BC Boards

Year of the Working Sheepdog

stockdogranch

This is an absolutely fabulous DVD. The cinematography is stunning, as are the dogs and their work. It follows David Kennard and his pack of dogs through the cycle of managing a large flock (900, I believe) of breeding ewes over the course of a year. These are real dogs doing real work, day in and day out. He also shows snippets of starting a young pup, and we get to see the progress over time. This is not a "how to" training video, but is just a wonderful look at the dogs and the work. One of my favorite aspects of the video is that he doesn't just use one dog, or expect one dog to do all the different jobs. Rather, he makes the point that in a large operation, a person will use several dogs, depending on the particular job and the various dogs' strengths and weaknesses. Five stars!

A

I haven't seen this DVD, but I have read two of his books and thought that they were wonderful. The two books are: "A Shepherd's Watch" and "The Dogs of Windcutter Down."

Kathy