the name.

So I was wondering where people get the ideas for these names... and

the song "Desperado" just happened to be playing in the background and

I though of a fun game.

1. Name a fictional kennel, like "Desperado"

2. List any number of show quality dog names that are inspired by the

kennel name.

If you pick a song, then you can use lyrics, or musicians, or concert

venues.... if you pick a movie, you can use dialogue or actors, etc.

Here's my list for "Desperado Kennels" ... feel free to try the same

or share your own method of getting the perfect show dog name.

Desperado Come To Your Senses

Desperado Out Ridin' Fences

Desperado Got Your Reasons

Desperado Queen Of Diamonds

Desperado Beat You If She's Able

Desperado Queen of Hearts

Desperado Always Your Best Bet

Desperado Some Fine Things

Desperado One That You Can't Get

Desperado Drivin' You Home

Desperado Some People Talkin'

Desperado Feet Get Cold

Desperado Sky Won't Snow

Desperado Sun Won't Shine

Desperado Hard To Tell

Desperado Highs and Lows

Desperado Down From Your Fences

Desperado Open The Gate

Desperado May Be Rainin'

Desperado Rainbow Above You

Desperado Let Somebody Love You

Desperado Before It's Too Late

Kind of funny how many good show dog names you can get out of a song, huh?

Enjoy!

-- Christopher

I was sent this from an AKC board.

A memember on our board was upset because of getting into a "discusion" with them about breeding some time ago. So I went to the site to join cuz I love a good "debate" (in case y'all hadn't noticed!) but they wouldn't let me post till I was aproved. Well, by then, it was late and so I never returned to the board. However, they do still send the silliest e-mails to me! I read, laugh, delete. Most times, just delete. But this one was a slam against ABCA in a way so I had to share!

I guess they don't understand that the names we pick have to be names easly called out in the field. Not repeated by a pompous idiot with a mic.!

Whatever may be up with this guy, he has a good taste in music :rolleyes:

I can't believe some of the names people give their show dogs. Most of them would make me die of embarrassment at any kind of show.

Originally posted by sandra s.:

....Most of them would make me die of embarrassment at any kind of show.

No kidding! Same with race horses too - they get the strangest of names!

Hmmm, I will have to think of what my Kennel would be called. Something that could have really wacky dog names come out of it for sure! :rolleyes:

Hehe, I shouldn't comment about easy names, mine never are. It's been a habit, a vice really, that I adore making up really 'out-there' names for animals. I once had two gerbils, one named Post-It and the other Catnip. My cat is Simba's Courage (Simba), Golden Retriever is Renegade's Fury (a play off of Simba's name), and my horse is From the Ashes (Ashes). I'd love to name my BC "Our Companion Diocese" (Diocese/Dio/Cessy) after a phrase in our church bulletin. =P Guess the habit stuck from my AKC days.

I think the AKC folks should use registered names that more reflect the kind of dogs they're putting up:

Tea & Crumpets Miss Polly Prissypants

Border Boutique's Blow-dried Big-Boned Billy

You get the picture...

Cookie is easy to say but, you cant shorten it.
Sure you can:

Cook

or you can lengthen it:

CookBook

The Cooksta

The CookMeister

QuickCook

Then, there's always adding a middle name:

Cookie Leavetheflippincatsalone

Buzz's full name is Buzz Dammitquitthatnow Wolfe.

Ruth n the BC3

Either Christopher can't count, or the AKC has changed the rule since my day about limiting names to no more than 25 letters. :rolleyes:

I remember how hard it was to come up with names under 14 letters, because my kennel name, Magic Dragon, took up 11 of them. Desperado is almost as bad with 9.

I knew a lady who always named her chows after homilies, and then the co-owner would come up with a matching call name. For example, "_____'s A Rolling Stone," was called Mick. The dog I co-owned with her was unfortunately named "A Fool and His Money," for which I never managed to come up with anything remotely clever. :D

This is a slight diversion from the actual intent of this thread (sorry), but here it goes.

The person you're referring to was kicked off of these very boards for confrontational and extremely rude behavior. This behavior is consistent and has gotten him kicked off of other boards besides. He continues this behavior on any venue that will have him.

He claims to be a bc expert yet wonders what the fascination is in watching bc's move trained sheep around a field, as in the International.

@@

So there you have at least a portion of the mentality who muses about registered names, but then what do you expect from a bc expert and a future breeder.

BTW, last I heard, he got a male pup from a "working" breeder and a female pup from a show breeder----stand back and look out. He's going to show all of you working dog people the way it should be done.

So there you have it. Personally, I wouldn't give him any space here. JMO

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

OOOH. I am so sorry. Open mouth. Insert Foot. Seriously, I apologize, but this jerk has been turning up on every bc related board you can think of, so it was the first conclusion I leapt to. Bad. It used to be you open your mouth before you think. Now it's typing. Neither is a good thing.

Going to my crate now.

Eileen, maybe you could remove my post? Thank you.

Vicki, now why should Eileen remove your post? C'mon, we've all done this! No fair if you getta break! LOL

Not to worry!

Since Vicki got it kinda mixed up, I will explain better. Person on THIS board was also on an AKC board. She got into with the AKC people about breeding only for working ability. Period! They apparently ganged up on her and she came back on here to vent her frustration at them. So then I went to the site she was on to raise a little hell with them, and in joining I gave my e-mail addy. I had to wait to be approved and it was late so I ended up never going to the site. However, every so often they send some e-mail to me. Some of it is just stupid. Some silly. Some it boggles the mind what they think! This was just a really silly e-mail and I thought the board might get a kick out of the mind-set of these people!

Okay, Vicki, it's been two hours, you may come out of crate now! :rolleyes:

I like to have fun with names I would need to either hit the lottery or live to be 200 to employ all the names I've come up with. How I come up with them is they just pop into my head.

Since I dont mess with AKC you'll never see them in a registry but thats just fine with me. They're for my entertainment anyway. Some of the names Ive come up with are:

Springloaded: Boing!

Jump for Joy: Bounce

Ready to Explode: Boom or Bang

and the list goes on

I like to have fun with names I would need to either hit the lottery or live to be 200 to employ all the names I've come up with. How I come up with them is they just pop into my head.

Since I dont mess with AKC you'll never see them in a registry but thats just fine with me. They're for my entertainment anyway. Some of the names Ive come up with are:

Springloaded: Boing!

Jump for Joy: Bounce

Ready to Explode: Boom or Bang

and the list goes on

Vicki, I too love the, "I'll go to my crate now"! Made me laugh out loud! something we all prob should do now and then! Has anyone ever actually, gone in your dog's crate and watched their expression???

Names, OMG... while we were waiting to bring our boy home in Oct. 2004, we had a list from here to the stars! Already knowing BC's, most of them reflected their blitz type movement. I also study and love Native American Spirituality so I came up with some really cool "reflective" names, but hubby didn't like them!

So, we were in a dilemma.... however, when the breeder called and told me "the pups were born this morning" September 11th! BAM... that was it. I walked into the living room and said to hubby..."how 'bout "Phoenix"! the rising from the ashes...and good things can still happen on 9-11... etc. We both instantly liked the name. I researched the legend/myth of the Phoenix, and I was in tears reading some of the legends from very many cultures. I had no idea that soooo many different parts of the world have stories and legends of the Phoenix.

My favorite... I think Italian (not sure), was the bridal legend , of the Phoenix, symbolizing, "inseperable friendship"! That was IT! WOW...so that is why Phoenix has his name. And he lives up to it too. He is fast like the Phoenix bird, and definately inseperable!, which is fine with me! I do shorten it to Nix, for a quick call, though.

Dixie Girl... I love the idea of your post.. let me do some "music searching". Moody Blues come to mind... or the song "Freebird" (brain cramp for singer/s???). Or maybe Pink Floyd!

Hmmmmm... boy am I aging myself.

I will be back on this one!