BC Boards

How to teach tennis ball fetching?

Guest SweetJordan
Oh, no. My shoulder's tired enough as it is. Though if Riley likes to chase or wrestle, she can come over for a play date :-)

She loves all doggie games. She would just have to get to know them first. She's afraid of strange dogs. It takes her a while to warm up unless the dog bows to her. Though she's afraid of everything. The poor thing was kept in a crate almost 24/7 by her previous owners. The only thing that doesn't scare her is when she goes to the farm for herding lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

This is funny, and a little off topic as it's concerning a Bernese Mountain dog, but as far as Fetch goes, my sister's pups' trainer told her that if you throw the ball away continually, the dog assumes you don't want it anymore... :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, the advice here is great because I am also trying to teach my BC pups to play this game.

My Meg was incredible at how fast she picked up the whole retrieve thing. She has always had a strong drive, so running out for the ball was absolutely no problem, so that was a great start... But getting her to bring it all the way back is more tricky.. First thing i done was, when she ran out for the ball...I started walking backwards, but all the time facing her, as soon as she picked up the ball, i'd shout "Good girl Meg, bring it here" and i'd start walking backwards a bit faster, that way she would speed up towards me, when she got about half way, i'd turn around and start running really fast away from her further... This spurred her on to catch me up as fast as she could... All the while she was bringing the ball with her. When i stopped, so did she - Right at my feet, with the ball in her mouth !! Bingo! A dog which has done exactly what you want without even knowing it! I repeated this maybe 4 or 5 times, afterwhich she knew exactly what she had to do to get 'mummy' to throw her ball again :rolleyes: --- If any hiccups arrised, and she maybe dropped it a few feet away from me ... well, then i moved to the "stare-out".... She stared at the ball, waiting for me to walk over and pick it up for her.... So i played her at her own game... If she wanted that ball thrown, she'd have to bring it all the way to me.. I stared at her ball, just like she done - Standing firm in my spot! She learnt very very quickly that mum won't fetch her ball for her! This all happened at a very young age.. Now at 1 year old, she is ball crazy! The good thing about this, is its incredibly easy to teach her new commands because she will do anything if she knows the reward will be even just 1 throw of a tennis ball!! - They are so easily pleased :D

As for the not giving the tennis ball up thing - Sometimes that happened when Meg was younger. She was so into the game with her ball that she sometimes got so excited and didn't want to give it back to me when asked. The way this problem was solved was - I would bring an extra toy into the park/field with me ... If she didn't give the ball back, i'd pretent i was having loads of fun with this other toy and that she was missing out! - She couldn't bare missing out on fun with another toy and so would immediatly drop her ball and run over to attempt to join in my fun game with this other toy. As soon as she'd drop the ball to come to me, i'd quickly shout "DROP - gooood girl" and go over to pick up her ball.... A few repititions and she was dropping on command... If she ever chanced her luck and tried to keep the ball in her mouth, then i'd just pretend that i was no longer going to play with her and go off and pretend to have fun on my own - Which she hated! They always want to join in your games, and so will usually figure out very quickly what you want in order for the game to continue! :D Don't know if this is of any help, but its certainly what worked for us!