BC Boards

Please pray for Stella

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I hope all that happened was that she bonked her head but do you have any idea how shitty that makes me feel to think I wasn't paying attention and let that happen!?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accidents happen...especially with little spitfire puppies. You can't watch every single move they make. You do the best you can and say a little prayer before bed and when you wake up. Don't beat yourself up. It not like you had your nose in a book just letting her wander willy nilly.

Debbie,

Sorry to hear about little Stella's problems. I have a BC with a liver shunt and can share my experience of how she was as a pup. She never has a seizure as a puppy, but if you feed Stella raw or a high protein kibble like EVO then I could see her having a seizure. A blood work up will tell you if something is up with her liver, her liver values will not be normal especially if the situation is so severe that she is seizing. My pup had a tendency to vomit frequently, have periods of lethargy and drank allot of water. Her liver shunt was discovered after she ate a rawhide and almost died due to the high protein.

Other things to consider are a reaction to flea/tick or dewormer meds. Or it might turn out to be an injury, those can happen in a split second when allot of dogs are racing about

Jean

I hope all that happened was that she bonked her head but do you have any idea how shitty that makes me feel to think I wasn't paying attention and let that happen!?

I'd say you'd feel like any one of thousands of parents whose kid has ever ended up in the ER because the parent turned their back for a second and the kid, being a kid, got hurt somehow. Life happens, and you can't plan/protect from everything that might go wrong. What is your saying about regrets?

I sure hope that is all that is wrong with little Stella!

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Thanks Jean. Stella eats Canidae so it's not particularly high protein. She has had several rawhides and never had an issue (and did not have one today at all). I am not a huge fan of rawhides but Stella is a whiner and I have some little puppy ones that keep her quiet yet aren't too huge.

Stella DOES drink a lot of water but I attributed that to her having a bladder infection. Since she has been on antibiotics for that, her water intake has been far less and I would say probably normal. The first time she threw up was yesterday which is not all that odd while taking antibiotics, IMO. Stella has never been lethargic in my time having her, even today right up until the time she "went weird" on me. So none of those things are really consistent.

Another thing to consider here, and I told the vet, is that she got herd 3rd puppy shot just last night, less than 24 hrs before her seizures started. Whether or not this is a contributing or causative factor I am not sure we will ever know. We can assume it's a reaction but I just don't have any idea.

The vet did not mention anything abnormal in her bloodwork though I am not sure if he actually has the capability to get the results tonight or not.

Oh No!! Although we have not always got along the best and seem to have gotten off to a rough start, I hope that your beautiful

blue eyed baby Stella turns out to be ok. Seizures are no fun. Sending healing vibes.

P.S.

It's not your fault. Honestly you are one of the best and most giving dog owners on this board!!!!!

(I've been reading all you have done for your BC's and BCs everywhere). I was just a grouch to you on the other board and again, I'm sorry.

Debbie,

One thing that keeps going thru my mind is she still has a bladder infection even after taking her last pill. Have you ever given a dog the same meds before? Do they look familiar? I can't help but wonder if there might have been a mix up in the 'pharmacy' or if she might have developed some kind of weird allergic reaction to the meds that took awhile to (for lack of a better word) blossom.

I'm so sorry Debbie. I sure hope that Stella gets better. So if it's that will she get better? Let me know when you hear anything.

My heart sank when i read your topic line, poor little Stella. I am praying she is going to be ok Debbie. We all love that little girl.

Keep us posted and don't beat yourself up if she did get a knock, she couldn't have a better life than with you and your gang, things happen.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

The news this morning is hopeful. Stella is waking up from her sedation and appears to be fine at this point. She will have to stay at the vet for a couple of days to see if any of this will happen again but I am going to see her in a few minutes.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers! I think maybe the board mojo has done it again.

Well, if it is a liver shunt...I am all too familiar with protocal. Debbie, hugs to Stella and you too!

If it turns out to be a shunt -get her on a vegetarian diet with some supplements to stabilize her as meat protien is the WORST thing for these dogs. Yorkie rescue deals with this issue extensively and can offer their expertise on the problem. They have dealt with MSU to formulate the best course of action for dogs with possible liver shunts/border line cases.

I am currently working with them due to Duke's liver issues.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Well I just got back from visiting Stella and she seems completely normal--man did she want to get out and play! She even gobbled up her breakfast they fed her. The vet really thinks now that she must have gotten pummeled by one of my dogs as almost any other diagnosis would have her still acting pretty sickly. I feel just awful that I let this happen but I am glad that's all it seems to be. He's keeping her for now but may send her home later in the day.

Debbie, that's wonderful news! I am so glad for litlle Stella!!!! I cannot even imagine what a horrible night YOU had... Glad everything seems to be back to normal and the little red princess can rejoin her kingdom of B&W boys :rolleyes:

Well I just got back from visiting Stella and she seems completely normal--man did she want to get out and play! She even gobbled up her breakfast they fed her. The vet really thinks now that she must have gotten pummeled by one of my dogs as almost any other diagnosis would have her still acting pretty sickly. I feel just awful that I let this happen but I am glad that's all it seems to be. He's keeping her for now but may send her home later in the day.

Yay, that is great news, i was kinda hoping it was a bump that caused this and that she would make a full recovery. Much better than anything really serious. Don't let it put you off letting them have their fun, you really can't watch them every second. It was hopefully just a one off if that is what happened, just one of those things. I have trodden on Holly before and she has not looked where she was going on many occasion and bumped into something whilst having her zoomies time. The main thing is she is doing well and she might be home today, great!! :rolleyes:

Oh man, I just read this with my heart in my throat and here at the end she's eating breakfast. Oh yay.

I hope she continues to improve. Poor baby girl.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I guess I could have not let a 9lb dog run with 30-50lb dogs but gosh her attitude is such that she thinks she is bigger than all of them. :rolleyes:

I guess I could have not let a 9lb dog run with 30-50lb dogs but gosh her attitude is such that she thinks she is bigger than all of them. :rolleyes:

That's how they learn to be good well rounded dogs. Playing together, learning the boundaries, learning to read each other's body language. If you isolated her you'd just get a stupid dog.

Stop beating yourself up.

I'd be inclined to trust the vet on this. Seizure from a bump is pretty distinctive - my vet thinks that's what brought on Kris's episode, though he ended up unable to stop the seizures as most dogs could. His was just the same way - out one day, barfy the next, then early the next day started seizing.

The only way to stop a Border Collie from running into stuff headlong is don't let them run! So, in a pack as big as yours (and mine), stuff happens. Every day, several times a day, Ted, Gus, and Eddie go hurtling in puppy races around the three acre fenced area around my house and home buildings and I can't watch their every move. Heck, even if I watched them attentively they are too fast to follow with the eye! :rolleyes:

Here's good wishes that the little girl has no further repercussions from the incident, and has no inclination to repeat it! Bad puppy, scaring mama like that! You should be punished with big sloppy kisses for that!

Oh thank god she seems to be ok. I love seeing her pics and hearing of the gangs antics.

You did nothing wrong but let your puppy be a puppy. If it wasn't one of the dogs running her over she would have or will into a tree, rock, car, etc... you name it. She will be fine and will keep on playing like a crazy puppy.

So glad to hear that Stella feels better today! We'll be keeping our fingers and paws crosssed that she continues to improve and we see no more seizures.

And I want to second Maralynn's comment about how you must feel like any parent sitting in an emergency room with an injured child. Things DO happen. I bet if you took a poll, most of us parents have been there, done that, and we are still good parents.

So here's my bad parenting story, maybe it'll make you feel better...

The Taz pulled herself up for the first time using a chair her sister, who was 9 at the time, was sittting in.

I saw it happen and said, "Honey, whatever you do, don't stand up."

So, she immediately stood up.

First, the Taz hit the deck with the back of her head. Then the chair fell on her forehead.

She looked like I'd put her head in a vice, bruises all over. Imagine the quizzing I got in the casualty ward.

$% happens.