BC Boards

An odd sort of question..

For undies of course! LOL How do I tell what size boys' undies to get for Shadow? I've talked to a few folks about using them after her spay so she can't get at it.... but I've never bought boys' undies and I have NO idea how to tell what size I'll need! Do I need to measure her and see if the pack has measurements? Ohh the trials and tribulations of puppies! :D Her spay is in ~ 2 weeks and I'm becoming a VERY nervous mommy. :rolleyes:

Huh, at first I was like, "Oh man, poor Shadow, why can't she have big girl panties? Some Dora the Explorer or *something*." And then I realized, duh, it's so you can put her tail through the Y front. This is why they pay me the big bucks, folks, you can't slip anything by me.

But now I am wondering, wouldn't the waist line irritate her belly where the stiiches are?

I guess I'm just not seeing the reason for this. :rolleyes:

Ive never heard of anyone using them for a spay. I know that they are used when a dog is in heat but I cant see how they would help after a spay. Where the stitches are would barely even be covered by undies.

Ive never had a dog who was troubled by the stitches, especially a border collie. Delta bounded out of the vets and after a day I gave up trying to keep her calm. They have waaaayyy to much energy to worry about sitting around licking lol.

I would wait and see how she goes first. If she is particularly troubled by them I would look into an E Collar rather than undies.

This is a photo I took of Delta after her spay. You can see where the stitches are and how hard it would be to cover them with undies (I know she isnt lying perfect for this, but the stitches are in front of her legs, so therefore in front of where the waistband would go).

100_0324.jpg

I was also thinking that they wouldn't really cover the area of the incision and that the elastic might rub (and thereby create problems). I just had Rain spayed on Sept. 26 and for the first week and a half she never bothered her stitches at all. It was looking really good, healing nicely but then started to get a bit inflamed and then she wanted to lick it. I took her back to the vets to have it seen and they said it was a minor little infection happening at one of the stitches so they removed the stitch (it was starting to dissolve anyways), applied a little antibiotic cream and no further problems, she's leaving it alone.

OP said, "so she can't get at it." Makes me think that the concern is dog chewing stitches - which they of course may do if and when the stitches itch. I think a "no bite" collar would be ideal - yep, costs more than undies, but much more effective. It is just a "straight" collar, vs. the cone-shaped ones; go through doorways, into crates, dog can even eat or drink with it on - MUCH less hassle, but it prevents their necks from turning towards the rear end. Might not work as well for a front leg issue - but spay, I think would be a great use for it.

diane

WHAT?????????????????????????????????????

MY LORD. Listen, either someone is looking at you as an easy mark, or they misquoted you. The undies will not cover the area. You can put a t-shirt on her- that will cover it better than undies. But, you can also fashion an e-collar out of old radiographs. Go look at some t-shirts, and have them be long enough to go all the way down to her but. If needed you can loosely cinch them with a belt. That will keep the area covered.

Right on Diane, I KNOW she'll chew at them. They don't have the no bite collars here, but they do have e-collars for $175. I'll have ~$6 to my name after the surgery :rolleyes: I suggested the undies idea to my vet and she said we should try it.

They don't have the no bite collars here, but they do have e-collars for $175.

:rolleyes: That's GOT to be a mistake! Maybe someone misread a price label and it was supposed to be $17.50? If for some insane reason they actually cost $175 where you live I bet someone on here would be willing to get one elsewhere and ship it to you and it would be MUCH less expensive. You've got 2 weeks til the surgery right? That should be enough time to receive it. I live in a small town and haven't seen them at the pet store here or I'd offer. My vet also didn't offer any for sale, they said if I found I needed one for Rain I could come back and pick one up (to borrrow I believe they meant). Or, you could try ordering one online yourself. I just looked them up at the Pet Supply House in Guelph Ontario, they range in price from $12.95-$23.95 depending on the size you need. Also, they're on eBay as a "buy it now" item for about $3, plus about $5 shipping, but it's from the US, so hard to say if you'd get it in time. (if you look there, don't look up e-collar, I got no results that way, look up elizabethan collar) I went through eBay.ca, not .com so that I'd only get results from sellers who will ship to Canada. To get it sent quickly enough you'd probably have to have a paypal account so that they get their money right away and will ship immediately.

Oh, I just had another idea. Years ago I had a collie that was always trying to lick/chew at a hot spot so I made her a pair of pants. If you could make something similar that would work. I took an old pair of my husband's track pants from our "rag bag" and cut them into shorts and cut out a tail hole. The waist wasn't tight around the dog because they were mens size (which would be ideal for your purpose), so to hold them on I used the leftover leg material to make "suspenders". I cut a couple of strips, sewed them onto what would become the underside, criss crossed them just below the neck and stitched that, then criss crossed them again behind the neck and stitched that as well. I'd put her back feet into the pant legs, pull them up and pull the straps up between the front legs, pop her head through the criss crossed "collar" section, then use safety pins to pin the ends of the straps to the waist band (over her back of course). It didn't take long to put on and off, but of course every time you need to take her out to potty you'd have to be removing them and then putting them back on. If you could get a collar it would be simpler, this is just a more cost effective alternative. You'd still have to make sure though that it's loose enough fitting that the stitches and incision aren't being rubbed and irritated.

I decided to do one better. PHOTOS!! I just now put a shirt on River to show you how it goes. Front legs through arm holes, neck through neck. Make a small knot in the backend under 1 leg next to tail (see photos). This covers the stitch area but allow free access to tail. Will need to take off shirt for potty breaks. I used one of those thinner 'teen' shirts instead of a thick 'Hanes' type shirt. River never touched her stitches.

Thanks to River for being a good sport.

Photo19.jpg

Photo20.jpg

Photo21.jpg

Excellent! Thank you for the pictures =) Good dog River! hehe

The reason the e-collar is so expensive is the damage deposit part.. yes.. damage deposit on a $15 piece of plastic. $150 is returned after they get it back. *rolls eyes* the feed store can bring me one in for $15, plus I get a 20% discount since Shadow is a puppy. So if I NEED one, they'll get it in. Maybe I should order one in just in case.. hrmmm. =)

Thanks folks! :rolleyes: