BC Boards

Small Meltdown

Jeanne,

I've been training with my 2.5 yr old bc for about a year now. We get out there at least once a week, sometimes twice. My dog doesn't really like her away side, usually slices. Recently, we had a bit of a meltdown. She just kind of seemed to be going through the motions, no gusto if you will. So we backed off a bit and made the sessions fun for her by doing things she knows how to do(she could do no wrong). This week we're going to get back on track with some more serious training, but I told my trainer before we work on more difficult tasks, I really wanted to work on ironing out her two big problems: Trimming the top of outrun and slicing inside flanks.

For the outrun, I'd like to lie her down and set out about 50-100 yards away, step off to one side of the sheep and send her off balance, kicking her out with some pressure as she reaches the top. Can you recommend anything else I could try to accomplish this?

My dog loves to drive, but when things are moving at a fast pace, she's not willing to let go of the pressure on her inside flanks(and fetch for that matter) to make corrections. I usually lie her down first, then give the flank command. This works only 1/2 the time. Her flanks simply aren't square enough. To fix this, my trainer usually has me stay near her during the drive, I lie her down, step next to her on the side I want to send her, forcing her to square off behind me when I give the command. Again, any other recommendations?

Jeanne,

I've been training with my 2.5 yr old bc for about a year now. We get out there at least once a week, sometimes twice. My dog doesn't really like her away side, usually slices. Recently, we had a bit of a meltdown. She just kind of seemed to be going through the motions, no gusto if you will. So we backed off a bit and made the sessions fun for her by doing things she knows how to do(she could do no wrong). This week we're going to get back on track with some more serious training, but I told my trainer before we work on more difficult tasks, I really wanted to work on ironing out her two big problems: Trimming the top of outrun and slicing inside flanks.

For the outrun, I'd like to lie her down and set out about 50-100 yards away, step off to one side of the sheep and send her off balance, kicking her out with some pressure as she reaches the top. Can you recommend anything else I could try to accomplish this?

My dog loves to drive, but when things are moving at a fast pace, she's not willing to let go of the pressure on her inside flanks(and fetch for that matter) to make corrections. I usually lie her down first, then give the flank command. This works only 1/2 the time. Her flanks simply aren't square enough. To fix this, my trainer usually has me stay near her during the drive, I lie her down, step next to her on the side I want to send her, forcing her to square off behind me when I give the command. Again, any other recommendations?

I'm not a big fan of pulling a dog around me to get distance. Try leaving the dog at 100 yds. You walk half way to the sheep. Send the dog and as she's running out, walk directly toward the sheep. If you see that she is going to go deep, immediatly back off. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll give you something else to try.

For the onesidedness, stay close when working on that side, until you have made progress. Continue on with the good side.

To square the flanks, try working in a triangle. Sheep and dog make two corners while you walk along between the two, but out quite a distance. As long as your dog can see you, you should be able to get square flanks by showing your stick or your arm and asking her to flank. You shouldn't have to stop her, just ask for a flank. When she has changed the path of the sheep, tell her "there" and turn her in on the sheep. I assume that you are using a short flank command. If not, I highly recommend it. Makes it much easier to get quiet short flanks.

I assume that you are using a short flank command. If not, I highly recommend it. Makes it much easier to get quiet short flanks.

Would you mind explaining what a "short flank command" is? Is is a shorter command (like "way" instead of "away to me") or is it just a specific command for a short flank versus a longer flank?

When I am close to my dog, I can usually get short flanks that are quiet by just saying "way" quietly and then "there" after he's moved just a few steps (sometimes, he just moves a few steps and doesn't need the "there" to turn back in). When I am further away (and he is quite an anxious dog and I am an anxious handler), he may overreact to my command for a short flank and go much too far.

Thank you.

Try leaving the dog at 100 yds. You walk half way to the sheep. Send the dog and as she's running out, walk directly toward the sheep. If you see that she is going to go deep, immediatly back off. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll give you something else to try.

So are you saying that my presence should be enough to kick her out?

Would you mind explaining what a "short flank command" is? Is is a shorter command (like "way" instead of "away to me") or is it just a specific command for a short flank versus a longer flank?

When I am close to my dog, I can usually get short flanks that are quiet by just saying "way" quietly and then "there" after he's moved just a few steps (sometimes, he just moves a few steps and doesn't need the "there" to turn back in). When I am further away (and he is quite an anxious dog and I am an anxious handler), he may overreact to my command for a short flank and go much too far.

Thank you.

Yes, a short flank command is simply a shorter version of your flank commands, both voice and whistle. I start teaching these pretty early on. It makes for much less confusion, and much smoother flanks when teaching driving and inside flanks.

He's telling you that he's not ready for the distance yet. Take your time and very gradually move further away and out of sight. You could be having the problem simply because he can't see you and isn''t ready for that yet.

Thank you.

Yes, a short flank command is simply a shorter version of your flank commands, both voice and whistle. I start teaching these pretty early on. It makes for much less confusion, and much smoother flanks when teaching driving and inside flanks.

He's telling you that he's not ready for the distance yet. Take your time and very gradually move further away and out of sight. You could be having the problem simply because he can't see you and isn''t ready for that yet.

On the outrun depth issue, yes, very often the pressure of you walking toward the sheep will be enough to put the dog out where he needs to be. Be sure to take pressure off by backing up as soon as you see that the dog is responding by going deeper. Very often, once a young dog goes the proper depth, it feels right to them and the problem will be solved. Not always, of course, but often.