BC Boards

Now for the REALLY dumb question...

I've been lurking for awhile and made a few posts, one that got a few good laughs. But, what I really want to know is...

How do I raise a Border Collie???

The short recap on how I got Mattie, I was at the vet and I EPC'ed (Emergency Protective Custody)a puppy with a broken leg. I had planned on finding her a good home. The good home turned out to be mine.

Do I need to find some sheep for her to herd? I don't know if there are any sheep in South Carolina. Will cows work? She herds Pepper. Does that count? But, she nips at his back legs. Why does she do that? Why is she all black? Why does it look like she's turning red in the sunlight? Is she supposed to chase birds? Or did she learn that from Pepper? What books can I read to help me learn more about Border Collies???? Can she be trained to be a service dog/therapy dog?

Thank you

Liz

LOL!! Liz you have all the help you need right here.

I can speak to the bird chasing. That's just 'dog'. Some do, some don't. She may have learned that from Pepper (I assume is the cat) but Meg has been fascinated by birds since I showed her what was making the honk honk noise when the Canadian geese that didn't over winter here started heading back north a month or so ago.

Whoa! That's a lot of questions!

Good for you that you stepped in to help out a poor pup in need. Sounds like you also must have fallen in love with her or you wouldn't have kept her.

Couldn't quite tell if your questions were "tongue in cheek" or if you really wanted answers (and you'll probably get some), but for what it's worth, I guess I'll give you my two cents:

Sheep: If you don't have any handy, you can channel your pup's energies in other areas (how old is the dog)? Agility, tracking and flyball are all good dog sports. Do you have cattle? If so, that would probably work, too, but from what I understand from my cattle-owning friends, cows react differently to being herded than sheep. The folks who actually get to work their dogs on stock can help you out here more than I can.

Is Pepper another dog? BCs often will herd other dogs, kids, cats, etc. They will also nip at the back of the legs to get the animal/kids to get them to move where they want them to. I would discourage that behavior, it can get Mattie into trouble if she nips the wrong person.

If Mattie is all black, is she a BC mix? Do you know what she is mixed with? Black often takes on a red or blue sheen in direct light.

I don't know about all BCs, but mine really likes to chase birds, apparently (I have found a couple of deceased ones in the yard this last week and our cat was in the house. :rolleyes: )

Some BCs make great service or therapy dogs. If you are interested, you should check with local dog training clubs/hospitals to see if there is a program in your area. Mattie will need obedience classes/training before most programs will accept her.

Good luck with Mattie and welcome to the Boards!

Originally posted by Dixie_Girl:

I will just add that there is indeed sheep in SC! But I am in the north part of SC (by greenville) Don't know where you are, but I bet there are some around!

I just moved to Gaffney, SC about 9 months ago. Not real sure about where to go for training and that sort of thing around here. I'm only 45 minutes from Greenville. More than willing to travel to a good trainer.

Wayne and Peggy Parker live in Gaffney. They have cattle and sheep. I don't know if they give lessons, but if not, they might be able to point you in the direction of someone who can help you. Try e-mailing redtopfarm at msn dot com. Wayne is out at the cattle finals right now, and I don't know if Peggy is with him, so if you don't hear back right away, that might be why.

J.

I would like to reccommend a book "your Border Collie's Life. by Kim D.R. Dearth.

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/catalog/r...?authorid=34838

I am no expert on this breed, im on my 2nd BC tho and i wish i had this book for my first BC.

oh YEAH! The popular dog series of magazines has a Border Collie issue. Some very good info in there as well.

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog/magazines/po...er_collies.aspx