BC Boards

Turkey

My dogs ate our Thanksgiving Turkey one year. I bought a frozen turkey and it had been thawing in the sink. I went out to feed the sheep and came back in to find all 5 dogs eating the turkey. One of them, probably my Komondor, had climbed up and pulled it out of the sink. Since it was the night before Thanksgiving, I had to make an impromptu trip to the grocery store to buy a fresh turkey at twice the price. I cut the stolen turkey up and let them eat it over the next few days. I wouldn't worry about giving your dog raw turkey or bones, but I wouldn't let her have any bones that have been cooked. A little cooked meat would probably be OK though.

Emily

I can't afford to feed raw anymore but I used to give my dogs a whole turkey and let them work on it for a few days. The entire bird is fine, just remember to take the wrapper holding the innards out of the turkey first, and the wire thingy if it has one. Raw bones are fine but as was mentioned, cooked bones from any animal are dangerous. I would avoid feeding your dog kibble 12 hours before feeding raw because it can take up to that long for them to fully digest kibble. Raw is fully digested in something like 4 hours if I remember right, and you don't want the one holding up the other and causing digestive problems. I feed my dogs all of the turkey bones but if you are uncomfortable doing that then save them for stock/broth or just throw them out. I hope Ceana enjoys her Thanksgiving meal!

Miz

I got a couple of frozen turkeys that had busted wrappers for cheap for the dogs. One turkey feeds six Border collies and one guard dog for a day and a half. I have one dog that can handle the drumsticks, but most of them can't or don't crunch up the drumsticks very well.

As others have said, no cooked bones.

The following link may be of some use: Turkey For Dogs. Our vet has warned us specifically against feeding turkey skin (as it can cause Pancreatitis) and turkey bones (which can splinter easily). In general, turkey meat is safe, unless you use unusual spices; this might upset the dog's stomach. This link is a useful guide as to what is poisionous for dogs: Poisonous Substances

Thank you all so much. Ceana is going to get a little turkey, which will absolutely make her day. She got to eat some chicken when she was sick and now if you say "chicken" around her she licks her lips lol. She eats her kibble once a day ( in the evening- otherwise we get carpet surprises when we get home from work) so she should be fine by the time dinner is ready. LOL i have never cooked a turkey before so this is going to be interesting. We are just having "the guys, " come over for football & dinner so this is the time to experiment. LOL they would eat the bird if I burnt it.

She got to eat some chicken when she was sick

A little cooked chicken mixed in with her food is an occasional treat, and is good for the dog. Whenever we bake chicken, or parboil and cook it on the grill, we always make a little extra to give the girls mixed in with their food afterwards (sans BBQ sauce, in the latter case); it also provides them with a little variety now and then. In addition, we mix watered-down low-sodium chicken broth with their kibble-based regular meals to add some flavor and provide a little moisture in the food.