BC Boards

Say a prayer for Larky

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone. Lark looks like Franken-pup at the moment, and I guess the worst possibility is that she might not grow hair back on some of the areas where she was abraded the worst. The vet was absolutely amazed that given the extent of her abrasions (even in her armpits!), etc., that she managed not to break anything or do other serious damage. Her chest/abdominal X-rays looked really good. He did not X-ray her skull because he said she was showing no evidence of any neurological impairment (despite the fact that some of the worst cuts were on her head).

Liz,

He thinks her lungs will be fine. He seemed to think that she would have been coughing or otherwise showing some breathing distress yesterday if she had any bruising. While I was there, she was quite busy howling in the back--I don't know if she heard my voice or what, but she was definitely singing a rousing song back there.

He sent me home with some silver sulfadiazene to spread over all the abrasions, and thinks she might have skin die off where it was scraped so didn't stitch anything.

He also left her IV connection in just in case she got in trouble in the night, and I'm to remove that this morning. She was walking fine yesterday, but is limping some this morning, I guess as the bruising and soreness really set in. I'll keep her on the pain meds to keep her comfortable. She's also a bit depressed, but I think that's to be expected and could also be a result of the meds.

Anyway, that's the update for now. I'll try and get some pictures of her later today. It's difficult to even love on her because she's got so many areas that are scabby (but she did sleep on the bed with me last night--so what if there are now bloodstains on the bedspread--and is able to jump on and off the bed without any obvious display of discomfort). All I can say is she is one lucky little dog, and doG must have been looking out for her yesterday morning....

J.

Thanks for the update Julie. Yes, she seems to have someone looking after her. You tell her from me- "no more roads missy- you do not go near roads ever!"

I bet she will be sore- she must have rolled well with it, GOD she is fortunate. Well, I wish I could hug her. I can only imagine what your cortisol was yesterday!

Oh what a good outcome, obviously it is not very nice for you to see her sad and uncomfortable but it could have been so much worse. I am sure the night sleeping with you helped her and she is obviously getting heaps of love.

She will hopefully feel a lot better in a few days and it doesn't matter if all her fur grows back, she will just be unique, well actually they all are anyway. :rolleyes: I hope you can be giving her those cuddles without causing her pain very soon. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Poor Larky! But it sounds like she was very, very lucky - and the sheep won't care if she's got a few bald spots!

Sending lots of good recovery vibes!

Thanks for the updates, and what a huge relief the injuries weren't worse...!

The first time I laid eyes on Lulu, down at the city shelter, she'd been hit by a car and had scrapes all over and a badly broken foot. I can still see the scars on Lu's head, but only because I know where to look. [Lu is doing great these days -- did some fine outruns at Anna's the other weekend -- and sends sympathetic sniffs to Lark. Luisa sends tons of supportive vibes to Julie.]

This should pretty much be the final update on Lark I think. She is acting like her old self--dying to work and play. She acted all ouchy when I had to rub her silver sulfadiazine cream into her cuts and scrapes last night, but I suspect she was just being a drama queen. She's supposed to stay quiet for a week, but she was so desperate this morning that I let her help hold the sheep off the feed bunks (I use both her and Twist and the sheep are used to it and so don't try to run the dogs over or anything--so all Lark has to do is go in and walk up on them and I figured that little bit of "work" would make her happy.) No pain meds today, just her antibiotics and antiinflammatories. So I think she's well on the road to recovery. She doesn't get to run in the trial this coming weekend (doctor's orders), but that gives Pip and Phoebe a chance to have a go at it. I think we got very lucky this time. Thanks again for all the well wishes.

J. (And Miss Larky Malarkey aka Scarface)