BC Boards

what does your BC weigh?

I have had Bandit for 2 yrs now. He is now about 3 yrs old. Until recently he has always weighed 45 lbs. He now weighs 48lbs. I have read males can weigh between 30-45lbs. That surpises me since he gets plenty of activity daily and is not over weight. You can still feel his ribs. I'm guessing at 3 yrs old he is now full grown?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Border collies can vary widely in healthy weight ranges. In my experience, a 30-pound male is much more rare than a 50-pound male. If you can easily feel his ribs and he seems healthy otherwise, I woudn't worry too much. My three range between 38-42 pounds.

My boy turned 2 about two months ago and he was 44 lb at the last weight in. He's about 23 inches tall. You can easily feel his ribs, even see them when he's dripping wet, and gets plenty of exercise. He's been at this weight since he was about 8-9 months old.

If you do a search on the boards you'll get lots of answers for that question!

Because BCs vary so much in size, its not so much the weight, but the individual dogs body condition. I think Missy is 21" and has weighed at about 38# for most of the 5 1/2 years that I've had her. Kipp is light boned and 19" and weighs in at a whopping 28#! They are both very fit and active and I can easily feel their ribs. They are also both at their ideal weight for their body size/bone structure.

Solo's up to 54 pounds -- yikes. How did that happen? He seems fit so perhaps it's muscle weight but he still needs to lose some. Yikes.

Haven't weighed Fly in a while.

Jett weighed in at 11 pounds on Monday! (she's just shy of nine weeks now)

Rain (now 9 months) was about 40 pounds when weighed about a month ago. I think she's somewhere around 18-20" tall.

Storm (also 9 months) was 50 pounds at that time. He's about 22" tall.

Lightning (almost 3 year old BC/lab) is 64 pounds of lean muscle and 24"

:D ok i donkt now much aboiut inches and Lbs we dont use them here :rolleyes:

My dog 20 months old 54cm weights about 22-23kg and according to our vet he must put on some 2-3 kg more cause you can easily feel his ribs

Really? Delta is 50cm and weighs 15kgs and is a great size. Is he particularly muscley or anything? That seems extremely heavy. Generally I find that if the vet tells you they are a good weight it means they need to lose a few kilos. Especially with mine as they are heavily involved in dog sports. I would hate to think how hard it would be for them to run an agility course or spend a whole day racing at a flyball comp carrying the amount of fat around their ribs that a vet seems to like.

A good way to tell if they are a good size- make a fist and run your other hand over the top of the knuckles. That is how obvious your dogs ribs should feel when you run your hand along them.

She translates as about 33lbs to answer the OP.

Mick is six days short of seven months and was 35 lbs. when the vet weighed him Monday afternoon. There's not an ounce of fat on him. He's gained 5 1/2 lbs. since we got him less than a month ago. His chest and shoulders are really filling out and broadening.

Let's see:

Boy, M/C, nearly 13 yrs, 42 pounds

Jill, F/S, 11.5 y.o., ~40 lbs (because of her hips, she probably should lose a pound)

Willow, F/S, 10.5 y.o., 37 lbs

Farleigh, M/C, 9 y.o., 37 lbs

Kat, F, 7.5 y.o., 35-36 lbs

Twist, F/S, 6 y.o., 38 lbs

Lark, F, nearly 2, 28 lbs

Pip, M, 17 months, 42 lbs

Phoebe, F, 17 months, 32 lbs

Of all these dogs, Jill and Boy are the largest size--both are longer than my other dogs, and slightly taller. I have measured them before but don't remember their heights.

If Lance's weight is stable and you can easily feel his ribs and he's healthy in all other aspects, he's probably fine.

J.

Annie is a rough-coat, and weighs in the range of 32 pounds. I have seen male smooth-coats, however, that went up to the 60-pound range, and were not fat. The size of a Border Collie has wide variations, so there is no universal standard (remember, we are consdering real Border Collies, not standardized AKC Barbie Collies) ; as long as a BC is trim and active, whatever its weight is the right weight.