BC Boards

Getting the most from a clinic

Hi Expert,

Welcome back. I am going to a 3 day clinic next week with Derek Scrimgeour and I want to know what your opinion is on getting the most from the experience. I'm going to have challenges for me and him since I have one young dog who can't hear and a 4 year old who won't listen. ;-)

I have some specific issues to work on, but I'd like to expand my knowledge beyond my limited problems I'm having today - some of which may be breeding. So, do you have any advice for what to ask for in my sessions and what to watch for in others?

Thanks,

Nancy

p.s. my Gus (1.5) is almost totally deaf now, but works pretty well with signs and is responding to the vibrating collar. However, finding out he's deaf hasn't dealt with his stickyness on flanking from pressure and his "booking out" to a comfort zone. We may be able to progress to fetching work contests - it's too bad, because he looks like an awesome driver developing.

Earl (4) is the Earl Express - "Here's your sheep, granny! Now what? Now what? Now what?)

Hi Expert,

Welcome back. I am going to a 3 day clinic next week with Derek Scrimgeour and I want to know what your opinion is on getting the most from the experience. I'm going to have challenges for me and him since I have one young dog who can't hear and a 4 year old who won't listen. ;-)

I have some specific issues to work on, but I'd like to expand my knowledge beyond my limited problems I'm having today - some of which may be breeding. So, do you have any advice for what to ask for in my sessions and what to watch for in others?

Thanks,

Nancy

p.s. my Gus (1.5) is almost totally deaf now, but works pretty well with signs and is responding to the vibrating collar. However, finding out he's deaf hasn't dealt with his stickyness on flanking from pressure and his "booking out" to a comfort zone. We may be able to progress to fetching work contests - it's too bad, because he looks like an awesome driver developing.

Earl (4) is the Earl Express - "Here's your sheep, granny! Now what? Now what? Now what?)

Don't expect to get everything you want to know about training from one clinic! The best thing you can do is focus on your biggest issue/issues at the time. If you try to spread yourself too thin, you'll end up forgetting everything you learn. Make a list of what you want to work on, so that when you get your turn, you'll be ready and not drawing a blank. Good luck.

Jeanne