BC Boards

Drama at the Dog Park!

Guest WoobiesMom

Denise- I'm sorry, I did mean rednecks, I didn't mean Indiana. I'm from St. Louis, we use hoosier differently than apparently everyone else on the planet. I didn't mean to offend.

I'm from St. Louis too. I had to retrain my brain to use different lingo. St. Louis has it's own!

I don't like dog parks and I don't think my dogs would either but I know Woobie loves other dogs so I'm sure that's why you keep going. Hurry up and get your new dog already :rolleyes: I don't mean really hurry but since I'm from St. Louis forgive me! :D

Kristen

Denise- I'm sorry, I did mean rednecks, I didn't mean Indiana. I'm from St. Louis, we use hoosier differently than apparently everyone else on the planet. I didn't mean to offend.

Aww I appreciate the apology, I was just trying to pull your leg though. I was wondering if hoosiers have a reputation elsewhere that I didn't know about, though admittedly there are some pretty strange ones. No offence really.

regarding the original topic, I always remember the case where a girl was raped and murdered with everyone watching and no one responding. I never want to be that person, so at times I take action when I shouldn't. so be it. I have annoyed people pretty severely.

--Denise

Bcnewe- I know- I did too when I moved down here! Which is torture because hoosier is such a perfect word. I had no idea that it was an idiom only used by people within like a 70 mile radius. It seems so strange. I've given up on not using hoosier lately though. I have developed sort of an "oh you will learn what this word means" attitude towards Southwest Missouri. Pretty soon, it will be like kudzu. They won't be able to stop it. :rolleyes:

Denise- no apparently the two usages are completely unrelated, and the actual etymology of the word is unknown. A friend told me about that study- I had a domestic brawl outside of my first apartment building and my roomate and I called the police- my friend at work said he was surprised that we had called (actually my roomate tried to physically block the guy from leaving the hallway while I was on the phone, which was not a good idea, I didn't even know she had left the apartment) becasue of that study. Apparently everyone who witnessed the scene thought someone else had called the police already- can you imagine not doing anything? I never want to be that person either.

You mean it's not even as far as southwest MO? I really thought it was more like MO talk. Not just St. Louis. The people here in AR really look at me funny no matter what I say. I talk way to fast for them! Sometimes I hear myself slowing down. I run back to St. Louis so I can retain my accent!

I recently saw a Discovery channel special and found out the true meaning of Redneck. When it was first used it was a good term. It was in Kentucky (I think) when the coal miners were trying to unionize and the coal companies were fighting them. The coal miners would tie a red bandana around their neck to let others know they were pro union. Not the unions of today but one that would keep people alive and being paid where they could afford to feed their families. I think it was called the history of real hillbillies. Or something like that. Maybe it should have been called the history of true hoosiers? :rolleyes: No that would have to come from St. Louis with a disclaimer for Indiania!

K~

When I first moved back to Prescott I was renting a house with a big front porch. At the time, I had my Borzoi, who by the way, was a biter. He especially didn't care for strange men. One night I heard a commotion outside. I went onto the front porch with Sly and saw a woman down on the ground, a man standing over her kicking her. I yelled out to her, do you need help? and she got up and ran onto my front porch. Her blouse was torn nearly completely off of her. She spoke hardly any English. As I was speaking to the 911 operator I was able to comprehend that the man beating her was her bf. I loaned her a sweatshirt to wear while we waited for the police to show up.

While the first policeman spoke to us to make out a report, his partner was able to apprehend the guy and stuck him in the back of the patrol car. I was pretty disgusted by the attitude of the policeman who was taking the report. He remarked that he didn't see any bruises on her (doesn't it take a few hours for a bruise to show up?) and acted like he doubted her story, until I showed him her shredded blouse and explained, rather vehemently, that when I first saw them she was on the ground and he was kicking her. In the mean time the guy was having a fit in the back of the patrol car, trying to kick out the window, so the officer assured her that he wouldn't be released for at least a day or two. I recall feeling apprehensive that the guy would come back for retribution against me. He was clearly unhinged!

A few days later she came over to return my sweatshirt and thank me for my help. She told me she had gotten a restraining order against him. About 3 weeks after that I saw them together again :rolleyes: It was kind of weird that my initial reaction to seeing them together was a sense of betrayal. Like, I had gone out on a limb for her and now she had gotten back together with the creep. Of course, with perspective I understood the dynamics that may trap a person into staying in a situation of that sort.

I recently saw a Discovery channel special and found out the true meaning of Redneck. When it was first used it was a good term. It was in Kentucky (I think) when the coal miners were trying to unionize and the coal companies were fighting them. The coal miners would tie a red bandana around their neck to let others know they were pro union. Not the unions of today but one that would keep people alive and being paid where they could afford to feed their families. I think it was called the history of real hillbillies. Or something like that.

Either Kentucky or West Virginia.

Guest WoobiesMom
I don't like dog parks and I don't think my dogs would either but I know Woobie loves other dogs so I'm sure that's why you keep going. Hurry up and get your new dog already :rolleyes: I don't mean really hurry but since I'm from St. Louis forgive me! :D

Kristen

I'm trying!! I'm trying!! :D He does love it so. It's just that occassional thing and certain days and times that can be dicey, but he and I have made such good friends there, we'll keep going with one big eye out for trouble.

Nancy I had a sort of similar experience with a co-worker who was from Russia, she was only 20 at the time, very bright, very pretty, but she married this waste of a human being. Long story short- in the parking lot of our workplace her husband had battered her badly enough that she needed to go to the emergency room. Her face was gashed, it was terrible. I talked her into staying at my apartment, which was a bit awkward, we didn't really know each other well. The most chilling thing she said to me about the whole incident was that she knew going back to him was basically giving him permission to beat and kill her, but she knew she would go back eventually, because she loved the good parts of their relationship so well. I had no words, I have never felt so utterly useless in my life. Although, last I heard of her she was divorced and considering medical school. So maybe yours has a happy ending too. I hope so.

On a lighter note- hillbilly isn't really an insult down here, it's more a term of endearment, culturally speaking. Hick is an insult. Hoosier is sort of hit and miss here- the only reason people tend to be familiar with it is because we have quite a few colleges around, so my area has a lot of S. Louis imports, including me. It's definitely not native though, and I don't think they use it in Kansas City, but I might be wrong. People use the phrase "white trash" down here where we would use hoosier, which really bothers me. I don't like what it implies. Maybe that's just me. I'm told I speak way too quickly a lot, too. When my husband lived in Fayetteville for grad school I was asked to repeat restaurant orders like three times every time we went out to eat. He speaks more slowly, but I refuse to be one of those couples where the man orders for the woman. Yucko.

Hoosier doesn't have any racial implications, which I like. White trash to me seems derogatory not only to the subject of the insult, but to everyone else too. Like it's somehow shocking when white people are trashy, but you expect it from others. I just don't like it. But yeah, if you referred to yourself as a hoosier in St. Louis people would probably not immediately assume you were from Indiana.

what kind of ass kicks a dog in a dog park? and what kind of ass gets in a smaller persons face for protecting her dog from said ass?

The kind of ass that doesn't have the goobers to be a REAL man. He has to make himself feel superior by picking on those smaller than he is.

If it were me, I would have been right there w/ ya WM. It's funny because girls/ladies can intimidate me so much more easily than men ever could. I've been known to stand up to quite a few of those big burly types even knowing that one good lick could probably do some serious damage to me. The adrenaline kicks in though and it just furiates me when I see a man taking his frustrations out on a woman. I never really even think about the danger in a situation like that at the time.

I say good for you for taking a stand for this poor girl. Apparently she had the good sense to get up and leave when she saw him to keep the pot from being stirred. Too bad she didn't make it out in time though. Maybe w/ the police being called in he will think twice before he decides to get it someone elses face. Too bad he didn't try it w/ someone who was just a little tougher than he.

Guest WoobiesMom

Thanks Nik. I think I was so quick to jump in because the park was full of people and I knew at a minimum there would be witnesses to any assault on my person that might occur. I also sort of thought in the back of my mind that I remembered a couple things from self-defense class (tiger paw!) and could probably take a punch better than her since I have at least 4 inches and maybe 50 pounds on her! LOL :rolleyes: If it had just been the 3 of us, my reaction would have been really different! But I'll now carry my pepper spray and cell phone with me in there, just in case. :D

On the DV front, I have loads of those same stories. :D Stories where we've gotten them pro bono attorneys by cashing in on our good relations with the attorneys and then the girl recants. Stories where we've brought to bear so many resources to help them and they turn on us, claim we coerced them, etc etc etc. At first it really got to me, but I learned to keep telling myself that it takes on average 7 attempts for a woman to really leave, that a woman is most at risk of being killed during the time she is leaving, and that I want to make sure I'm there to help her when she makes a break that sticks and I don't want to fail her during the time when she's most vulnerable. And the few that really worked, really left, really made use of the resources and were really appreciative made every day worthwhile. It's those ladies that are responsible for me finding my life's work, so I thank them. Even the ones who go back. :D