BC Boards

what does your BC weigh?

Jake weighs 44 lbs and we can feel his ribs easily. JJ weighs 55 lbs. We can feel his ribs but just not as easily. JJ stands 22" and has a long body, IMO.

Cody (1-1/2 years old) has been with Jake and JJ and he looks leaner and smaller than both of them, but he actually weighs 49 lbs. He also has a long body and has a long, lean look. Even his tail isn't thick and heavy, it's long and thin like an Irish Setter's!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zoey is 37 pounds (she's getting close to 2 years) and new dog Jinx is also 37 pounds and is probably between 2-3 years. In his paperwork it said he was only 33 pounds when he was picked up at the shelter a few months ago, he must have been a bag of bones as he's very skinny now.

Recon is 3 years old and weighs anywhere between 31 pounds and 35 pounds. When she's at 31 she's a bit too skinny, but keeping weight on her is a chore. I wish I had her metabolism.

Eilidh is just under a year old and probably weighs about 40 pounds. She's a tad overweight, though.

Sasha (5 years old) has been sneaking extra food through holes in the bags... and ballooned up to about 55lbs. So she's on a diet and grumpy about it. (She's healthier at around 46-47) - she's a mix and has a broad chest, but needs to lose some weight.

Zoe (13 months or so) is a sleek 35 lbs, and is a little smaller than Sasha in stature.

Jazz - 22 1/2" at the shoulder - 49 lbs (male)

Cricket - 21 1/2 at the shoulder - 42 lbs (female) - I'd like to get her a bit leaner because of her FHO hip surgery and I'm trying to avoid having the other side done.

I'll add mine:

MOLLY- 6yr 54 lbs long-bodied,tall and lean

ROY- 2yr 49 lbs about 2 inches shorter than mama Molly

ROCK- 2yr 51 lbs longer bodied than Roy, ribby

NELL- 2yr 48 lbs a hint shorter than the boys, both in height and body length

The 3 youngsters are the same height/build as their sire

My first BC, a grand daughter of Pope Robertson's Lash II weighed in at a whopping 28 lbs. Her full

sister ( a year older) was in the high 30 lb range.

I'm new to this board. I just adopted a female BC possibly mixed. She is estimated 9 mos and is 14 inches tall and weighed 24.5 when I adopted her. 2 weeks later she is 26 lbs. She has one blue eye and one brown eye with a patch of blue in that eye. She has BC markings white crested with black. She also has some grey wolf like markings around the face and on both hind legs. her coat seems smoother than I would expect on a Collie. The Shelter said she was a "rough collie".

This is our first BC.

post-8257-1198171990_thumb.jpg

Hey, bfitzp. Welcome and please share some pics of your new girl when you can. I'm curious what you mean by wolf like markings. :rolleyes:

Thank you.. Down the middle of her back she is Solid Black. Around her face and on her legs she has a mix of Brown/White/Black which sort of looks like a Wolf to me. My wife says she looks like a cat in her face.

Attached are some new pics taken on my Cell Phone.

Hopefully you can see the markings.

I'm confused what she is. I know she has some BC by the erect collie ears, white crest and black back. She seems smaller though than most BCs I've read about. She is only 14 inches tall and 26 lbs. She also has bright pink on her nose and around the mouth?

post-8257-1198258621_thumb.jpg

post-8257-1198258646_thumb.jpg

post-8257-1198258664_thumb.jpg

The marks you're talking about look like brindling to me. My Lightning (BC/lab mix) is tri-coloured with brindling where you'd expect the brown to be. (Black all over with white legs, white chest, white strip up his face and white tail tip), but above/around the white on his chest and legs he's brindled, and his cheeks and eyebrow spots are too. He's the dog in my avatar, not sure if you can blow that up to see him better or not.

The marks you're talking about look like brindling to me. My Lightning (BC/lab mix) is tri-coloured with brindling where you'd expect the brown to be. (Black all over with white legs, white chest, white strip up his face and white tail tip), but above/around the white on his chest and legs he's brindled, and his cheeks and eyebrow spots are too. He's the dog in my avatar, not sure if you can blow that up to see him better or not.

Yes those are the same markings. You say your Lightning is a BC/Lab mix, I thought our Angel might be too... She has some of the Lab friendliness about her. She also seems to have a Lab tail and coat. She seems fixated on birds and will stand like a pointer with her left paw up at times.

I've never owned a BC and I can see her independence... I'm going to need training myself to become Calm and Assertive. I tend to react out of frustration when she doen't listen. I've been taking her to the park twice a day and letting her off leash for exercise. She can run forever. I started her fetching a stick, but then she became obseesed with sticks and will not drop or give to me. If I can't catch her fast enough she will eat some of it which is bad. I tend went to a plastic horseshoe. She will bring it back and drop it most of the time. However she gets bored goes off on her own (selective hearing) and will eat just about anything on the ground including dog waste. I get really frustrated trying to stop her. She then runs with anything I say "no" about. She even eats dirt and mud.

Would love some advice...

Thanks

Joy's 17 mos, and she's approx. 18" and 32 pounds. Our 'neighbors' (the live a few blocks away, lol) have a male, quite obese male who's 23 1/2" and 64 pounds. YIKES!

I tend went to a plastic horseshoe. She will bring it back and drop it most of the time. However she gets bored goes off on her own (selective hearing) and will eat just about anything on the ground including dog waste.

Her 'selective hearing' isn't really selective...she's just choosing not to listen to you (I'm not sure if thats what you meant). What you need to do is make a light line. Go to your local farming or hardware type store (like Farm N Fleet) and get 100 feet of 3/8" thick cord and a snap. They usually come in sizes about 100 feet. If not, trim it down and seal the ends, or tie pieces together to make something 100 feet. Tie a clasp on the end, and tie knots every one or two feet. Take her to the park, and put the long line on. Unravel it, and let her play like normal. If she doesn't drop her stick, and she starts eating it, reel her into you and make her give up that stick. If she won't come back when called, MAKE her come back. If she's eating poo, then lead her away from it.

The key is to reward her everytime she does what you ask-don't make it just a treat or a pat. Mix it up...be it praise, a treat, getting the stick back, allowance to roll in smelly dog waste (that's a reward in the dogs mind, not ours LOL) or anything the DOG perceives as good. You would be more likely to runn a 100 meter dash if you got ice cream once, praise the next, a hug the next, 10,000 dollars the next, and a trip to Hawaii the next. What you want to teach her is not to turn on her "selective hearing" and put on her listenning ears. You're teaching her that being with you is a GOOD THING, and not listening to you is a BAD THING.

What can happen is leash dependency. She'll only listen on leash, but off leash she wreaks havok. IF thats the case, drive to the park (if you don't already do so). If she isn't listening, take her to the car for a 5 minute time out. Take her out. Play some more. If she doesn't listen, take her in another time out. Let her out. If she doesn't listen again, take her home. It's her loss that she can't play, and you're showing her not listening is simply not an option. What if she sees a cat on the other side of the road, and she turns on her "selective" hearing once again? Are you going to let her get hit by a car? Well, I should hope not! One of the most important things to teach a dog is to always listen to you, no matter how inconveniencing.

I wish you luck!