welcome! We had a Border Collie/husky-of-some-sort-that-I-can't-remember-now, in our last Fundamentals of Obedience class, and Denali was one sharp youngster.

I, too, have a "talker" and Celt makes the strangest sounds. He's not much of a barker but, when he gets excited, can make a range of sounds that make you wonder about him.

Best wishes with your Daisy!

Welcome! We had a Border Collie/husky-of-some-sort-that-I-can't-remember-now, in our last Fundamentals of Obedience class, and Denali was one sharp youngster.

I, too, have a "talker" and Celt makes the strangest sounds. He's not much of a barker but, when he gets excited, can make a range of sounds that make you wonder about him.

Best wishes with your Daisy!

Thanks!

She is quite a vocal dog most times! It's fun to hear that she isn't the only one that makes strange noises! It cracks me up every time! We are trying to get her to "sing" when we give her belly rubs, it's super funny!

She's an incredibly smart dog, but it's almost like she's smarter than us and uses that to her advantage, she will play dumb unless there are treats involved and then it depends on what kind of treats we have how fast she will catch on. It took me 10 minutes to teach her to sit with soft meaty treats and 3 weeks to shake a paw with hard crunchy treats, two days for a 1 minute stay with the meaty treats again. It's almost like..."You cheap out on the treats, I cheap out on the obedience, suckers!"

A very smart dog and a very smart child have a lot in common, and you need to be smarter than either in order to be the leader in the relationship. I am constantly amazed at how easily a dog or child can manipulate loving and intelligent adults, and the adults don't have a clue.

For some reason, it can take time to teach a desired behavior but the undesired ones can be picked up almost instantly! Make sure that you respond appropriately and immediately to undesired behaviors so they don't become ingrained habits.

Consistency, clarity, fairness, correction, and affection are all essential parts of the training process.

Very best wishes!