BC Boards

Please explain....

Nik

Gracie has this annoying thing going on w/ Pache. She gets in his face and licks and licks and licks until she literally has foam on the bottom of her chin. It's not a mild licking either. It's very fast swipes w/ her tongue and if Pache turns his head she just follows his movements and continues.

I think it tends to annoy me more than Pache so I am trying to stop this behavior. Although since I've started trying to correct her now, I think Pache has taken cue from me and now he will curl his lip sometimes at her for it. He doesn't growl or snap, just curls his lip. If he sees me watching whats going on he will stop immediately. Keep in mind, I HAVE to be the one correcting her behavior and not leave it to him because she is so much smaller that he could really hurt her.

My dogs are always licking each other but it usually doesn't seem to bother the recipient.

Gracie just tends to take it overboard w/ Pache. Does this have any meaning behind it?

I will try to get some video of it and post so you can see what I'm talking about.

How old is Gracie?

It sounds like typical submissive behavior from a young dog to an older one--if that's what it is, she's basically telling him, "Hey, don't worry about me--you're the boss and I want to make sure you know that I know"--which is what she should do if she's a good speaker of "dog".

If she's very young, Pache is unlikely to really hurt her. He may gruff and snap, but until she's half-grown, he's probably safe (though I wouldn't leave them together unsupervised, just to make sure). Older dogs know how to deliver effective, but safe corrections and it's another way they teach dog manners and dogspeak to youngsters. it's fascinating to watch, I think.

Oh no, it's not puppy behavior. Gracie is almost 9 yrs. old compared to Pache who is 2 1/2. She's Lhasa/Chihuahua mix is why she's so much smaller than he. For the most part she's queen bee w/ the exception of Pache's toys he pretty much gives her her way.