BC Boards

eating fabric

I work a set schedule and I'm always home for 6 hours during the day. I keep my dogs busy during the day so they'll sleep while I am at work. We always have a good long run at the beach or park or farm. I measured out 1 km down the sideroad and Tex and I walk every day after lunch to give us some one on one time together.

Friday I started having water issues with this old house. The plumbing store is beside the beach and we had a fantastic mosey down the beach in glorious weather. Saturday, it rained hard all day and the fixit man was here and no body got any thing close to a walk. I came home from work and Tex had dragged my flannette sheep jammies out of the hamper. He chewed a dinner plate sized hole out of the shirt. Now his nose is hot, he's lethargic and won't eat. In a day or two, I will get my sheep jammie back when he barfs it up. Until then, I have to watch and worry that he has an inpaction.

He does this whenever he is miffed at me. His favourites are socks, undies and tea towels. It's not like I don't feed him. I just wish he'd chew up the phonebook instead like his brother does.

Poor Tex (and poor Jo)! Ouzo hasn't chewed any fabric in quite some time. Lots of underwear, PJ bottoms and even one shirt had fallen pray to the jaws of the white headed monster, but not in a while. Paper however cannot loose its charm and delicate taste regardless of how much he is getting reprimanded. It's like telling a kid he cannot eat sweets when he's living in a ginger house. The threat of the bad witch is a very distant and imaterial thought.

He does this whenever he is miffed at me. His favourites are socks, undies and tea towels. It's not like I don't feed him.

I know there are different opinions on the subject, but I really don't believe dogs do things like that because they're mad at us. However irritating it is (and I find it really, really irritating), I see that kind of chewing as a product of restless energy, boredom, anxiety or simply needing to crated/contained at certain times.

I sure hope Tex is feeling better soon! I know how worrying it is to wait for some chewed up item to pass or come back up.