BC Boards

A Dog Year

That's just great....(sarcasm). I see they are going to

make John Katz's book "A Dog Year" into a movie.

That means alot of people are going to be wanting

border collies and ultimately dumping them..........

Remember "101 Dalmations" and the resultant

dalmation craze?

I hope I'm wrong............Mona

I agree completely. That author bothers me in many ways. His treatment of the dog in the book is irresponsible and dangerous and unwise from the start. I hate it that they are making a movie about it especially as this will just bring him more money and attention for being such an "expert".

Bah!

Its been a while since I've read the book but wasn't the dog a handful with issues? Maybe it will make some people realize that these beautiful dogs require a lot of work, exercise and attention. And I hope people are smarter than John Katz was and DO NOT run their dogs along a fence line to chase cars just to run off energy and call it a "job".

Please leave this man alone. He is an author of a book. It has been optioned for a movie. You may or may not appreciate his books or his opinions, but please--he's not a danger to himself or others. Not even to his dogs--despite the much-debated fence line car chasing. I have worked really hard to read the threads here where people are sharing information and ignore the 90% of them that are pretty much worthless (pet pyschics?). But whenever this man's name comes up this site gets as catty and as nasty as they come. In Nazi Germany they burned books. Since then, most of the world has simply come to recognize people's rights to express themselves--and even have movies made from books we didn't like. Come on now.

And YOU do not have to read these threads that speak folks feelings. To say no one should comment on this or any subject for that matter is the same as what you say the nazis did. I do have the right to say I don't agree with something but not the right to force someone to feel the same. Expressing ones feelings on something is a far cry from book burning.

Are you one of his relates? :rolleyes:

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

While I agree that we're all beating a dead horse if we start the Katz debate, I believe the thread was started as a mere concern for the future of the breed if a movie about border collies is released. On that note, I share the original poster's concern of "That means alot of people are going to be wanting border collies and ultimately dumping them..." The day this movie is released will be a sad day for the breed.

ignore the 90% of them that are pretty much worthless (pet pyschics?).

Well Might i say come on now. You come here saying we shouldnt insult and then you make a comment like that? I brought up that topic in the hopes to help a foster who is in a bad way.

As for this topic I'm reading it because I dont know a thing about this topic

Originally posted by GeorgiaBC:

he's not a danger to himself or others. Not even to his dogs--despite the much-debated fence line car chasing. I have worked really hard to read the threads here where people are sharing information and ignore the 90% of them that are pretty much worthless (pet pyschics?).

If you're so discusted with "90% of the worthless" information, why are you still on here? And are you really saying "fence-line car chasing" isnt a danger? What happens when there isnt a fence between the car and the dog? I guess when the dog is hit because it was chasing cars isnt bad to you? Your post really struck a nerve with me. You just bad mouthed most of our board here, and I really take offense to that.

In Nazi Germany they burned books. Since then, most of the world has simply come to recognize people's rights to express themselves--and even have movies made from books we didn't like. Come on now.
Umm, aren't we just using our right to express ourselves here? Just because the guy writes a book doesn't mean we can't say anything negative about it.

I've been following and participating in these forums for years. What the heck have I been missing?

I have worked really hard to read the threads here where people are sharing information and ignore the 90% of them that are pretty much worthless (pet pyschics?).
Do you mean that 90% of the information here is useless? That 90% has to do with pet psychics?

In what alternative universe do you live!?!

I'm with you Nancy. I too have been on the boards for awhile, and I am confused as to the meaning of that 90% and Pet Psychic, statement??

I also really do not know that much about Katz, so maybe some one could give me the short version, and some opinions or tell me what thread was talking about him anyway??, I must have missed that. Maybe I should read his book??? Which book are ya'll talking about?

Either way anyone here knows that we all disagree alot, and have both positive and negative views about certain issues, unless I am missing something else, what's so new about that??? :rolleyes:

GeorgiaBC...help us understand why you are so sensitive about this man or book?

Nevermind!!! Just found the thread on Katz and the movie..

Originally posted by GeorgiaBC:

I have worked really hard to read the threads here where people are sharing information and ignore the 90% of them that are pretty much worthless (pet pyschics?). But whenever this man's name comes up this site gets as catty and as nasty as they come.

You know what? Don't knock the pet physics until you've tried one ok?? I myself have talked with my animals that way and one of those pet physics saved my dog's life(and I'd be real glad to refer her to anyone too- she is that WONDERFUL!).

Also I don't really give a hoot if you or anyone else believes me. All I know is that it gave me many more happy years with my girl.

Don't knock those who want the best for their dogs and are willing to go the extra mile for it, or try something new.

And this is a border collie board.

We can and lol...often WILL discuss anything we want.

And hey, if you don't like it, try to remember- no one is forcing you to read it!!

PS

I agree. These types of movies are never good for purebred dogs. Everyone see one and then the next moment rushes out to get what they think is the perfect dog for them. NOT good. Then there is a huge influx of them going into the shelters and rescues.

Don't knock the pet physics until you've tried one ok??
So, if we've tried one (free at a trial because I worked it), are we allowed to knock it?

To put it lightly, it was the biggest bunch of hooey I ever heard.

Jodi

If you got a phoney I am very sorry. But there are alot of phoney's out there in every line of work.

I had a good experience( it was free, because she was at Death's door), and I just wanted to share.

Solo- sorry if I offended you but again just my experience. If these posts bother you don't read them.

I am after all allowed my viewpoint, aren't I guys?

We all have different ways of raising our dogs. Let's not knock each other for wanting to share (what we think) some good ideas.

Possibly this portion of the law is in effect:

It is considered poor form to arbitrarily raise such a comparison with the motive of ending the thread. There is a widely recognized codicil that any such deliberate invocation of Godwin's Law will be unsuccessful.
Remember that the poster in question had previously stated that 90% of the discussion here is "worthless."

Edit: meant to give the reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

That same poster also wrote this recently...

"Most people aren't like you, and are not prepared to rehab dogs with severe behavioral problems. Most of you appear to live for your dogs.*snip*But for millions of other people their dogs are just one part of otherwise full lives.

You people feed off each other, complain, commiserate, roll your eyeballs at lesser dog owners. I come here to get and share information. Everyone stresses positive training methods with their dogs. But there's so much negativity on this site, it sometimes just wears me down.

Just a suggestion--Why not spend more time enjoying your dogs and less time kvetching online?" -- here's the link previous post

So how about if you are so unhappy with us, you just stop reading it. I've looked at most of your posts and really I think you could be the majority of the "90%" here with "worthless" posts.

Originally posted by SoloRiver:

By Godwin's Law, this thread should have died several posts ago.

Ha! A "worthless" thread that I actually learned something from. There's a paradox in here somewhere....

How on earth can 90% of whats here be worthless???? In what way is it worthless, some of it may not be linked to how to train or look after your dogs, some of it may just be about a cute behavior... if that story or picture brings a smile to someones face then it is not worthless!

Can you imagine a world where we could only talk about certain 'serious' topics and any bad feelings we had had to be kept bottled up (as someone who suffers terrible allopecia, I can say whole heartedly that that is not healthy or productive)?

So what if people want to rant, we all have bad days and thing that really bug us, why arent we allowed to express that? You guys are the only 'dog people' I know, so it'd be pointless me stressing about the Dog Whisperer or Bailey's bad days or a badly behaved dog I know etc etc to anyone else - they wouldnt have a clue!

Your post really wound me up Georgia, how dare you come here and start slating people for asking a question, as for the pet psychic question, at least it shows she is open minded and cares for her dogs with all her heart, something I'm guessing you aren't (open minded that is), caring about your dogs can probably be disputed to given your rant about us lot on that previous post that someone has given the link for. Sounds like your the one bringing all the negativity, not us!!!

Just my opinion

Claire

I have read John Katz's book and that is my concern. As an enterataining piece of work I think his book was a good one. On being informative about Border Collies I think he is way off base. The training for car chasing especially horrified me. A border collie for herding or agility or such has a job to do and an outlet for their high drive. Not everyone can handle one for a pet.

I am German and I take offense at your Nazi remark. My family actually lived through this and I think it immmature to make comments along this line. When someone makes a comment about a

book it does not mean they support genecide.

Mona in Virginia.

• 1 month later...