BC Boards

I think I should clear up some confusion

I know you all know I had a BC named Abby and now I don't seem to have a Abby..... So here is the story on Abby.

4 years ago a friend of mines friends were going through a divorce (BAD ONE) and Abby was stuck in the middle of it. She was the wifes dog. During the divorce Abby somehow got her leg broken. The husband found her and took her to a nasty vet and had it set and casted.. So now my friend get's a hold of me asking if I would take the dog as she was getting put on the back burner and the wife didn't want her and wouldn't leave her with the husband (because he lacks takeing care of anything but himself and his plans for her were to breed her anyway) So I made plans with the wife to come get Abby a couple hours driving for me... Well the husband caught wind that she had given the dog away and "somehow" in the middle of the night Abby's cast got smashed off her leg, she when I got there I found a crying wife saying your not going to want her now with vet bills and all... But of course I took Abby, it's not her fault... So I get her home and take a look at her leg, the cast was on for 2 weeks BUT the vet that put it on did a BAD job, she had the WORST pressure wounds I have ever seen in my life... I took her straight to my vet and he gave me stuff to clean her leg with and told me that we may have to remove the leg... I did it for two days and I honestly could not do it any longer... 3 spots on her leg were literally green and rotting off, you could see bone, tendons the whole 9 yards and the SMELL, I am sure you all have come across something dead before.... That's what that poor dog smelt like.... I took her back to my vet and told him I just couldn't take the smell (I have dealt with a lot of wounds on horses, bad ones too but nothing with that smell) and maybe we should just remove the leg... Well my vet said to just leave her with him and he would decide what to do... Well he kept her for 2 weeks, she went home with him so he could nurse her at night and in the office with him all day and I'll be damed if he didn't save her leg and she used it PERFECT. So thats the first part of Abby's story. I should also add my vet saved that dog free of charge (he was in love with her)

So I took Abby home, she was a great dog, but everytime I drove by the vets she got excited or went in she would run to him and ignor me completly. It was clear to me that she loved him as much as he loved her, her love for me and my DH was not even close to what it was for my vet. My DH was quite attached to her so I sat down with him last fall and talked to him and we agreed that she would be happier with my vet then with us, so we walked into the office last fall with her and told him our desicion... He was so excited to finally have the dog he had been in love with since he saved her and Abby now lives with my vet and is loving every minute of it... She is in the office everyday sitting behind the counter. She comes out from behind the counter to say Hi if she hears me or DH's voice in the office other wise she has a big comfy pillow to sleep on all day and goes home at night of course. I would say she is about as happy as a dog could get now. Although she was getting a tad chubby for a bit there, I gave my vet heck and he smartened up! lol

So yeah, that's the story on Abby and why I no longer have her. And as far as my name goes, I don't know how to change it and I don't feel it really matters that much, she was a speacial dog to me who has one of the strongest wills of about any dog I have ever met!

Tara

Guest WoobiesMom

Awww, that's wonderful!!! And you ARE one of her many Moms who've done what was best to get her to the great place she is now! I still consider Woobie's foster mom one of his Moms. In these days of blended families, etc. even dogs can have more than one Mommy!

Thanks for the story!

Sometimes a difficult decision one has to make in life is to give up a dog one loves, in the best interests of the dog's happiness and well-being. I commend you for your decision; at the same time, I empathize with the heartbreak that must have accompanied that decision. I also understand how dogs can feel about their vets; Annie loves to visit the vet, and the vet has already committed to taking Annie if anything was to ever happen to DW and me.

Thank you to everyone reading this and understanding why I no longer share pictures of Abby or have fequent up-dates on her like I do with Luke and Bree... I just wanted to make sure everyone knew where she is now... I am sure some of you have been wondering why my name is Luke and Abbys mom when I never talk about Abby.

Next time I am in the office I will get a pic of her peaking over the counter to make sure it's me before she comes out to visit for you guys!

Tara