BC Boards

One more question

I have heard a rumor that Border Collie bitches are snippy. It was suggested that one would not be a good addition for me since we have so many dogs already. We currently have 2 bitches and 3 males and no problems in the house. Any opinions? I know this is a rather broad statement. But, what gives the girls?

Yes, they can be grumpy - personal space issues pretty much. Like, don't sniff me you clod. Like most other things you really can't know ahead of time. I also know Border Collie bitches that act like they are constantly auditioning for the role of Walmart greeter. I had two like that.

Again, if something like that really matters and you are set on a female, an adult might be a better bet. A rescue, or alternately, an adult that has washed out of a working situation. That's another solution we haven't mentioned yet. They don't come along frequently, but they are out there. I know of one right now - but she is not good with other females. So, you see, you'd be trading an unknown for a known factor. :rolleyes:

This is just one recent thread discussing gender, though more specifically males. If you read through the thread,you'll see some discussion of both genders though. It's here.

[edited] You already have what amounts to a pack at your house. I think the best thing you can do is assess what sort of pack order you already have, including all the personalities, and then decide whether a male or female would fit better with the existing pack dynamic. Generalizations don't always apply, but at least in my pack the females (six, three spayed) are indeed bitchier and the males (three, two of whom are neutered) are more laid back. That said, I think while the females snark a lot of the time, the males put up with a lot, but when they are pushed too far, watch out! I don't think a single male is above any of the females in the pack order, and at least three of the females (all of whom are spayed), spend a lot of time snarking and trying to out-top one another. Managing that can be a PIA. [i should note that the two older bitches knocked heads from the moment they were brought together; and the third started joining in about the time she was 4 or so, probably trying to "climb the ladder" past the two existing--and headbutting--older top bitches.] Not terribly helpful I know, but you know your pack best and so probably once you think on it, you'll know what gender is likely to be the best fit.

J.

Are yours really bitches? Or are they spayed females?

I have only one dog, so my experience is in the neighborhood. Fergie is a spayed female bc-mix pet; we live in a neighborhood with pet dogs. I'll trust any leashed dog as far as its owner does. I'll trust Fergie's instincts about any male or spayed female. But I find another street if I see an unleashed bitch. We've been attacked twice. Luckily DH was with us so Fergie and I ran and he fended off the bitch. Different one each time.

Are you asking me Nancy? Yes, until recently I had four intact bitches and two spayed females. Now I've got three and three. Intact or not doesn't seem to change the bitchy behavior, since the long-standing bitch "fights" have always been between the two older spayed females. The third one that started to climb the ladder was intact when she started in with the bitchiness, and nothing changed after she was spayed. The older intact female is pretty much a shrinking violet and the other two intact females are quite young yet, although I alread see signs that one might become a troublemaker in the bitch department as well. The problem isn't whether the animal is intact or not but who wants to (and is trying) to be dominant over the others. The two older spayed females are the top dogs. One was top dog in my house and the other was top in hers, and when I got the second one, they could never resolve who would then be top in my house (i.e., two dominant females were brought together and have never resolved their issues with one another). It has nothing to do with intact or spayed.

Interestingly, my bitches (and the spayed females--it's just as easy to use the terms interchangeably since nearly all exhibit the same bitch behavior), while they will snark and be bitchy with one another (pack dynamic), don't bother anyone else. Just like at sheepdog trials, where intact bitches and dogs all mingle without fights of any sort, so I don't think being an intact bitch in and of itself means trouble, even though you've apparently had a different experience. Still I'd wonder if it was the fact they were bitches that was the problem, or if it was just the individual dogs' personalities and they just happened to be bitches.

J.

We have 7 females, 1 is altered; we have occasional tifts. For the most part they are okay with one another.

Like people, certain personalities don't get along; this friction can occur within or across genders. I've seen males that liek to posture to every other male; I've seen males that are "happy-go-lucky", I've seen females that are everyone's friend, and females that must always be "top-dog" no matter what.

Mark

We have 7 females, 1 is altered; we have occasional tifts. For the most part they are okay with one another.

Like people, certain personalities don't get along; this friction can occur within or across genders. I've seen males that liek to posture to every other male; I've seen males that are "happy-go-lucky", I've seen females that are everyone's friend, and females that must always be "top-dog" no matter what.

Mark

I am glad you shared this Mark. You put something similar a while back on another poster's thread when at the time i only though i wanted a girl next time around. I have however changed my views now after everyones comments etc on my recent thread.

I am now open to either sex, whichever one we find that fits with us first, regardless of sex. Therefore it still may be a girl so it's nice to know you have so many and they get on ok. We are looking at temperaments of parents and grandparents for our main choice next time.