BC Boards

first Open runs

SoloRiver

Okay, here's one from a recent trial, embarrassing enough, even if it's not about an outrun (since--famous last words--Twist *never* fails me there, other than the "going too wide" aspect): On day two of a trial when we had done pretty well on day one, the sheep (Montadales) were much more difficult. I wasn't real concerned given our run in the first go and the fact that Twist didn't have any trouble handling the various groups (some behaved quite different from others at the top) when we worked as the relief set out so the set out guy could run his dogs. On day two the sheep knew where the exhaust was and they didn't mind running over dogs. And they were just a bit squirrelier in general than they were on Saturday. So I sent Twist and she does a lovely outrun and a nice lift. Then the sheep zig hard toward the exhaust (to their left), so I flanked Twist come bye to cover it. Twist dropped down over a ridge and the sheep kept moving toward the exhaust, although not at a rapid pace. Reasoning, as any sensible person would :rolleyes: , that Twist must not be around far enough to their heads to stop them and turn them back on line, I kept blowing my come bye whistle. And kept blowing it. And kept blowing it. The sheep finally stopped, but I couldn't seem to get them moving in the right direction. And I still couldn't see Twist. Then I look to my right and what to my surprise do I see? My dog! I kept blowing that come bye and she kept taking it (unusual in itself since normally if I'm wrong she'll blow me off) until she had come all the way around back to the post. I don't recall saying it, but someone watching later told me when I saw her I said, "Oh, there you are!" I flanked her back around to get to the sheep (which for some reason were just sort of waiting there on the ridge, probably having stopped at about the time she crossed in front of them in response to that incessant come bye whistle).... I did get them back online and around the post, but on the drive away the run turned pretty ugly (as if it could have gotten much uglier) and I retired.

When I went up to set sheep so the set out guy could come down and run a dog, I asked him what happened. He seemed to think that once she dropped over the ridge, her presence was diminished enough that the sheep just kept moving toward the exhaust (albeit slowly). The correct thing for me to have done would have been to blow a walk up whistle, but since I couldn't see her and the sheep were moving in the wrong direction I kept flanking her. And so the run ended, not quite in a walk of shame, unless that walk also includes taking your sheep off the field after retiring a horrific run....

I was pretty upset at the time, but now I can look back and see the humor in the whole situation.

J.