BC Boards

Fynne needs a home

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys! Good news! Hubby and I have both felt terrible ever since we dropped Fynne off so we are going to bring her home!

We have been talking about this for days and trying to come up with some workable solution. Hubby is going to provide me with "doggy support" until she gets old and passes on so that I can afford to keep her with me and Boy. He'll pay for a fence so that she has a fenced in yard and he will pay for kenneling if I have to board her overnight for any reason and of course he'll pay for her food and vet bills and stuff like that.

Hubby is also more than welcome to visit her and Boy of course whenever he wants to, and I'll send pictures and videos and keep him updated. He loves the dogs just as much as I do, and Fynne is most definately daddy's little girl!

I can't fit two big dogs and a cat in the car all the way to Michigan so he will take his other week off from work and we will go up together. This arrangement will make both of us feel a whole lot better and Boy and Fynne will remain best buddies. I've been reminded these past several days why we got him a playmate in the first place. The two of them are perfect for eachother. I really couldn't have picked a better match for him if I tried.

It sure has been a tough week but I am so thankful that we have come up with a solution that makes all of us happy! I just wanted to let you know, and thank you all for being there! My Finnie-Winnie will be home soon!

Miz

Wow, its just like old times isn't it? Big emergency, everyone rushes to help, lots of attention and sympathy and then POOF its okay, no real problem! Its a time warp.

Sara

Sara,

My wife and I are getting a divorce. So I would appreciate a little consideration.

We gave up Fynne because of potential problems in me caring for her on my own in future. But now we realize that Boyden misses his playing partner very much and that its possible for my wife to keep her in the new location and for me to pay for Fynne. It only costs about $50 a month to maintain a dog. So we are hoping that Debbie, being the new owner, would consider our request to have her back. That's all there is to it.

regards,

Mr Tiki

If you don't know Miztiki and Fynne personally, please consider whether you have anything constructive to say before posting to this thread. ISTM there is enough heartbreak shaping up here without posting speculations that can do little more than hurt people's feelings to no purpose. In fact, it might be just as well if those directly involved took it private.

Eileen,

Not to be harsh, but I know WAY more than I want to about the personal lives of these people and their dogs, and it's not because I made a special effort to find out about them, believe me. You know quite well who initiated this thread and dozens more like them. The tone was set; responses were invited. As with other topics, you will get a range of replies. In my opinion, it's perfectly appropriate that people have expressed their opinions on what should be done about this dog.

A

Eileen,

Not to be harsh, but I know WAY more than I want to about the personal lives of these people and their dogs, and it's not because I made a special effort to find out about them, believe me. You know quite well who initiated this thread and dozens more like them. The tone was set; responses were invited. As with other topics, you will get a range of replies. In my opinion, it's perfectly appropriate that people have expressed their opinions on what should be done about this dog.

A

Based on what? Have you actually met any of the parties involved? Have you observed their dog handling skills?

regards,

Mr Tiki

Andrea,

I disagree. IMO you ARE being harsh, and over a matter of nothing more than personal style.

If the knowledge you speak of came from reading posts, and not from first-hand experience, you are using the word "know" in a way that I would not expect a lawyer to do. What any of us armchair detectives and diagnosticians "know" is way too limited to enable us to post constructively in a situation like this, IMO. We do not "know" as much as either Miztiki or Debbie. Neither of them has asked for advice as to what should be done about this dog. Maybe that fact, and the general, intractable awfulness of the situation, should deter posters from offering pointless opinions. This situation is different from the usual ones presented on the Boards, where the dog owner is free to take or ignore the advice given, and where the advisers often know more than the advisee. Opinions can serve a purpose there; they don't here. Nor could opinions conceivably benefit bystanders in any way I can see. The only lesson bystanders are likely to take away from this thread is that if you sign relinquishment papers to a rescuer, however sympathetic that rescuer may appear at the time, you are entirely at his or her mercy as to whether you can get your dog back if your circumstances change or you change your mind. There are non-lawyers who might not have imagined that would be so, and it is well for them to know that it is.

Oh, and also they probably wouldn't have known that the rescuer might feel it was appropriate to post a disparagement of the relinquisher and her dog-training skills on a public bulletin board. *I* didn't even know that.

Well, you're the moderator Eileen, so you certainly have the right to decide what can or cannot be posted. However, I do find your position somewhat inconsistent, a point you address but do not, to my mind, dispose of persuasively.

Of course I don't actually*know* anything about these people, except what they've posted here over the years. Nor do I actually *know* anything about most of the other people on these Boards. Nonetheless, when you post all sorts of absurdly personal things about yourselves and then solicit input, you can't expect people not to respond taking that *information* into account.

You will also note that I did not actually express an opinion myself. I simply said others were entitled to do so, given the situation.

A

Nonetheless, when you post all sorts of absurdly personal things about yourselves and then solicit input, you can't expect people not to respond taking that *information* into account.

You can get into personal things if you are interested in throwing flamers.

The subject is Fynne and what to do about her and not our personal lives.

wow Im really confused. :rolleyes:

Smilieyzookie,

My wife is in a terrible state right now and is crying her heart out saying I want my baby back and why is she doing that to us.

She refused to visit this thread because of the hurtful remarks.

Debbie's post implied that we have mishandled Fynne. The robot remark is most hurtful. I am trying desperately to dig out video clips to show otherwise.

The only lesson bystanders are likely to take away from this thread is that if you sign relinquishment papers to a rescuer, however sympathetic that rescuer may appear at the time, you are entirely at his or her mercy as to whether you can get your dog back if your circumstances change or you change your mind. There are non-lawyers who might not have imagined that would be so, and it is well for them to know that it is.

I don't know about Debbie, but our owner surrender form was drafted by our legal counsel. It's a binding document, and once the dog is in our possession, the owner no longer has claim to the animal. In effect, signing the form waives any claim they might have. IMO, Eileen, the use of the phrase "however sympathetic the rescuer may seem" and "entirely at their mercy" is leading language with a significant subtext given the content of the thread. But that's JMO, of course. Sympathy is an emotional concern; a legally binding document is something else entirely.

You are correct, however, that it is useful for the general public to know that once you've signed the dog over to rescue "changing ones mind" is a moot point. Sympathy and mercy aside, when one chooses to give the dog away, one has made that choice. If one gives the dog to someone off Craigslist, or a neighbor, or the local pound, one has given away that dog. When one signs a document waiving claim to send dog, one is up the proverbial creek. The only reason to fight for the dog back in a public venue is to garner sympathy - IMO, of course, again - and if one were really concerned about the return of said dog, one would conceivably deal directly with the new owner, i.e., the rescue, and not with an audience of people who do not, as you suggest, "know" anything.

Oh, and also they probably wouldn't have known that the rescuer might feel it was appropriate to post a disparagement of the relinquisher and her dog-training skills on a public bulletin board. *I* didn't even know that.

This is most definitely a newbie rescuer error. I don't defend it. Nor do I defend the public pleadings and demand for attention to the matter with, again, an audience. Both sides here need to stop publicly airing one another's business, as well as their own. IMO, once again.

$20.00 language aside, it boils down to this - the owners of the dog surrendered it to rescue. The rescue does not have to return the dog if it doesn't want to. No one coerced anyone into surrendering the animal, and the owners put themselves in a position whereby they have waived claim to the animal, all personalities and egos aside. You make a choice when you give a dog away - if you have another option, you should explore it before you elect to waive your claim to the animal by relinquishing ownership of said animal.

RDM

I think the question is what is best for Fynne. Unfortunately, life brings heartache. MizTiki has a lot going on and I don't think bringing Fynne back because it would make Boy happy is the right answer. Fynne has a chance to be adopted by someone who can actually do many things with her while MizTiki is limited on her activities.

I think it is more fair to allow Fynne to be adopted out.

I know some may feel that Debbie's comments on Fynne were wrong to be posted. If that is the case then no rescuer should be able to say how the dog behaves on a message board. The comments may have been hurtful to MizTiki but if that is how Fynne acts then that is how she acts. Is it only wrong because Miz and Mr. Tiki are board members? I don't see people questioning when the person/dog is not known to the boards.

Personally, the comments made regarding Bindi/Dixie are worse (sort of) than what Debbie has said but if they are truthful (I am sure they are) then there is nothing wrong with it being posted.

Personal feelings need to be set aside. People on these boards need to know how a dog acts/behaves, etc... since it is people on these boards that have helped and will continue to help find homes for rescues whether the rescue belonged to this board or not.

EDIT to add - if you read the posts Miztiki was asking on a public forum for information on how Fynne was doing.

EDIT to add - if you read the posts Miztiki was asking on a public forum for information on how Fynne was doing.

Sorry, but a lot more was said than was necessary or appropriate to answer a question about how Fynne was doing. I'm not a rescue (though I rescue and place informally from time to time as most serious dog people probably do), but if I had a dog from you and you asked me on the Boards how he was doing, and I felt the need to comment adversely on your dog-training or dog-reading skills in answering, I would answer you privately. I think that a rescuer should have the professionalism to do likewise. (If you don't see how the question "How is Fynne doing?" could have been accurately and fully answered on the Boards without the jabs at Miztiki, please let me know and I will illustrate it for you.)

I don't agree that the comments by those involved in the rescue of Bindi/Dixie were "worse" than this. They focused on the dog, not on pointless jabs at the dog's prior owner. (Of course, if you mean LJS1993's comments, then I agree they were indefensible, which is why I didn't step in when people confronted him on them, but he was not involved in the rescue and did not know Bindi or Bindi's owner.

RDM, thanks for lending emphasis to the point that I said most readers would take away from this thread.

Amen to the above (closing this thread). May cooler heads prevail and I pray the situation works out in the best interest of Fynne. It is a heartbreaking deal - there is no right or wrong IMO but the health and well being of the dog needs to be first and foremost the main concern here.

Good luck and God Bless.