BC Boards

So a weird thing happened at the beach yesterday

I threw Piper's rubber Chuck-It ball into the ocean, but I guess I threw it a titch too far so Piper wouldn’t go get it. I was waiting for Tweed, Master Ball Retriever, to come back with his ball so he would go get Piper’s, and a Bald Eagle swooped down and TOOK IT!! It's a $5.00 ball! I was so not impressed! It flew off and sat on a ship mast to try and eat it, then flew further away and sat on a large vent for the nearest building, then dropped it down the vent.

If this wasn't enough, the eagle then added insult to injury by coming back and having a go at snatching Piper out of the water as well! When she is swimming, only her head is visible and she is a pretty tiny dog.

This is the second time an eagle has tried to make off with Piper. One tried to grab her when she was a puppy too.

What do eagles have against my dog??

And does anyone know where I can get this ball?

Fetch%20Ball%20Pink.jpg

The website I found it on is sold out of pink. Piper's accessories need to be pink.

Bastard bird.

RDM

No need for concern. The Flamboyance is bigger and more powerful than any eagle.

No pictures because it was pouring rain. Talk about adding insult to injury. The best photo op I have had in a long time, and no camera with which to document it. Bummer.

RDM

I think the Flamboyance is large enough to save the Woo. :D

Poor Piper. :D No idea where you can find those balls....

Don't worry, you are not alone. A couple time a large bird tried to make off with either of my little fluff-dogs. :D A bird (although I think it was a crow :rolleyes: ) also took one of my best fleece tuggy toys. Arrrgg.

Bear was chased by a seal once. It was quite funny, as Bear has no tail, ergo no rudder, and it took him a looong time to make the turn back to shore. Haven't had a problem with eagles though. Well, once I lost a golf ball to the eagle that lives at the bottom of the 10th hole on the UGC course. Actually gave me a better lie, so thank you, Mr. Eagle!

Ack! You hush now! I thought we were talking about when birds attack dogs. And just for the inferred slander on my beloved, now somewhat deaf and daft Bear, I shall not reveal where you can re-stock the victimized pink Fetch ball. :rolleyes:

LOL!!! Did I just malign Bear?? I admired his mighty hunting skills. Also, I admired how fast you could flee angry environmentalists!

RDM

...I admired his mighty hunting skills. Also, I admired how fast you could flee angry environmentalists!

I am very speedy. Ask Wick how fast I can get up a hill when she is eating poop!

Those balls are available at Fetch in Kerrisdale, I believe. I wish the Canadian Tire balls came in pink. Everything else seems available in pink these days!

I wish the Canadian Tire balls came in pink. Everything else seems available in pink these days!

I don't even like the quality of the ones they have at CT anymore. The last batch of good ones I bought from there I gave to Alaska. The next batch were the hard kind that snap in half randomly.

I did find the softer version at Walmart, and that's the only reason I will shop in that hellhole.

I guess I will have to go visit Fetch! in Kerrisdale, but I think they only sell them in threes. You should hear RDF rant about that!

RDM

In packs of three? How odd. And I guess I got a "good" CT ball, because it's held up well this year. I used to buy the fancy Planet Dog balls, but my dogs aren't great at finding the ball if it didn't land *exactly* where they think it should, and we've lost all of our expensive balls. This is mostly because of the big split-face circling around uselessly, and either getting in the way or having the ball ping off his big noggin into the ether. Have I ever mentioned how bad Lou is at fetch?

Sorry about your ball loss but OMG - that would make me panic, a big bird trying to attack my dog. That would really freak me out. Did it affect Piper or did she just keep swimming?. I panic when i see a dog loose without an owner incase it attacks Holly, i never thought of a bird doing it. :rolleyes:

I don't even like the quality of the ones they have at CT anymore. The last batch of good ones I bought from there I gave to Alaska. The next batch were the hard kind that snap in half randomly.

Funny you should mention that. I was just about to complain that those balls have proven to have a pretty short half life -- we're down to the last couple already. Maybe you don't need to mourn them after all. (But thanks nonetheless -- short-lived balls are still better than no balls, eh?)

No eagles have tried to snatch up my dogs lately, but we do have to contend with gigantic, ravenous sea lions who periodically try to grab a canine snack as we walk along the dock. If you think that's scary, you're right. However, sea lions who develop that habit are not viewed as good community members (they like hominids as snacks too) and are generally encouraged to move on.

Here is one of our local sea lions trying to grab a halibut snack away from it's rightful owner:

15514_200.jpg

Okay. Picture this. Dog is trying very, very hard to bring in a ewe with new lambs- ewe just will NOT follow bleating lambs into the shed, it's pouring rain & freezing, and I'm cursing every breeding for February lambs. (Side note: This was one of the very few times my old dog, Mac, actually tried 'very, very hard,'... he's a very happy sheep-retiree companion now). Eagle swoops in and lands on afterbirth of aforementioned ewe. Ewe decides eagle must be smashed, dog decides eagle must be moved... ewe meets dog where now-airbone eagle was sitting... Oi! Dam ewe finally got penned- all for twin freakin' rams (who both made very nice freezer lambs...)

Anywho, never had an eagle actually come *after* my dog. Sheesh!

It's almost Halloween, and Nick wants to dress up as Woo :rolleyes: He's mastered the head-in-hole look, but the orange is going to take a LOT of work... not to mention the tail-perm...