BC Boards

Be on the lookout!

Just wanted to inform people that the scammers are now targeting our BC community!

We received an e-mail from a guy who said he was interested in a puppy we have for sale. I wrote back and gave him the information and price. His original e-mail had misspelled words and broken sentences, so I kind of wondered...

Below is the e-mail the guy sent back to us, stating he wanted the pup and the instructions on what to do with the money. Sound fishy to you???? I heard about this kind of scam on Dateline, but it never occurred to me that they would target someone in the attempt to buy a pup. If you have not heard of this scam, the money order is fake... you deduct the money out of your bank and then wire the difference to them.... they take the money and run. When I saw this second e-mail below, I told David to reply back and say the pup has been sold!

Just a warning to be on the lookout! Christine

Below is the e-mail reply we received:

"Thank you for your quick response and i would like the one you have all i care is a sound dog.and a nice pet and Thanks very much for your email, i need the Male not more than $600. so well get back to me ok. I also want to alert you on the fact that you will be receiving anoverdraft Check or Money Order, which will cover the money for the pickup

(pickup and shipping to the final destination) as well as the money to be paid to the company that will take care of the pickup and the documentation with you. So please, as soon as you receive the Money Order, go and cash them immediately, deduct the money that accrues to you, and send the balance to the Head Office of the company that handles the shipment via the nearest Western Union agent in your area. Deduct the Western Union charges from the balance and send the remaining to RECIPIENT immediately .

The check or Money Orders will be in your name to make it easier for you to

receive payment, deduct your money and send the balance via Western

Union as regards my earlier direction, please reconfirm your details one more time.

I will give you the details of the company that you will send the

balance of the money to, once I get a reply and agreement

that you will send the money to them via Western Union money transfer

immediately you cash the Check.

Once the money is received by the agent , the shipping

agent will contact you immediately to arrange the documentation as well as the pick up immediately. So in view of the above, here are some of

the details I will need for final issuance of the Check

(1) Full Name

(2) Mailing address, no p.o.box please

(3) your direct telephone number

(4) acceptance of my offer

(5) Final asking price

Once you get back to me with all the above, the Money Order will be

issued out immediately and it will be sent to you .

Hope to hear from you immediately."

What gets me is why people do not get suspicious in the first place. I mean seriously, WHY would anyone trust a total stranger with that kind of money? I mean, someone is going to send me a money order for $1500 and I'm gonna take out $500 and send them the rest? The fact that people DO speaks volumes of peoples honesty in general, but I can't imagine sending someone money under those circumstances and expect to get the balance back! There is a web site where this woman purposely messes with these guys. She takes the money order and tosses it but gets great joy out of messing with them as a result via e-mail. I don't have that much time but it is funny to read the e-mails. Don't know what the web site is though. P.T. Barnum had it right. There is indeed a sucker born every day.

link

I had a scam telling me I had won a european charity lotto

I had won 2 million

all I had to do was to transfer £1000 to allow DHL to send the cheque

I made DHL aware of this and then spent a bit of time mailing the guy back - figured that the more time he had to mail me then that was some poor soul saved

It did sound really good

Have a friend who spent ages making up a fake company with a daft name and having the guy stand outside his HQ with a fax of the company and send him a foto of it - and they did it

All to try and scam money off of us!

Christine

I received a similar email when I had a dog for sale. The email immediately addressed payment, money orders, wires etc. It smelled like a scam and I won't sell a dog to someone who have a number of conversations with me first. I hit the delete button.

I work for a bank and it is amazing the number of scams and frauds that are proliferating to rob you of your money.

It is truly disgusting.

Elizabeth

Sweet Ceana, nothing happens to the dog. it's a scam and no one ever shows up to get the dog. They send you X amount of dollars in a bogus money order and you take it to your bank, cash it, send them the remaining money in "good" dollars. Then your bank contacts you to tell you the MO was bad and YOU have to repay. You will never hear from the scammers again.

Just wanted to inform people that the scammers are now targeting our BC community!

We received an e-mail from a guy who said he was interested in a puppy we have for sale. I wrote back and gave him the information and price. His original e-mail had misspelled words and broken sentences, so I kind of wondered...

Below is the e-mail the guy sent back to us, stating he wanted the pup and the instructions on what to do with the money. Sound fishy to you???? I heard about this kind of scam on Dateline, but it never occurred to me that they would target someone in the attempt to buy a pup. If you have not heard of this scam, the money order is fake... you deduct the money out of your bank and then wire the difference to them.... they take the money and run. When I saw this second e-mail below, I told David to reply back and say the pup has been sold!

Just a warning to be on the lookout! Christine

This same scam has been going around the horse world for years now. I think the best response may be no response.

Carolyn

A man the relinquished his tow BC's to me got similar emails when he posted them for adoption on Petfinder's classifieds section. After he told me about this, I decided to post a fake ad. All I got were a ton of these emails. One guy wrote me to say that he wanted a dog for his family. I told him that the dog didn't like children and would bite men (this was a fictional dog, so it could be whatever I wanted) he didn't seem to care--because all he wanted to do was scam me out of my money. Has anyone seen the funny tv commercials that mock the internet scams? We have them around here, they're hilarious.

Emily

I got a mail from one of these scammers when I listed 42 bales of silage for sale. He wanted them shipped by UPS to an office in Torrington, CT. (For those unfamiliar, silage bales are wrapped round bales of haycrop silage. They're about four feet in diameter, about four feet tall, and weigh 1,200 to 1,500 lbs each. A flatbed semi-trailer can haul about 30 or 32 at a time.) I strung him along for a while, sending copies of everything to the consumer protection division of the local DA's office. The DA said there wasn't anything they could do unless I was willing to accept the bogus check and get stung, which I couldn't afford to do.

THey just find anything listed for sale on the Internet and construct the e-mail to suit.

When I had a horse for sale I had someone say they wanted to buy her and have her shipped overseas (sight unseen, they're going to pay to ship a $2800 horse overseas?). Also, a nun from a poor church in Mexico wanted to buy a saddle from me. Uh huh. Here's a link to a funny site about scamming the scammers. Be prepared to laugh as you read the stories:

http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html

I just got one of these scams last week. I have a started female for sale and this guy's email that he sent had terrible grammar and was a bit hard to understand. It wasn't hard for me to figure out it was a scam. He didn't ask me a single question about her working style or anything for that matter only that he wanted to know how much she was and he was going to be sending me the money order as soon as I responded. If it were a puppy, maybe I could see someone falling for it, but trying it on a working dog and not asking any details at all. Come on now, they're gonna have to do better than that! :rolleyes: I simply wrote him back and told him I knew he wasn't interested in my dog and he responded with "Why do you think that?" Then I sent him to my spam folder. Everyone's looking for that almighty buck. Be careful out there.

Jenna

• 3 weeks later...

The sad thing is that someone has to fall for it sometime or else they'd go away by now.

My 84 yr old father in law will bring stuff (from the internet or snail mail) over all the time to ask us what we think, the ol' guy would probably fall for something like that if we weren't watching him. Right before my MIL died she bought some huge scam from sears phone solicitors for siding and soffit she didn't need cause the sales guy was nice. FIL just finished paying that one off.

They came from a different time, where they remember people being honest and bad guys going to jail.

Scary times we're living in

Kristen