BC Boards

Not a BC, but I need some help!

Okay, my husbands' aunt has an American Eskimo dog. She rescued him about 2 years ago and he's close to 3 yrs old now.

She says that he's had two seizures. From what I understand both incidents happened around the same time he was trying to poop.

Anyway, you would think that after the first incident she would have gone straight to the vet, but no, she didn't :rolleyes: When she finally DID take him to the vet, the doc said the dog had had a seizure from constipation. Maybe it's just me, but that sounds totally nuts.

Is this for real?? Or should she take the dog to another vet?

I guess a seizure might be related to the valsalva maneuver when bearing down during a bowel movement, but I'm not sure that dogs valsalva. But if your friend doesn't understand the mechanism, why doesn't she just call her vet and ask him/her to explain the connection? A vet that's not willing to do *this* (take the time to explain their diagnosis, treatment, etc.) is probably not a great vet to be seeing . . . Was anything prescribed/suggested to prevent this from happening again?

Kim

Not as far as I know. Actually, I'm 99.9% sure that the dog isn't on any medication or treatment for it. I'm pretty sure she would have mentioned it.

Apparently, according to my DHs' aunt "he was just trying too hard to poop and had a seizure". :rolleyes:

She just talks about it like it's no big deal! Argh!

I have seen a dog have a seizure from straining and tensing up to the point of exhaustion, it could be possible that he is trying so hard that he throws himself into a seizure, My first dog had a siezure disorder and they seem to occur when the dogs are most physically tired