BC Boards

Back from Scotland

sea4th

I had the time of my life, and I will be going back. Beautiful country, great people---I will never forget this trip.

And in order to help me remember this trip, I took over 500 digital photos of the International and the countryside. Since I don't have DSL they are painstakingly slow to upload, but I will piece meal you guys to death with the pictures as I upload them. I've included some of the borders in Scotland. I've got plenty more so if you guys want to see the countryside as well, let me know.

The pics are out of order, and the captions I made up are sort of lame, but bear with me, I will get them organized. I lost my original marked catalogue of the Thursday runs, so I'm not quite sure who is who, but am posting the pictures anyway.

So, here are some shots of some of the runs on Thursday:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v297/BCB...rnational%2006/

I stayed at a B&B in the village of Ancrum---talk about stepping into another century!! Dead silence at night---not even the sound of far off traffic.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome...=8AcN2jJm5ZNWSZ

A few shots from my first day there. Halfway into the second day, driving the UK way pretty much became second nature and I loved it. My little lawnmower of a car, some sort of Toyota, was a gutsy little thing and got me out of muddy fields, through the highlands, along the country lanes in the borders.:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome...=8AcN2jJm5ZNWSq

My last day, I received a heavenly sign that all is well and that I will be coming back to Scotland. Driving down from the mists of the highlands, the clouds parted, the sun shone through and there was a rainbow. Yep. I will be back.

Enjoy.

Yeah for you! It is a lovely place to be, isn't it? So glad you had a good time.

I had the pleasure a number of years ago of traipsing through northern England, southern Scotland and staying in Wales during the International and, like yours, it was a trip to remember! Beautiful country, grand dogs, and lovely, hospitable people. Thanks for the photos! Oh, aye... keep 'em coming!

Wonderful photos! Your pictures remind me a lot of N. England where I staying in 1989. We toured Hadrian's Wall, walked with sheep on the fields and made a visit to the Cheviot hills. SIGH....I'd love to go back there again

OH - I can't wait to see the pictures...my work won't let me view them!!!! I'm whining here because I really want to see them.

Hubby and I went to Scotland on our honeymoon and LOVED it!!! We stayed at a B&B in Inverness that was a sheep farm and that was our first taste of seeing border collies work...he had two he worked brace.

Glad you made it back safely, Vicki!!!

OK then. I'll try to post some pics every couple of days.

I stayed at a B&B in the little village of Ancrum. It was a country manor built in 1722, far removed from even the village itself. Nearby is the old cemetary on the outskirts of Ancrum. The abbey was built in the 1100's sometime. The sun shines on the "newer" portion of the graveyard and the latest date there is 1991. These days, people are buried in the churchyard in the town by the church, the Church of Scotland. The old cemetary is now maintained for it's history. On the other side of the abbey is the old, original graveyard. The road leading to the graveyard snakes down a hill through some thick woods. And then you emerge from the woods and the churchyard unfolds before you. The only thing you can hear is the river rushing behind the stone walls around the cemetary. There is a picture in the link of Ancrum above, of the gate leading out of the older portion of the graveyard, which is always in the shadows of ancient trees and surrounded by an ancient stone wall. I walked through this gate which was open, and up the path to the arched stone bridge overlooking the river. There are pictures of that, although out of sequence. On the other side of the bridge are some old stone buildings, which at first I thought were for maintenance equipment, because someone does cut the grass, but upon looking closer, I saw that they had been long abandoned, and didn't have a closer look, which I would have done had I had someone with me. By this time, I was beginning to feel creeped out. Walking around the old & dark part of the graveyard, a crow suddenly cawed really loud and scared the @%$& out of me. Remember, the sounds of civilization are even rare during the day, and entering the cemetary is like stepping into yet another world. Beautiful, peaceful, but yet this church yard was it's own entity and at the same time, to me, was rather unsettling.

About 4 miles down the road in Jedburgh are the ruins of a much bigger abbey--got pics of those too---in whose shadow stands the home of Mary Queen of Scots.

And my last day there---the Wallace monument. Beyond words.

More to come. :0))

We don't stay in places like that. Have to be able to walk to the "local". Speaking of which, since you went to the Borders, did you tast and Borders hand-pulled ales? My husband still lusts for them.

And those suer look like Swaledale sheep - small. tough, great mothers who always have twins. I keep hoping to smuggle home a pair of lambs and register them with Animal Control as Yorkshire Horned Wooldogs.

BTW, that Toyota sure looks like the Yaris my daughter just bought -and loves.

There is a saddleback-colored dog in your photos that looks so similar to my Gael
Yep. That's Bill, owned by J. Casey. I took tons of pictures of Bill because first, he reminded me of my Pete and secondly, he is almost the spittin' image of Pete's son. J. Casey won the Brace with Bill and Jill. I spoke with him briefly as he was preparing for his run. He said he had just recently returned from the US, Wyoming, after having had judged a trial there.

Bill was bred by Glyn Jones and is by Moel Roy. The Moel dogs I've always found interesting.

did you tast and Borders hand-pulled ales? My husband still lusts for them.
Hmm. My original plans were to go with a friend and meet up with some other plans. All of that fell through and I wound up going myself. What does that have to do with drinking ale? I would have had no designated driver, and I didn't want to get locked up in a Scottish pokey.

Ah, that's why we always pick a B&B in walking distance of a great pub. Then again, we have half pints with meals. But walking is more fun than driving at night. Althoug I do find driving on the "proper" side, rahter than the right side, to be more natural. Heck, we are starting to get round-abouts - and we have to concentrate to go right instead of left into them.

Althoug I do find driving on the "proper" side, rahter than the right side, to be more natural. Heck, we are starting to get round-abouts - and we have to concentrate to go right instead of left into them.
I couldn't agree with you more, Nancy. Somehow it makes a lot more sense, the UK way of driving. I loved it---uh, once I got used to it. I learned by total immersion in Edinburgh, I got lost and it took me five hours to get out. But I learned and getting lost was fun over there anyway.

I broke down and got DSL, so as of yesterday, I'm officially "high speed". So now I can upload the rest of the pics in a reasonable amount of time and in a better format than Snapfish--which I saw required registration just to view photos.

Sorry about that.

In the meantime, I thought this was kind of interesting:

http://invite.filmloop.com/x?cwowVcLOAWXs9...kFHH9GtzUxg10Qx