BC Boards

O/T Big kitty-kats -- my current desktop picture

Hector - I know, right? Glass in between me and them, and they were just cubs. So adorable. We were on our honeymoon.... and seeing those cats was the best part of the whole trip. :rolleyes: I have another photo of us holding a cub.... wow. How cool was that! I just adore tigers.

Thanks, Hector! It's really kind of amazing to be that close to them... without the barriers in between. There's an immediacy to it that makes you suddenly aware of how massive, how powerful, how casually lethal they actually are. Plus there's something about the eyes... mesmerizing. The cheetahs are more lightly buit, but there's still that stillness in their eyes, that sense of intent, acute concentration and focus, that certain abrupt sharpening of attention that informs you that 100% of their focus is right there, pinpointed on you. You feel the weight of that gaze, sudden and heavy, and you get it how the gazelles and the zebras suddenly know which one of them has been singled out, which one of them is prey.

We were very lucky... my lifetime total of wild cheetah is 6, as is my lifetime total of wild leopard (let me know if you want to hear my best leopard story!) The lions - not sure how many, maybe 30? 40? (not all so close as this.) We just had AMAZING animal Karma. There are people who go for a 2 week safari and never get to see all the Big Five. One day we saw all of them in 24 hours. That's a feat that's practically unheard of. We were pretty impressed with outselves, until the next day, when we saw all of the Big Five again... before lunch.

Sigh. The trouble with going to Africa is that you'll always want to go back. Like I do right now....